Anyone know what made Johnson switch his committment from us to ISU?

3,866 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by TXAGBQ76
roboag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I heard that ISU had some negative recruiting going on. If so, we should put the "pedal to the medal" when we play them this year!
AgRob
i think everyone negative recruits to a certain extent...its getting desparate out there in the coaching world to win and win now.
joad81
Was afraid of our 'depth' at WR is the word. As posted on another thread, shows a lack of internal strength. Not sure I would want that on our team anyways. Very talented player, but doesn't seem to have the will power.
AgRob
Afraid of our WR depth? Come on...really? i find that hard to believe
anti-PC
What is this depth at WR that you speak of?
Goose06
AG
I think it was "opportunity to play early" and "easier academics"
micahb2002
AG
I think it was a qualification issue. If it was in his best interest to put less hurdles in front of him, I hope it works out. No kid wants to be the next Gremon Coffman.

The TAKS hurdle is something most states don't have to deal with. Okie Lite uses this to land kids who are risks to get into UT or A&M, and it looks like ISU just did the same. I think we can all appreciate how scary academic hurdles are to our future, whether we are trying to get into college/law school/grad school etc.

It's the only way this move makes sense. Yes, there are coaches who call a recruit and use his academic self-esteem to get them away from UT or A&M. If they prevent them from going to junior college, maybe it's for the kid's best.

I don't remember him being a high risk to get in, but we never really know. I think we should lay off the kid, and hope that whatever his reasons were that it works out best for him. It wouldn't have helped us or him any if he did end up like Gremon.

Many kids still have work to do to get into A&M next year, football players or not.

[This message has been edited by micahb2002 (edited 2/7/2008 12:34p).]
lowhandicap
Let me see if I get it, "early playing time" = "I don't want to go to JUCO for 2 years before I can play at A&M"
cgttexas399
S
Grades, and then he was too lazy to take tests again to raise his scores so he went to the school that was easier to qualify for academically. Truth be told he probably never would have played a game here because of grades.
switzerland
If this is true about the grades, shouldn't this have come out before signing day?
micahb2002
AG
^
^
Do we have to be so ugly about it?
Max Power
AG
How the hell does anyone commit to ISU? Take a trip to Ames right now and see how much you like Iowa, congratulations, you lose.
PooDoo
AG
He loved the uniforms!
navyag86
quote:
I think it was a qualification issue. If it was in his best interest to put less hurdles in front of him, I hope it works out. No kid wants to be the next Gremon Coffman.

The TAKS hurdle is something most states don't have to deal with. Okie Lite uses this to land kids who are risks to get into UT or A&M, and it looks like ISU just did the same. I think we can all appreciate how scary academic hurdles are to our future, whether we are trying to get into college/law school/grad school etc.

It's the only way this move makes sense. Yes, there are coaches who call a recruit and use his academic self-esteem to get them away from UT or A&M. If they prevent them from going to junior college, maybe it's for the kid's best.

I don't remember him being a high risk to get in, but we never really know. I think we should lay off the kid, and hope that whatever his reasons were that it works out best for him. It wouldn't have helped us or him any if he did end up like Gremon.

Many kids still have work to do to get into A&M next year, football players or not.

Michah, two of the Ag signees also signed with Navarro and there are reports that a total of 6 have hurdles of various heights to qualify. All schools have the same intial qualification minimums under the NCAA. In addition, going to ISU would prevent the Clearinghouse from flagging his academic record if it didn't add up or pass the smell test.

TAKS has nothing to do with kids going out of State to play football. There is a test to graduate from a Texas JUCO, that doesn't exist in other states, and is a reason why a Texas HS player might choose to go to an OOS JUCO, but that doesn't apply to the Johnson situation either.

Happy Feller
Mac didn't offer.

-Kick 'em!
sharpdressedman
quote:
...there are reports that a total of 6 have hurdles of various heights to qualify.

Accurate. The worst case scenario would deal a major blow to this class by August.
Outrigger
Why doesn't the TAKS test have anything to do with it? You have to pass it to go to school in Texas. To go to school out of state all you have to do is produce your HS diploma.

We ran into another situation with Harper in that neb does not require the written portion of the ACT, and A&M does. These things don't have anything to do with the ncaa, but they DO keep kids away that are marginal academically.

Gig'em<BR>Outrigger<BR>
TXAggie2011
AG
Did basketball have anything to do with it?

Either way, good luck...he'll need it.
skins74
AG
Maybe we need to check the high school parking lot.
dichotomic
Word out of Arp is that Sed was just never comfortable with our Coaches. Academics was not the issue.
navyag86
quote:
Why doesn't the TAKS test have anything to do with it? You have to pass it to go to school in Texas. To go to school out of state all you have to do is produce your HS diploma.

We ran into another situation with Harper in that neb does not require the written portion of the ACT, and A&M does. These things don't have anything to do with the ncaa, but they DO keep kids away that are marginal academically.

Gig'em<BR>Outrigger<BR>

Outrigger, one cannot produce a high school diploma without taking and passing the TAKS test if you attend high school in Texas. Johnson does attend school in Texas. The TAKS is not a requirement ONLY if a person is going to go to college in Texas, it is a graduation requirement for all public school students in Texas. If the TAKS testing was an impediment to Johnson attending Texas A&M it would also be an impediment to his attenting ISU. Therefore, the kid's standing with the TAKS is irrelevent in discussing why he'd be attending ISU rather than Texas A&M.

The poster I responded to was merely speculating on academics as the reason and was off base, as you are, in relation to the TAKS test.

----

From the "Student's Guide to Graduation" found on the TEA website http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index.html

To receive a Texas high school diploma, you
must complete all the necessary coursework
for graduation and pass all parts of the exit
level Texas Assessment of Knowledge and
Skills (also called TAKS).
EKG1996
AG
Think THEA test.

[This message has been edited by EKG1996 (edited 2/7/2008 5:42p).]
D.J. Flores
AG
give him a break...whatever the reason....good luck Sed! would have loved to have u here....but I am looking to the future, not the past.

Can't change ur mind now.....do it big up there playa!!
Andy Pipkin
quote:
Word out of Arp is that Sed was just never comfortable with our Coaches. Academics was not the issue.

What do you expect people to say about one of the town's own? That he is such an academic risk that he is going to one of the worst football schools in the b12 situated in rural iowa?

If it was a matter of not liking the coaches, he could have bolted for a much nicer gig than isu.

And frankly, he wouldn't need a HS diploma. They could stick him in a diploma mill over the summer or have him take the GED. As long as the right strings are pulled, you can get a mule into college.

[This message has been edited by Andy Pipkin (edited 2/7/2008 6:58p).]
AggieGreg06
AG
I heard Sed wants to be a crop-duster after college...
roboag
AG
I just couldn't figure it out b/c @ A&M, you have NFL caliber coaches, all the facilities, he'd be closer to home, and better FB tradition.

How many games did isu win last year? The weather is warmer here...we definitely need WR, and Johnson switched at the very last minute. That makes me think something is fishy!
TXAGBQ76
AG
at least four of the six ended up with good fall semester grades and are within 20-30 points on the SAT. two have work to do, but the coaches are confident they will be ok- we shall see.

it was reported on several strings that Sed in fact had failed the reading portion of the test- and maybe one other.

it has also been reported that he wanted a chance to play basketball- which was not an option here.

we need to move on.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.