Why is recruiting lagging right now?

5,354 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TMartin
C Loves L
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Currently 7-1 and have spent most of the season in the top 10 but no one is budging? Are they waiting to see heads roll? Hires?
maxnow21
Maybe they're waiting to see if Char.liesto.recruits Strong gets another year at the cesspool? What the **** do recruits see in that man? For Christ's sake look at his record and how awful he is as a coach.. Look at all the coaches he's had to fire, look how ****ing garbage their **** defense is. How is it not obvious as sunshine on a sunny day that A&M is a vastly superior program relative to all of the other instate and BDF schools? Someome please explain.
TMartin
With Chief, Mazzone and the rest of the staff in place and no distractions of any type I'm expecting Sumlin to show us his recruiting skills. Isn't that what the former administrator known as Mack Brown did at tu.
HumbleAg04
AG
Swaggercopter was at Episcopal Friday night to see Marvin and crew.

Kids want the attention of televised announcements... those happen during all star games and in Jan/Feb.
PeekingDuck
AG
Beat LSU and Ole Miss and they'll show up.
TMF
AG
This. We need to close out strong. They will then know we are for real. We have been pretenders the past few seasons with drama. Charlie will get some even with his record because it's Texas and in Austin. Some kids care more about that, which is probably why the suck so bad.
third deck
AG
I guess a $500M stadium, a rabid fan base that is more passionate than any other, a 7-1 record, and prime time TV appearances almost every other week don't go as far at they used to...

Maybe we need to think like recruits and just get that Nike contract in place ASAP... ;-)
badharambe
AG
I was at the houston christian and episcopal game last friday night and got to compare our staff members recruiting vs lsu recruiting. (we are recruiting players from both schools)

A&M:
Swagchoppa: It was cool, the big name recruits glanced over as it landed and took off.
Staff: We had a few staff members there including David Turner, our DT coach, and possibly Clarence McKinney, they arrived in the first quarter and stood on opposite sidelines watching the game. I never really saw them interact with coaches or parents and they left mid 3rd quarter.

LSU:
Ed Orgeron was there and was standing solely on the Episcopal sideline during the game. Our staff members talked to him for a while. At the beginning of halftime Orgeron talked to fans, and when Episcopal came out of the locker room to stretch, Orgeron talked to a lot of episcopal coaches. He left at the start of the 3rd quarter.

I'm sure we have contact with the players and coaches outside of game time, and maybe I missed a small conversation or two because I was watching the game, but it was strange to not see our staff interact during the time I watched them. My friends that coach football at high schools in Texas have said that A&M has rubbed some coaches the wrong way when it comes to recruiting because of our "we are the best school in Texas because we are in the SEC" attitude. Coaches have a big influence on their players and that could help explain the trouble in recruiting.

- mal hombre
C Loves L
third deck said:

I guess a $500M stadium, a rabid fan base that is more passionate than any other, a 7-1 record, and prime time TV appearances almost every other week don't go as far at they used to...

Maybe we need to think like recruits and just get that Nike contract in place ASAP... ;-)

Something something bagmen something something something
Meximan
badharambe said:

I was at the houston christian and episcopal game last friday night and got to compare our staff members recruiting vs lsu recruiting. (we are recruiting players from both schools)

A&M:
Swagchoppa: It was cool, the big name recruits glanced over as it landed and took off.
Staff: We had a few staff members there including David Turner, our DT coach, and possibly Clarence McKinney, they arrived in the first quarter and stood on opposite sidelines watching the game. I never really saw them interact with coaches or parents and they left mid 3rd quarter.

LSU:
Ed Orgeron was there and was standing solely on the Episcopal sideline during the game. Our staff members talked to him for a while. At the beginning of halftime Orgeron talked to fans, and when Episcopal came out of the locker room to stretch, Orgeron talked to a lot of episcopal coaches. He left at the start of the 3rd quarter.

I'm sure we have contact with the players and coaches outside of game time, and maybe I missed a small conversation or two because I was watching the game, but it was strange to not see our staff interact during the time I watched them. My friends that coach football at high schools in Texas have said that A&M has rubbed some coaches the wrong way when it comes to recruiting because of our "we are the best school in Texas because we are in the SEC" attitude. Coaches have a big influence on their players and that could help explain the trouble in recruiting.

- mal hombre
Well... it's true, isn't it?
czar_iv
AG
humility is a nice attribute to have
beerad12man
AG
Yeah, well if any people rubbed the wrong way by it steer a kid away from A&M because of an attitude, they need to gain some perspective and look at what is best for the player. A&M in the sec with this coaching staff is the best option for top recruits. Especially defensive recruits. That's not being conceited, it's just the way it is. Our defensive pitch better be "Don't go to a lesser conference with less exposure and play for a less proven coach(in comparison to Chavis)" I think that will once again start to prove itself in 2018 when we land a top 5 class, or at worst top 8-10. We damn well better be selling our A&M in the SEC is the better than everyone else pitch. It works with most.

Rubbing people the wrong way with that attitude isn't the reason. It's back to back 8-5 seasons. Recruiting is a 2 year lull. Meaning in 2012 we went 11-2, so we had a top 5 class in 2014. I expect to finish either 11-2 or 12-1 this year and finish with another top 5 class in 2018. 2017 will close fairly strong, too. Just won't be elite because we already have too many committed.

Despite back to back 8-5 seasons with multiple blowouts, we're going to finish with a class in the 10-15 range. That's concerning because it is still quite a step down from the top 2-3 in our own division, but it's hardly our issue. Our issue was poor play on the field the last two years combined with some off the field issues in regards to highly rated QB transfers. If we had even just gone 10-3 one of those years without the offseason distractions, we'd recruit top 10 every year. I'm doubting it has anything to do with people being rubbed the wrong way by our lack of humility.
MaxPower
We could be in on some big time transfers as well (Stidham and Sheffield). Sheffield is only rated as a 3* JUCO but that's an absurd ranking and shows how hard it is to rate at that level.

All that said, I think the lull has more to do with Sumlin being patient. Now that we are exceeding expectations he knows he is back on the map for big time recruits. He may have thought he would have to settle for the next tier down previously. As previously mentioned, many recruits don't commit til after their season end and the real big dogs typically wait till January. Why not dangle the line out there and see if you can reel a few in?
SEC Champs
AG
^ very insightful. Totally agree that JUCO recruits are overlooked and undervalued in recruiting rankings. We have some big time transfers heading here.
beerad12man
AG
Juco ratings suck, but in Sheffields case, I believe they are just waiting to make sure he is a part of the 2017 class before giving him his full ratings. I imagine he'll be a 4 star when all is said and done as long as he's eligible in 2017.
Silent For Too Long
Quote:

"we are the best school in Texas because we are in the SEC" attitude.
This seems completely ridiculous. uta has had a "we are the best in the world" attitude for 100 years.
Citizen Reign
badharambe said:

A&M:

LSU:

- mal hombre

As if LSU doesn't lay the SEC on thick.
Citizen Reign
Silent For Too Long said:

Quote:

"we are the best school in Texas because we are in the SEC" attitude.
This seems completely ridiculous. uta has had a "we are the best in the world" attitude for 100 years.

What his friend intended to say is, all the horn homer coaches don't like A&M stealing the spotlight.
TMartin
We could be in on some big time transfers as well (Stidham and Sheffield). Sheffield is only rated as a 3* JUCO but that's an absurd ranking and shows how hard it is to rate at that level.

Not too concerning considering what A&M has paraded as DBs lately. Priest Willis couldn't start at UCLA and now we know why but at least Chief gave it a shot. They can't all be Brandon Williams.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.