Lufkin, Texas where are you studs?

6,014 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LegettHall
LegettHall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not many years ago they had several each year being recruited.

Coach Outlaw (deceased) had strong teams.

I don't know if "several" (or any) were recruited.

That school has lost a lot of kids. People moving to Diboll or anywhere out of the Lufkin district.
Bone6
The population of the city is steadily growing (at least up to the 2013 Census). I can't think of the last blue chipper from there though.
Meximan
The rise of Bishop Gorman and IMG has changed the face of recruiting and talent concentrations, but I suppose in this case it could just be a cyclical valley.
dirkjones
AG
Bone6 said:

The population of the city is steadily growing (at least up to the 2013 Census). I can't think of the last blue chipper from there though.

Probably some guy named Dez. Lufkin has lost lots of industry the last 5 years.
Bone6
He graduated from Lufkin 10 years ago. It wasn't just Dez back then. They used to produce a couple 4 stars or better each year it seemed like.
BBDP
AG
http://lufkindailynews.com/news/article_535332f2-f437-11e3-a177-0019bb2963f4.html
Does Joel Davis have more kids coming up?
Tamu_mgm
AG
We got a good one out of Lufkin two classes ago in Erik McCoy.
LegettHall
Yeah, the are smaller.

Coach Outlaw may have something to do with the athletes they produced, too.
74Ag17
Reggie McNeal was a four sport athlete from Lufkin who had some stars. One of Fran's boys. He could fly ... just ask K State
Meximan
I just have to say, Coach Outlaw is about the most badass name for a head coach ever.
Bone6
Quote:

One of Fran's boys. He could fly ... just ask K State
Hey played for Fran, but certainly wasn't one of Fran's "boys"/recruits. He was recruited by RC, and had major problems with Fran his senior year due to Fran shifting from a dynamic, passing offense in 04 to a conservative option attack Reggie's senior year.
LegettHall
Meximan said:

I just have to say, Coach Outlaw is about the most badass name for a head coach ever.

My wife grew up in Lufkin. If they didn't win district, fans were less than thrilled. I would go into a convenience store for coffee and talk football for 2 hours to a stranger. They were into their football program.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/49223-top-10-high-school-football-programs-of-all-time

Lucas Davis Correspondent January 25, 2017

Here are the top 10 high school football teams of all-time. The list was compiled based on winning percentage, alumni, and facilities.

Lufkin's program is ranked #10 nationally.

10. Lufkin High School (Lufkin, Texas)
Lufkin High School is known for their pride in their football team. On Friday nights the whole town comes out to see the team play. LHS has superb training facilities, which is one of the reasons why they are usually ranked in the USA Today top 25 polls.

Winning is very important to the Panthers, and it is what they tend to do. Since 2000, the football team has gone 88-14. Very impressive considering the level of competition they play.

9. Southlake Carroll High School (Southlake, Texas)

8. Northwestern High School (Miami, Florida)

7. Long Beach Poly High School (Long Beach, California)

6. Hoover High School (Hoover, Alabama)

5. Oaks Christian High School (Westlake Village, California)

4. Jenks High School (Jenks, Oklahoma)

3. Orange Lutheran High School (Orange, California)

2. Katy High School (Katy, Texas)

1. De La Salle High School (Concord, California)

1. De La Salle High School (Concord, California)

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.