DT Recruiting

6,778 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Nino Brown
Maroon Flash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Playing DT in the SEC requires a thuggish, nasty disposition between the lines.

I am sorry we didn't make Wilson's cut but we ought to be able to find a couple of guys with the first step, frame, and nasty attitude required.

It isn't necessary for the recruits to already be up to playing weight like Wilson is, just be nasty mean guys that can play after a year of lifting and eating. I hope Dave Turner can sign them.

Bone6
Quote:

but we ought to be able to find a couple of guys with the first step, frame, and nasty attitude required
Is this a joke?

As Bill Parcells always said, there are only so many human beings walking around in this world that are meant to carry the type of size to play the lines.

After not getting any DT's last year (although it sounds like Madubuike might move to it), we just need sign some bodies this year now that we've lost out on the Wilson sweepstakes and hope that they grow into Spencer Nealy/Kirby Ennis caliber contributors even if the chance of them ever contending for all SEC or being a first day draft pick is really unlikely.
beerad12man
AG
You can't just sign bodies and hope it works out. don't forget Moton who is redshirting too. We basically got two DTs with him and Madubiuke who might play both DE and DT, but is more than capable of giving you depth at DT. You have to find guys that can truly play in this league otherwise it's a wasted ship. With Moton and Madubiuke from last year, Peevy already committed this year, and the 2018 class looking stronger in terms of where we stand with Bobby Brown, Dominic Livingstong, and Keondre Coburn, just try to find one more who is the best you can get. Don't take a bunch of bodies. Take 3, 4 in 2018 if you have to. Much more talent there that we are in on.
Meximan
It would be a better idea to target more dbag Lousianimals and Mississippi kids than Texas kids. Those guys want to hurt people on every play.
Meximan
beerad12man said:

You can't just sign bodies and hope it works out. don't forget Moton who is redshirting too. We basically got two DTs with him and Madubiuke who might play both DE and DT, but is more than capable of giving you depth at DT. You have to find guys that can truly play in this league otherwise it's a wasted ship. With Moton and Madubiuke from last year, Peevy already committed this year, and the 2018 class looking stronger in terms of where we stand with Bobby Brown, Dominic Livingstong, and Keondre Coburn, just try to find one more who is the best you can get. Don't take a bunch of bodies. Take 3, 4 in 2018 if you have to. Much more talent there that we are in on.
The issue is, with Peevy, Madubuike, Henderson, and Moton, that's four guys for two spots in a four-man base front. Unless there's other guys I haven't heard about (haven't dug through the roster to pick out who's graduating and who's staying), you can't run an SEC squad with a single 2-deep of interior linemen. You need six to nine to have a serviceable rotation at DT. With only four players, if three players get injured, you're rotating in players from the ends to play on the inside, out of a rotation that is in itself thin at outside end. Line depth has become a critical issue going into next season, and an already thin front that could ill afford injury gets even thinner than it was this year.

Really, Sumlin's recruiting is reminding me of the Dallas Cowboys' drafting before Jerry surrendered control; they always were stacked in one unit, but thin and undermanned in others. One year they were short on offensive linemen, the next short on linebackers. Sumlin's reactive recruiting and over-signing of receivers and DBs has created the same issues. He has tons of wideouts and DBs on the roster, but not nearly enough front-seven players and almost no tight ends. An SEC team does not need 15 receivers and 18 cornerbacks (this is only a mild exaggeration; he still has about a dozen or more of each on the roster, which accounts for literally 1/4 of the program's total scholarships from only two units).

A smart coach recruits a certain number of players at every position, until a steady stream of players comes in at all positions, protecting against understaffing and ensuring there are always enough players to go three to four deep on the roster at all positions. They won't all pan out, but at least if you lose three players to injury you don't abruptly lose a literal 3/5th of your roster depth at that unit.

PS Edit: I said cornerbacks in paragraph 2, I meant DBs, safeties and corners. The incoming class has 4 receivers and 3 safeties so far, with no corners. That's still 1/4 of the class.
beerad12man
AG
Chevis and Mack along with your second dt from this year
Oknows
AG
DTs next year: Henderson, Keke, Mack, Chevis, Moton, Peevy

That's more than enough and plenty of talent. Our issues are at LB and CB.
12thMan86
AG
Oknows said:

DTs next year: Henderson, Keke, Mack, Chevis, Moton, Peevy

That's more than enough and plenty of talent. Our issues are at LB and CB.

And d end
Maroon Flash
AG
I am not advocating signing bodies. I am advocating taking two more guys who have a thuggish mentality with the pads on that project to be a SEC DT in a couple of years.

Look at Reggie Chevis. Took him a couple of years to get the weight on, but he plays hard.

