Baylor, Texas

9,731 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LegettHall
LegettHall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Baylor has done an miracle of almost biblical proportions. #34 per Rivals.

UT is lagging. #35 per Rivals.
Schrute
Looks like Baylor is forcing their way up the rankings.
TMartin
~The worst of what is going to happen to baylol is yet to come. Recruits must have been told it's business as usual. Where are these kids parents?
jsamjenkins
AG
Just heard Tom Herman say on ESPN - after being asked "What will make recruiting a success for you?" - "It already is a success." He's pumping sunshine, which I guess is his job.
swc93
AG
Can not believe parents would let their kids sign on to a still listing ship.

But; they aren't my kids...so good luck fools.

Baylor had 1 recruit listed before Christmas and since that time they have passed the horns WHO should have been seeing a bump in recruiting that usually follows hiring a new coach.
Goose
AG
Baylor's ranking at 30 is due to quantity, not quality. And it really can't be all that difficult to convince a bunch of 2 and 3 star prospects (and their parents) to come play in a Power 5-ish conference and get a free education that'd cost them $250k otherwise.

Parent: ok, but what about all the raping and stuff
Recruiter: What? oh that, yeah we don't do that anymore.
Parent: Where do we sign!?!?!
LegettHall
They are due to quantity. They still did far better than I imagined.

LegettHall
Report: NCAA won't impose broad sanctions against Baylor

Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 12:01 am
Report: NCAA won't impose broad sanctions against Baylor Staff report Waco Tribune-Herald

The NCAA has notified Baylor that it won't exert its executive authority to impose sweeping sanctions for broad institutional failings in the wake of the university's sexual assault scandal, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The NCAA won't bring the hammer down on the Baylor football program the way it did in Penn State's child molestation case involving former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, sources familiar with the matter told the WSJ.

The NCAA hit Penn State with a four-year bowl ban and scholarship reductions in 2012, and the school agreed to pay $60 million to fight child abuse. Sandusky was convicted of abusing boys over a 15-year period. Penn State only had to serve a two-year bowl ban after the NCAA reduced the penalty in 2014.

However, the WSJ reported that Baylor still faces a more narrow NCAA probe, and the investigation will likely focus on whether Baylor athletes received preferential treatment through the school's disciplinary process.
An NCAA spokesperson told the Tribune-Herald: "Due to rules put in our place by our members, we cannot comment on current, pending or potential investigations."

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/football/report-ncaa-won-t-impose-broad-sanctions-against-baylor/article_be4c0652-6e49-5513-afcf-b15dde397035.html

Meximan
The issue with the NCAA and Baylor is that it's a criminal matter, not a recruiting matter. They overstepped their bounds with Penn State and know it, so they're being careful not to have a repeat of that fiasco.

That being true, the unending flurry of embarrassments and scandals within the athletic department is about to cross one boundary too many and put them squarely in the NCAA's crosshairs. It feels like just a matter of time at this point. I have never seen such an iniquitous and decadent cesspool as what is happening at Baylor right now.
Jimmie Dimmick
Seems like a textbook case of lack of instituional control if there ever was one.
94chem
Quote:

get a free education that'd cost them $250k otherwise
Replace "education" with "cancer" and it doesn't seem so attractive anymore.
MAROON
AG
Schrute said:

Looks like Baylor is forcing their way up the rankings.
Baylor doesn't take "No" for an answer
LegettHall
LegettHall said:

Baylor has done an miracle of almost biblical proportions. #34 per Rivals.

UT is lagging. #35 per Rivals.
If there are biblical miracles, they pulled one off.

I seem to recall they were down to one recruit at one time.
Chosen One
I don't know what their ranking was 2 months ago but Baylor just got commitments from about 4 kids today.

I don't follow Baylor recruiting closely, but they seem to be doing very well.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Chosen One said:

I don't know what their ranking was 2 months ago but Baylor just got commitments from about 4 kids today.

I don't follow Baylor recruiting closely, but they seem to be doing very well.
Quantity does not mean quality. They got a bunch of low 3 star kids, none of which we offered. I would say they're gaining traction, but until the final rankings come in, I'd hold off before saying they're doing "very well"
LegettHall
They were down to one. I remember the lone gun talking about why he stayed.

Rivals has them at #18 for 2018. But 11 of their 12 commits are 3-stars per Rivals.

Still, I thought they would be lucky to recruit me--I ran the 40 in my prime in a decade--let alone do what they did for the 2017 class.
MaxPower
Meximan said:

The issue with the NCAA and Baylor is that it's a criminal matter, not a recruiting matter. They overstepped their bounds with Penn State and know it, so they're being careful not to have a repeat of that fiasco.

That being true, the unending flurry of embarrassments and scandals within the athletic department is about to cross one boundary too many and put them squarely in the NCAA's crosshairs. It feels like just a matter of time at this point. I have never seen such an iniquitous and decadent cesspool as what is happening at Baylor right now.

Wrong. It is an NCAA issue. If you raped a girl how much would you pay investigators to sweep it under the rug? The point is that preferential treatment had value that exceeded the bounds of what NCAA institutions are allowed to provide. Think of it as free "legal services" that were rendered, which were almost certainly more valuable than a few $100 bills in pizza boxes.......
LegettHall
1) The NCAA is exactly where it has been in most cases that involve potential violations of state and federal law but no known violations of NCAA rules . It is out of its depth.

2) Baylorspecifically Baylor football, because why punish the track team?is not getting the death penalty.
This may enrage you if you've read the accusations of gang rape, victim shaming and a cover-up that went to the top of Baylor's athletic department detailed in a civil suit served upon the school Tuesday by attorneys for a former Bears volleyball player.

If even a fraction of what is alleged is true, those responsible should face serious punishment from every organization that governed them while employed at Baylor.

But they won't. Sure, Baylor fired coach Art Briles and president Ken Starr and forced out athletic director Ian McCaw. But none of them is going to jail. In fact, Briles got paid millions to go away and keep his mouth shut. (He didn't do either but still has the money.) McCaw, meanwhile, got hired for the same job at Liberty University. The NCAA, meanwhile, has done nothing because it can't do anything.

From Why the NCAA isn't going to punish Baylor
Sports Illustrated
17 May 2017

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/05/17/baylor-sexual-assault-scandal-lawsuit-ncaa-death-penalty

The NCAA can do nothing legally?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.