Projecting for at least a top 15 class

18,978 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by LegettHall
Tamu_mgm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

In fact, since Elbert got hurt and left the team, we have only 12 scholarship OL on campus, and only 5 of them are 4 stars.

What the actual ***k??? Elbert left the team?? He was probably the best OL recruit out of the 2015 class, dude was wanted by Bama, Ohio St., Florida St. Why did he leave?
Raid05
AG
He didn't leave, he had career ending surgery.
MaxPower
Sumlin has lost control of Elbert's surgeon!
Escobars army
Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

In fact, since Elbert got hurt and left the team, we have only 12 scholarship OL on campus, and only 5 of them are 4 stars.

What the actual ***k??? Elbert left the team?? He was probably the best OL recruit out of the 2015 class, dude was wanted by Bama, Ohio St., Florida St. Why did he leave?

I would like to see if we had the worst attrition rate from transfers, injuries, behavior, and mental issues. It sure seems like an insane number over the past 4 years.
merch
Class shaping up ok. However, it does not appear that the key positions of OL and DL are getting the talent infusion necessary. Certainly not if you put weight in rankings. We need 4 star plus guys filling these positions to be able to consistently compete...all starts in the trenches and looks like we are coming up short again.

That said, there are many things to like about the class that is getting put together to date.
MidTnAg
AG
Quote:

That said, there are many things to like about the class that is getting put together to date.
However, there are way too many important parts missing and that will continue to prevent us from reaching into the Top 3 in the West.
technoviking
AG
MidTnAg said:

Quote:

However, there are way too many important parts missing and that will continue to prevent us from reaching into the Top 3 in the West.

What parts are missing aside from an elite OL haul?
CrazyDayDuck
technoviking said:

MidTnAg said:

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with this class. Turner can take these OL and turn them into good SEC-caliber OL in 2 or 3 years.

The problem is that OL recruiting was neglected over the past few years (before the '16 class, which was solid). Hence why we needed a couple of JUCOs, a true fish, a redshirt fish and a true Sophomore to start for us.

Next year it looks like we will have three sophomores (two of which were not redshirted) and three juniors (one of which was not redshirted).

We really need Connor to come back at full strength and for Turner to coach these guys up.
technoviking
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

technoviking said:

MidTnAg said:

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with this class. Turner can take these OL and turn them into good SEC-caliber OL in 2 or 3 years.

The problem is that OL recruiting was neglected over the past few years (before the '16 class, which was solid). Hence why we needed a couple of JUCOs, a true fish, a redshirt fish and a true Sophomore to start for us.

Next year it looks like we will have three sophomores (two of which were not redshirted) and three juniors (one of which was not redshirted).

We really need Connor to come back at full strength and for Turner to coach these guys up.

Next year's OL haul should be elite as well. I get what you're saying. Jim Turner will earn his paycheck the next couple of years while those guys are recruited/mature.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Escobars army said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

I would like to see if we had the worst attrition rate from transfers, injuries, behavior, and mental issues. It sure seems like an insane number over the past 4 years.
No kidding, seems like we have been way more unlucky than the rest when it comes to losing players to attrition, especially due to career-ending injury.
technoviking
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

Escobars army said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

No kidding, seems like we have been way more unlucky than the rest when it comes to losing players to attrition, especially due to career-ending injury.

I believe a lot of it has to do with the amount of coaching changes we've seen since 2013. 3 offensive coordinators and 2 defensive coordinators.

Fortunately, it looks like we're sticking with the coaches we have now.
Tamu_mgm
AG
technoviking said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Escobars army said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

I believe a lot of it has to do with the amount of coaching changes we've seen since 2013. 3 offensive coordinators and 2 defensive coordinators.

I don't see how coaching changes lead to career-ending injury.
technoviking
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

technoviking said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Escobars army said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

I don't see how coaching changes lead to career-ending injury.

My bad I was speaking to the word attrition, rather than the more specific season-ending injury bug.

Yeah, it's been crazy for the Aggies in that regard. It's a trend I hope has stopped.
beerad12man
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

I probably shouldn't have worded it that way as he may still be on the team, but he won't be playing football for us any more. He is medically retiring after the year.
beerad12man
AG
Escobars army said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

2013 was bad. The 2014, 2015, and 2016 class have been normal. If anything we have had less in those classes than average. Very good hit rate on 2014 and 2015 so far outside of the obvious 2 QBs.

Most schools have about 50% of their recruiting class leave out before even getting playing time. It's the whole point of recruiting depth and getting as many highly rated guys as you can. Everyone mentions 3 stars like Manziel or Evans panning out but conveniently leave out that we had dozens of 3 stars in the last few classes never see the field. We have the occasional 4 star never see the field too, but it's at a much better rate.
beerad12man
AG
I hope you're right, but Turner and Sherman also had quite a few 3 star OL never pan out during Turners firsts go around. Scales, Barrera, Naron in his first class come to mind. So I think it's an assumption just to assume we'll coach up mostly 3 star recruits against SEC west DLs. Plus 3 of our 5 OL commits have all had recent injuries, so if this doesn't concern you you are kidding yourselves.

There are a few things wrong with this class. We lack a great LT prospect(Green might become one but as of now he isn't a "great" one), and we lack pass rushers. Those also just so happened to be 2 of our biggest needs. We also lack numbers and quality at DT along with a great RB prospect. 1 good DT in Peevy, but that's just not enough. Kibodi is a mediocre recruit at best for oru RB. We also just overall have way too many lesser recruited/rated guys in comparison to the top of the sec.

This isn't to say that Green, Peevy, Bethley(if we get him), Kibodi, etc., all won't be great players. But on paper this class leaves a lot to be desired if your goal is to win, or at least strongly compete, for championships.
technoviking
AG
Looks like I was off. We ended up higher than I thought we'd project to be.

To be fair though I felt like this year was top heavy. The classes ahead of us had more star power per capita than the top classes from previous years, hence our final points made us #12 instead of in the 14-16 range like it would have the last few years.

All that being said, I'm very happy with this class. Hope y'all are too!
LegettHall
beerad12man said:

After watching them go 8-5 every year no you don't blindly trust them. especially when they continue to miss out on higher ranked guys and settle for less. If they truly take a 3 star over 4/5 stars sure, but in most cases we're missing our top targets and settling. That's concerning.

It isn't good enough. Our recruiting now gets us a lot of 8-5/9-4 seasons. Top 15 isn't good enough in this conference. It's the bare minimum to not get embarrassed most years.
Rivalsyes, I realize they get it wrong sometimes, people can and will debate thatrates the 2017 classes in the SEC: Alabama #1, Georgia #3, LSU #8, Florida #9, and us #10. Auburn #14, Tennessee #15, South Carolina #16.

You can't convince me we don't have the "platform" to do better.

Alabama has 7 five-star commits, Georgia 2, LSU 3, we have 1.

I ain't very smart but I think athletes matter.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.