My recruiting Updates

34,371 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cevans_40
Punked Shank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
beerad12man said:

I think sumlin was average to at best slightly above average mas a recruiter. Top 15 isn't "very well" for what all we have to sell. It's merely average. We can't be comparing it to what Sherman or Fran we're recruiting to. They didn't have anywhere near as much to sell.

In the last 2 classes we landed 16 4 stars and 29 3 stars. That's a bad ratio of studs to lower tier
Guys we had to settle on.

Nobody had then what they have today. A&M has always had the current, of the day, bad ads facilities.

Such a dumb statement.

It's the same but a different decade.

No one is 2008 had what we have today. No one today has what we'll have on 2020.
beerad12man
AG
Are you saying my statement is dumb? You might want to rethink that for multiple reasons.

In comparison now vs then, our facilities are top of the line. Saying we have always had the current, bad ass facilities couldn't be further from the truth. Back towards the end of RC and when Sherman and Fran got here, they were not. They were arguably not even middle of the pack in our own conference. We had really let them slip.

We also have the sell of the sec now which cannot be understated. This makes a huge difference alone.

In Shermans case, he was trying to repair high school relationships broken from Fran whereas Sumlin had the benefit of taking over a situation that had already been repaired.

Lastly, both Sherman and fran didn't win right out of the gates. Sumlin going 20-6 and Manziel winning a heisman should have led to a much more talented team than we have now. Sumlin screwed this up badly IMO.

Sumlin was a very average recruiter considering all he had to sell. Especially when you factor in evaluations, team needs, etc. We constantly lacked depth at multiple positions and/or just flat out missed altogether on certain positions some years. Very overrated and people only thought it was great because it was better than Sherman and Fran in the Big 12 with lesser facilities and support.

It's time we upped our expectations and realize that we shouldn't be celebrating 12, 18, and 12th ranked recruiting classes and that these should be our classes in "down" years.
CreedBratton
Internet fights are the best
DM44
It would be interesting to hear the differences in recruiting between Fisher and Sumlin.

I can imagine...

Sumlin

Man, come to A&M and it will be a blast. We play tunes during practice, have a barbershop in the crib and celebrate with a pimp-stick. Life will be a party! Hey, you want to take a ride in the Swag Copter?

Foster

A&M is going to win the SEC and a national championship in the next 4 years. Will you work your butt off to be a winner? Do you want to be part of a winning program? Do you want to play for coaches who can get you into the NFL? If you answer yes to those 3 questions then I want you on our team! If you are thinking no to any of my questions, then you should talk to Tom Herman.
Tripacer
DM44 said:

It would be interesting to hear the differences in recruiting between Fisher and Sumlin.

I can imagine...

Sumlin

Man, come to A&M and it will be a blast. We play tunes during practice, have a barbershop in the crib and celebrate with a pimp-stick. Life will be a party! Hey, you want to take a ride in the Swag Copter?

Foster

A&M is going to win the SEC and a national championship in the next 4 years. Will you work your butt off to be a winner? Do you want to be part of a winning program? Do you want to play for coaches who can get you into the NFL? If you answer yes to those 3 questions then I want you on our team! If you are thinking no to any of my questions, then you should talk to Tom Herman.

We got Bud Foster? Wow!
98WFSCAG
AG
Blue star for Holden comment
Chosen One

Don't act like a jerk in other peoples houses. This is the recruiting board not the Old Rivals board, if you are a Texas fan, then be respectful and take it to the Old Rivals board. This board is for recruiting information not talking smack.
tehmackdaddy
AG
Texas has 7 of the top 10 players in the state for 2018 (and 10 of the top 15). That can't start happening again.
Chosen One
Jumbo will give you a huge recruiting boost in 2019.
MidTnAg
AG
tehmackdaddy said:

Texas has 7 of the top 10 players in the state for 2018 (and 10 of the top 15). That can't start happening again.
They must love to be hugged and kissed by other males.
beerad12man
AG
Jimbos biggest impact will start to be felt in the 2019 signing class, but I do expect this to be a pretty fun January.
Foxo
AG
With Ags losing only 7 of 24 starters and getting 2 back from the injury list, we don't need any new players. Shut it down.
tehmackdaddy
AG
MidTnAg said:

tehmackdaddy said:

They must love to be hugged and kissed by other males.
I don't care what they love, but pretending recruiting hasn't been a problem isn't going to help. This year's class is dominated by Texas. 2016 & 2017 by out of state teams. It has been since 2015's class that A&M had a good year in-state, and that year hasn't panned out that great either:

Mack - underperformed
Kirk - homerun
Murray - terrible and gone
Dunning - retired due to injury
Lockhart - gone
Pryor - beat out by a Freshman this year

1 out of our top 6 has panned out from that 2015 class.
AnalogyAg
Hey Chosen One-

if you really disapprove of that, then why leave up that quote after staff deleted it? i suspect that as a 'sip, you really like seeing that quote on this board.

dont be disingenuous!
Chosen One
AnalogyAg said:

Hey Chosen One-

if you really disapprove of that, then why leave up that quote after staff deleted it? i suspect that as a 'sip, you really like seeing that quote on this board.

dont be disingenuous!
Done.

I have a lot of fun acting like a jerk in the Old Rivalries board, but here and on the Football forum, I try to be respectful and more genuine in my comments.
AnalogyAg
ok- well done Chosen One.

Ronnie Mund
AnalogyAg said:

Hey Chosen One-

dont be disingenuous!
Chosen One isn't a teasip. He is a Minnesota State graduate that "trolls" Old Rivalries.
Your Friend
Ronnie Mund said:

AnalogyAg said:

Hey Chosen One-

dont be disingenuous!
Chosen One isn't a teasip. He is a Minnesota State graduate that "trolls" Old Rivalries.

Damn for real?
Chosen One
Yes, I'm from San Antonio, and received a scholarship to wrestle at Minnesota State. Back then it was a pretty small school and unlike the state of Texas, people in Minnesota love wrestling. We usually had excellent turn out to meets and opens. I'd never complain about a free education especially since I'm having to pay for one right now for my oldest son.
cevans_40
AG
T-shirt fans
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.