sips DL depth chart

6,368 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by KJN86
KJN86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The sips have 9 returning DL plus 8 incoming frershmen DL. That depth chart will be ripe for attrition.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
they dont care they keep those kids away from OU and us, not too many schools are looking for kids that are 2 for 2.
TheAggie22
nm

[This message has been edited by TheAggie22 (edited 3/9/2012 3:18p).]
moonman22
DT Desmond Jackson
DT Ashton Dorsey
DT Chris Whaley
DT Brandon Moore

DE Jackson Jeffcoat
DE Cedric Reed
DE Dravannti Johnson
DE Alex Okafor
DE Reggie Wilson

incoming

DT Malcom Brown
DT Alex Norman
DT Paul Boyette Jr

DE Caleb Bluiett
DE Hassan Ridgeway

why attrition? 2 deep at DT and DE, with freshman on 3 deep

Greg Daniels (moved to TE)
Calvin Howell (left team for personal issues)
toucan82
I think Dravannti Johnson transferred
switzerland
They can afford to redshirt some of those incoming freshmen and let them get bigger with strength and conditioning. It's a good problem to have and would be good if the Ags could do the same. Between grades, injuries, and the police some of those guys will not see the field much, if at all.
BoyNamedSue
Texas rotates like crazy across the DL - guys are always coming in and out of the game. Helps keep them fresh and keeps the line from getting too winded - especially the big boys in the middle.
jengler
Add Santos to that list, he's no LB. They can sign all the DL they want as long as they keep signing QBs like they have been.
JLF3
Manny Diaz used over 118 different looks last year. This year he wants guys to learn multiple positions so he can move guys around and cause confusion.
KJN86
AG
Add Santos and Cottrell to moonman's list. and I doubt 280 lb. Daniels is at TE.

That is 17 people for 4 positions. 4 deep.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
sounds like our WR depth
KJN86
AG
We will have 12 WR's for 4 positions. Nice try.
ezed
actually that looks like they have the perfect numbers. 2 deep everywhere with the ability to redshirt
LonghornLegend
ezed is correct. Ideally Texas would like to at least have the option of redshirting the incoming freshmen on both sides of the line. Unfortunately Texas hasn't had enough quality depth lately to do that.

Numbers look right on for Texas. The big difference I think is that I don't think the coaches TRY to redshirt freshmen that they thing can immediately contribute.

now if Texas can get some more tight ends....
ag4ever2010
AG
Also in addition to Santos and cotrell you are missing Davis from la.
yakman
The sips only have 8 experienced DL going into next season when generally DL(OL too) need two years of S&C before they contribute in a meaningful way. One is a SR and one is an early entry candidate. They should be sweating bullets that Jeffcoat doesn't go early entry and that no one else has a breakout season that puts them in the early entry category. A single injury puts a true fish in their DL two deep. 18 y.o. linemen facing 23 y.o. linemen is not good for your team most of the time.

I only see two incoming FR DL that might play for the sips as true FR; Malcom Brown and Torshiro Davis. Davis only out of need to get him reps with Okafor graduating and in case Jeffcoat leaves early.

[This message has been edited by yakman (edited 3/9/2012 6:47p).]
Ags77
AG
Honestly. I would LOVE to see us with anything close to that kinda depth. Especially at the DT spot.
IgnatiusReilly
Dravannti Johnson is no longer on the team, so there's that. Dalton Santos is an MLB regardless of what you guys saying. Yes, Davis and Cottrell were left off the list, but Bluiett could very well switch to TE next year.

Regardless, that's 7 DTs on the roster for next season and 8 DEs. We'll play 5-6 of each position and redshirt 1-3 freshmen. It's not rocket science. It's just good recruiting and development of depth.
KJN86
AG
BS, you will have 17-18 kids on the DL next year and attrition will follow. Kids don't like to sit on the bench and there is scholarship limits.

Go look at how many DL have left your team from the last 3-4 years. Off the the top of my head I can name Bible, Mims, Cotton, Johnson. I bet I will find more when I go to checking.

And since '07 you can add Russell Carter, Jarvis Humphrey, Tyrell Higgins, and Calvin Howell.

So I think you will have attrition when reality sets in and they realize they will never see the field. But Coach Brown said I was gonna be an All American.

[This message has been edited by Kjn86 (edited 3/10/2012 4:25p).]
JLF3
Attrition isn't always a bad thing.
sodiumacetate
quote:
BS, you will have 17-18 kids on the DL next year

Are you counting walk-ons? I count 15 on scholarship and 11 that will be on the active roster (not redshirting).

