2017 Signing Class - The Home Stretch

15,193 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mort Rainey
SEC Champs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sitting at 26 now... With Lockhart leaving, do we take 5 or 6 more?

1) Travis Etienne APB
2) Kendall Sheffield CB
3) Levi Jones LB
4) Bryan Jones DE
5) ???
6) ???
MSL Ag
AG
Hopefully Wilson.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggieclay
How're we looking with Sheffield and when is he supposed to announce?
technoviking
AG
All the crystal balls are saying he comes to aggieland. He left bama because of playing time concerns/was homesick I believe. Here he can play immediately and is back in Texas. Our competition is Ohio State, where I think he would have to sit and be away from home all over again.

I'm not sure when he announces. I imagine it would be sooner than later.
AgsForTheWin
AG
Perroni said he would likely announce later this week
Tamu_mgm
AG
Most likely coming to A&M, especially since tOSU has a freaking 5* CB trending towards them in Darnay Holmes
AgsForTheWin
AG
Is he an early enrollee?
FrontPorchAg
Wouldn't Kendall be a spring enrollee?
technoviking
AG
AgsForTheWin said:

Is he an early enrollee?

According to numbers site, yes
technoviking
AG
Mtn_Guide said:

Wouldn't Kendall be a spring enrollee?
The clock face to the left of their class year number means that recruit is an early enrollee
MagnumLoad
Why is Lockhart leaving?
SECTAMU#1
Maybe Corey Bethley DT and/or Stephan Zabie OL
CrazyDayDuck
Wede01 said:

1) Travis Etienne APB
2) Kendall Sheffield CB
3) Levi Jones LB
4) Bryan Jones DE
5) ???
6) ???

Those 4 would be a most excellent close.

Save the remaining two spots for any possible transfers or early enrollees next year.

CrazyDayDuck
SECTAMU#1 said:

Better yet
beerad12man
AG
You have to get a DT down the stretch.
CrazyDayDuck
beerad12man said:

Maybe.

However, we had another one in Tyree Owens but went our separate ways once Henderson decided to stay for another year.

Madubuike is going to moved to DT.
Aggie87
AG
Toe-Nail Carter?
technoviking
AG
Aggie87 said:

Toe-Nail Carter?

Loads of crystals balls coming in for him for the sips
Tamu_mgm
AG
Someone sell me on Bethley. He just does not seem to have the size for the SEC. I mean 6'1", 270, and even if he is heavier than that, he's only 6'1.
beerad12man
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

beerad12man said:

Maybe.

However, we had another one in Tyree Owens but went our separate ways once Henderson decided to stay for another year.

Madubuike is going to moved to DT.
That wasn't the reason. He couldn't get in for midterm and he wasn't good enough to be a May grad. So we dropped him. It wasn't because of henderson.

And Madubiuke is an unknown
beerad12man
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

Someone sell me on Bethley. He just does not seem to have the size for the SEC. I mean 6'1", 270, and even if he is heavier than that, he's only 6'1.
While it isn't ideal, there's 6-1 DTs in the NFL and littered all throughout the SEC.

He's quick and can get penetration like Chief wants. You can't have a roster full of 6-1 DTs, but to have a couple on the roster who are quick is just fine. It's better than taking a 6-5 slow guy who can't do what chief wants him to do.

Chief is a 1 gap penetrating system (though Turner came in and did some 2 gap this year, but it still isn't what Chief normally does) Quick DTs are more important to chavis than pure size. Bethley can get to 6-1 295-300. Then the only question becomes is he quick enough to make up for lacking an inch or two of height.

Florida is the best 4-3 defense in the sec and their 2 deep DTs are listed at 6-3, 6-2, 6-2, and 6-5. 6-2 versus 6-1 isn't that big of a deal. Who knows, one of those 6-2 guys may be no taller than Bethley.
SECTAMU#1
Wede01 said:

1) Travis Etienne APB maybe
2) Kendall Sheffield CB No
3) Levi Jones LB maybe
4) Bryan Jones DE maybe
5) ???
6) ???
Corey Bethley maybe
Meximan
6'1" is fine. Arm length matters more than overall height; quick, deft hands and a fast step help more than that, even. Strength and power are great, but at the highest levels you utilize your agility more than your bull rush.

In some ways, being shorter actually helps; you get underneath your foe much easier, and gain leverage. The issue is when you get stood up, and as you get taller it actually gets easier to get stood up straight. This is the reason why there aren't a lot of guys 6'8" and taller in the pros (or college for that matter). If height mattered that much, everyone would be 7 feet, like in the NBA, where it matters more (you don't attempt to get underneath your man in the NBA, you try to go over him). The reason coaches tend to gravitate towards tall guys first is that they tend to have longer arms, by definition, not because their height gives them any innate advantage; in a lot of ways, it can actually be a disadvantage.

Some notable short guys (and "short" guys) from the NFL:

Sam Mills (5'9" 230, linebacker)
Elvis Dumervil (5'11" 260 DE)
Casey Hampton (6'1" 320 [a plump 320] NT)
Vince Wilfork (6'2" 325 [a plump 325] NT)
Dat Nguyen (5'11" 240 LB)
Dwight Freeney (6'1" 270 DE)

The list goes on from there. Guys in the 6'0" to 6'2" range are actually not only common, but also tend to be the "right" height range for elite linemen and linebackers.
Meximan
P.S. TL;DR, the actual "good" range for height at almost every position is 6'0" to 6'3". 6'4" to 6'8" is "nice", especially at receiver and DB, but not necessary. 5'10" isn't even that short, and actually fairly common for DBs and linemen; many of the greatest players there ever were happened to be in that range, especially at skill positions. The player is actually "short" when he's 5'9" and shorter, but it isn't as big a disadvantage as people think it is.

The one position where height really tends to matter is at quarterback. If your blockers are all 6'4" and you're 5'11", you're going to have problems looking at the center of the field (if you roll out a lot, however, the issue is rendered moot, which is part of the reason Kubiak loves bootlegs so much).
aggieclay
Etienne was offered by the swamp kittens so he's out. I don't think we end up with Levi Jones after all but that's just a gut feeling. Hopefully it's just e. coli.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Thanks for the response. I guess i'm just a little underwhelmed by his offer list (1 SEC offer) and the fact that our current small / quick DT in Zaycoven (6'1 or 6'2 and 300lbs) that is similar to Bethley wasn't all that impressive this year in my opinion.
Class of 65
AG
Wede01 said:

1) Travis Etienne APB
2) Kendall Sheffield CB
3) Levi Jones LB
4) Bryan Jones DE
5) ???
6) ???
None of the above will wind up at A & M.
Oknows
AG
Levi Jones is a real possibility. Agree on the others.
Class of 65
AG
Levi Jones to Florida State.
HarveyBirdman
AG
I may have missed it, is there an update on Sheffield?
WestlakeAg96
AG
Levi Jones going to west coast school. Stanford or UCLA.
TAM85
Classes begin on the 17th. We will know about Sheffield by then. In my opinion he is the most important one still out there for us.
TMartin
Noil probably doesn't come back and Nacho just quit so does that give Sumlin two more spots this year?
SECTAMU#1
SECTAMU#1 said:

Looks like we will get Corey Bethley and not Zabie.
maxnow21
Guess how many prospects are visiting on the last weekend before NSD??? You won't believe it! #ClosingStrong
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.