We may not get the 5 star guy that is 6' 4" 320 but may get a 3 star that is 6' 4" 260 lb and will be big enough to be a good DT in a couple of years.

technoviking
AG
From the numbers site on day one of the army all American bowl practice:

Quote:

Jayden Peevy, DL This is only Peevy's second year playing football. You can tell. He plays high and he doesn't yet know how to use his hands. I wouldn't count on him playing as a freshman at Texas A&M but I do think he has first round upside long term. His frame is unreal and he's extremely athletic.

While not the best news, I'm all for having guys that have the Measurables. It pays off if you can develop them i.e. Mike Evans. I think we'll know what to expect from Mr Peevy in his career here based on what David Turner has done with TD Moton this year going into next year.
TAM85
First round upside is good news to me.
Bone6
Quote:

I am advocating taking two more guys who have a thuggish mentality with the pads on that project to be a SEC DT in a couple of years.
And my point is these guys don't exist at the DT position at this point in the year. What you're describing is a blue chipper who already has a ton of offers at this point in the recruiting cycle.

This isn't EA Sports NCAA football. A guy who strongly projects to be an SEC caliber DT (with a thuggish mentality) is going to be a blue chipper/4 star or better that we would have been needing to have been recruiting hard since last spring. At this point our options are:

A) . A kid who projects to be a solid college football player yet not necessarily "SEC caliber" or a kid who has any chance of being a first day draft choice in 4 years. This is a safe bet, but you know what you're getting, and it's not a kid who would see the field for LSU or Alabama certainly.

B) . A raw kid who's a solid football player with athletic ability that has to put on a ton of weight to play the position. This kid is either going to be a kid who is athletic yet would have to put on a ton of weight to play the DT position (think sub 250 lbs to over 300) where you have no idea whether he would maintain the necessarily athletic ability once he added the 50 plus pounds. You're absolutely playing roulette with one of these kids.

C) . A kid who has the size/weight and seems to be athletic enough yet he simply hasn't been the caliber of football player up to this point in his career to belong in the SEC. You sign him hoping your program can create some mental toughness within him and/or convert enough fat into muscle to make him the type of football player our program needs to be. This one is also a gamble.

Quote:

Look at Reggie Chevis. Took him a couple of years to get the weight on, but he plays hard.

I'm a big fan of Chevis, and am glad that he has become a contributor.

Having said that, he was a kid that we (and to my knowledge all the schools that recruiting him) projected him at LB out of HS. If we recruit kids who project at LB or even DE in HS who need to put on a ton of weight to be DT's, we're going to end up with a lot of kids who never end up seeing the field for us.
TMF
AG
You find guys that with proper diet and coaching can develop. Maybe someone overweight and could gain some quickness with proper diet and training. A 3 star who could redshirt and hopefully contribute his redshirt sophomore or junior year. It's a crap shoot but you have a chance if you can evaluate potential. Have to be a great scout. Like Sherman.
beerad12man
AG
The majority of Reggie Chevis types don't work out and it takes a dozen recruits like him to end up with 1-2 quality players.

That's my concern with our DT options this year. I really wish we could have found a JUCO or 2 along with maybe even a grad transfer. I hope we take 1 more HS DT for the sake of numbers, but unless you're confident in both, I wouldn't take 2. I would have mcuh rather had 1 more HS DT and 1 JUCO/grad transfer DT.
technoviking
AG

i did not realize how massive this Peevy kid is. Chavis, D. Turner and Price need to coach this kid up. he could be awesome
technoviking
AG
Quote:

The West defense got some good pressure from defensive tackles Jay Tufele and Jayden Peevy. A Texas A&M commit, Peevy is especially intriguing considering the fact that he has only been playing football for two years. His potential is sky high.
us army all american game west final practice notes
Schrute
technoviking said:

Quote:

The West defense got some good pressure from defensive tackles Jay Tufele and Jayden Peevy. A Texas A&M commit, Peevy is especially intriguing considering the fact that he has only been playing football for two years. His potential is sky high.
us army all american game west final practice notes
Quote:

Ohio State pledge Tate Martell was surprisingly inaccurate and threw a pair of interceptions.
That's ass my dudes.
technoviking
AG
you know, I read that and chuckled. yet, I did not think to post it. thank you for posting that, I'd like to post it on the aggie football forum if you aren't planning to.
Nino Brown
Meximan said:

It would be a better idea to target more dbag Lousianimals and Mississippi kids than Texas kids. Those guys want to hurt people on every play.
Been saying this for a few years now. You're better off getting 3 and two star DT's and LB's from those state who are hungry and have something to prove.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.