Defensive Tackle:
Starters (2) - Ashton Dorsey (JR), Desmond Jackson (SO)
Backups - (3) Brandon Moore (JR), Chris Whaley (JR), Malcom Brown (FR)
Redshirt (2) - Alex Norman (FR), Paul Boyette (FR)

Defensive End:
Starters (2) - Alex Okafor (SR), Jackson Jeffcoat (JR)
Backups (4) - Reggie Wilson (JR), Cedric Reed (SO), Hassan Ridgeway (FR), Shiro Davis (FR)
Redshirt (2) - Caleb Bluiett (FR), Bryce Cottrell (FR)

Basically, that's almost perfect depth at both DT and DE. Maybe if one more freshman can play at DT then it would be a perfect three deep. You guys keep talking about Santos playing on the line, but he's the backup at Middle linebacker the moment he steps on campus.

quote:
So I think you will have attrition when reality sets in and they realize they will never see the field.

Of course there is going to be some attrition. You are absolutely right in that kids that have been stars all their lives don't like to be third string in their junior and senior years. However, as a Texas fan, defensive line is one of the places we can least afford it in the next few years. As you have pointed out, we have had a lot the last few seasons and we are lucky to have recruited well enough that we can still have a two deep that doesn't rely on freshman. Freshman can be impact players, but if you have to rely on them it's not a good thing because there are growing pains.
Uma
quote:
BS, you will have 17-18 kids on the DL next year and attrition will follow. Kids don't like to sit on the bench and there is scholarship limits.

Go look at how many DL have left your team from the last 3-4 years. Off the the top of my head I can name Bible, Mims, Cotton, Johnson. I bet I will find more when I go to checking.

And since '07 you can add Russell Carter, Jarvis Humphrey, Tyrell Higgins, and Calvin Howell.

So I think you will have attrition when reality sets in and they realize they will never see the field. But Coach Brown said I was gonna be an All American.

[This message has been edited by Kjn86 (edited 3/10/2012 4:25p).]
You have 85 scholarships for 22 positions. They run a 4-3 so they have 4 DL. 85*4/22 = 15.5 DL. 17 or 18 is pretty close. You want to err higher on DL numbers since its such a high impact position and they get tired faster.
KJN86
AG
You don't need any Kickers or punters on your team?

And only 1 SR. for 2012. So add all the incoming freshmen to the 16-17 holdovers. Attrition here we come. But, but, Coach Brown said I would start as a freshman.
ezed
quote:
don't need any Kickers or punters on your team?

And only 1 SR. for 2012. So add all the incoming freshmen to the 16-17 holdovers. Attrition here we come. But, but, Coach Brown said I would start as a freshman

but but you have no idea what mack brown tells these recruits.

you are the only one on here that doesn't think the DL numbers at Texas actually look pretty good.
Randall Watson
And Sumlin said Smythe would be the next Gronkowski.
JLF3
I would rather have too many than not enough. This is D-1 football at a top
Tier school. Come to compete for playing time. If you're not happy about it then go elsewhere. I've heard Mack In person say that his philosophy is to recruit guys who want to compete not guys who want to be big fish in small ponds.
Happy Kuykendahl
Literally no one considers a school with back to back losing conf seasons "top tier" outside of delusional tshirt sips
KJN86
AG
Does Ol' Buttertooth operate that trap door all by himself? Or do they take turns running it?
BoyNamedSue
Or litterally every kid over the last decade+ with offers from A&M that chose Texas....including the last two classes and this one that are easily the top three consecutive the program has ever signed - almost all carry offers from Sherm/Sumlin.
KJN86
AG
And what was your record the last 2 seasons with those stud recruits?
redsquirrelAG
AG
Sick just sick
crewzback
Texas' forced attrition is minimal compared to our direct competition in the SEC who engage in unbelievable oversigning and forced attrition.

The bottom line is that we will need to embrace and heavily engage in both tactics if we want to compete for championships.
MasonStorm
Didn't Bama sign 120 in the last 4 yrs or is it 110?
KJN86
AG
Bama signed 103 from '09-'12. tu signed 95 in the same time period. A&M signed 93 during that time frame.

[This message has been edited by KJN86 (edited 3/14/2012 2:39p).]
Jefe
http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/the-oversigning-cup/
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.