Remember this Name

5,491 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by trip
Ishmael-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the recruiting class of 2022. Samari Howard. I went to see my son's 7th grade "A" team last night and was treated, as promised, to a real show. Twisting, turning, juking, accelerating, stopping on a dime and jump starting to full speed and all the while looking for receivers running full speed left and right with frozen ropes to either sideline all the way across the field. After putting the game away 39-6 by halftime they had him warm up to go in as a receiver. Watched him alternatively catch hard throws to either hand only missing one to his left hand out of about 10-12. Reminded me of watching WR Jerry Levias warming up for SMU vs A&M back in the 60's. I told his dad after the game that he had a great college player in the making. I'm damn sure going to clue Sumlin's recruiting staff in now to watch his progress when he gets to Temple Texas High School. I know the coaches there are already drooling since they work closely with the Middle school coaches to use the same offenses and defenses. I've never seen anything like it for a kid that young. Sometimes real talent just hits you square in the face when it's that good, regardless of age.

Samari Football 1.0? Sure looks that way. But he's faster than JFF. And he wears a maroon jersey with #2 on it already.
12thmanfootball
AG
Give that boy some roids and brainwashing and get him to College Station.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
In 2018 kid mysteriously transfers to Belton.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
That's really cool and I hope he has a great career, but having that one dominant kid at that level is common. He just hit puberty way before everyone else
Ishmael-Ag
AG
Myles and Myles of Texas said:

That's really cool and I hope he has a great career, but having that one dominant kid at that level is common. He just hit puberty way before everyone else

This one is very special. I know talent when I see it. That arm on the run both left and right is better than most college arms. When I say it was a zinger I mean it zings and is on the money, sometimes too hot for his receivers, but it was the only way to get it to them without the defender getting to it. This is one special athlete. Just sayin'---put that name down somewhere and check back in a few years.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I had a very brief coaching career in junior high sports. (woohoo, look at all the badass over here)...

I had a 7th grade kid that I could hand the ball off to at running back, and one of three plays he would break one for a TD.
He averaged about 25 points a game as a point guard in basketball, playing maybe half the game.
In track, I entered him in every running event from the 100M to the mile. Kid never won anything but a blue ribbon.

It was all downhill from there. Well, at least in terms of the accolades. By HS, he was a good athlete, but not a college athlete. Didn't get any scholarships.

Had another 7th grader that the following year that could dunk. Also didn't turn out to be a college athlete.

Mr. Samurai may prove to pan out, but hold off on the scholarship offers for now.

Gramercy Riffs
AG

Quote:

That arm on the run both left and right is better than most college arms.
Sorry, but if you're talking about a 7th grader, you lost me right there.
JR Ewingford
Good luck with the staff recruiting him. My friend coaches Tylan Wallace here in Ft worth. Him and his brother were very interested in Texas A&M. Not a word from our staff. He has since committed to Oklahoma St. Would have loved to somehow get at least one of the brothers a look at WR for A&M.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Not to be rude but I think nearly everyone knew someone that dominated like that in 7th grade.

It's way more common than you think. It doesn't persist 99.99% of the time.
DallasAg 94
Hope it all works out for the kid.

Like others have said, we'll see.

There are many kids who peak athletically at a high level at 13... 14 years of age.

What you probably don't know is the kid's age. It is not uncommon for parents to hold their kids back a year, for sports. My kid is in 7th grade and out of the 25-30 kids, I'd say 4-5 of them should be 8th graders. They look incredibly advanced for 7th grade, because well... they are technically playing down a grade, as far as I'm concerned. If he is that good of a thrower now, he likely has been playing/coached for many years... he could have been held back... early developer (puberty).

He has 5 more years before graduating HS and that is a long time.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Not to be rude but I think nearly everyone knew someone that dominated like that in 7th grade.

in fact...knew a kid like that my sons age (well he was held back and dominated of course in football and bball in 5th-6th grade)...by high school he was the backup RB as a senior and did not even play bball any more as he stopped growing taller. Of course he and his dad were very angry all the time - it was the coach's fault he was not playing and he would be dominating and we would be winning all the time if he was starting.
DallasAg 94
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

in fact...knew a kid like that my sons age (well he was held back and dominated of course in football and bball in 5th-6th grade)...by high school he was the backup RB as a senior and did not even play bball any more as he stopped growing taller. Of course he and his dad were very angry all the time - it was the coach's fault he was not playing and he would be dominating and we would be winning all the time if he was starting.
That is SO COMMON. I keep telling my boys that. We are working through a situation where a kid was held back (He'll be 15 in April and in 8th grade) and doing really well in 8th grade, but his parents are like 5'4" and 5'8". The kid is a big bully, and because he has played down a grade, he has this belief he is a great an athlete with a career playing sports. And he may. But history says he'll likely be out of sports before he is out of HS.

And he and his parents will never admit the only reason he was so dominant, is that he was playing down.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

That is SO COMMON. I keep telling my boys that. We are working through a situation where a kid was held back (He'll be 15 in April and in 8th grade) and doing really well in 8th grade, but his parents are like 5'4" and 5'8". The kid is a big bully, and because he has played down a grade, he has this belief he is a great an athlete with a career playing sports. And he may. But history says he'll likely be out of sports before he is out of HS.

And he and his parents will never admit the only reason he was so dominant, is that he was playing down.

Grew up with a kid who dominated in football, basketball, and track 6th-8th grade because his parents held him back for sports. I remember in 8th grade before football practice he said "If I make it to 6' I think I'll go d1" (he was a qb and was about 5'9" at the time). Freshman year he made varsity football and returned some kicks. Sophomore year he started at qb the first three games, didn't accomplish much and then a senior came back from an injury in the summer and took his spot. He finished the season at safety. Later in the year he transferred to a different school "for academic reasons". He wasn't starting qb for a full year until his senior year at the other school. And they were an I formation, power run team. He's still 5'9".
Ishmael-Ag
AG
Just remember the name. You will become believers when I drag this back up after his junior year in HS. Scoff all you want. I know talent and this kid has "it".
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ishmael-Ag said:

Just remember the name. You will become believers when I drag this back up after his junior year in HS. Scoff all you want. I know talent and this kid has "it".
you bring it back up - we'll assume it was another kid like the thousands before unless you bump it in 4 years.
trip
AG
As someone that grew up in Killeen, I will be happy if the kid graduates high school. I have seen so much talent in the Centex area not do anything because of bad decisions. I wish the kid the best through.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.