boosters?

5,122 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by planoaggie123
Aggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
are all of the boosters the same as original, just smaller doses or are there actual differences that "stay up to date" with most recent varients?
West Point Aggie
AG
Aggie95 said:

are all of the boosters the same as original, just smaller doses or are there actual differences that "stay up to date" with most recent varients?

That is what my doctor told me…
Let’s Go Brandon!
KidDoc
AG
Omicron specific boosters are in development.

Novavax seems to work for all variants and so far has longer efficacy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FlyRod
If you're asking about the boosters to date, here's what I know: I got my first one in August, Moderna. It wasn't an official booster so it was a full dose. Pharmacist seemed slightly puzzled but gave it anyway. The second booster I got in April was a smaller dose, which is to say the "normal" one.

My doctor who is double boosted said he asked for a full dose for each boost and got it no problem.

We'll see what the forthcoming ones do.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Can you actually get the novavax shot now? I saw it was approved finally.
KidDoc
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Can you actually get the novavax shot now? I saw it was approved finally.
Not yet. It should be available in under a month hopefully.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OldArmy71
AG
I know nothing other than the helpful information I get from doctors on this board and from trusted internet sources, but it is worth noting that the original research done on the Novovax vaccine

was conducted prior to the circulation of Delta and Omicron variants, so its efficacy against Omicron and its subvariants is unknown.
KidDoc
AG
OldArmy71 said:

I know nothing other than the helpful information I get from doctors on this board and from trusted internet sources, but it is worth noting that the original research done on the Novovax vaccine

was conducted prior to the circulation of Delta and Omicron variants, so its efficacy against Omicron and its subvariants is unknown.
Correct, but follow up studies seem to support efficacy even vs omicron varients.

Novavax's FDA-approved COVID vaccine is well-suited to fight Omicron BA.5 | Fortune

I have no stock or personal involvement with Novavax, but plan to get it once it is available.
TheMasterplan
Pretty sad that Novavax had already been approved in places like New Zealand and Australia and the FDA dragged their feet and just now approved it.

US bureaucracy dragging the country down once again.
OldArmy71
AG
That's good news! Thanks for finding that and posting it.
KidDoc
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Pretty sad that Novavax had already been approved in places like New Zealand and Australia and the FDA dragged their feet and just now approved it.

US bureaucracy dragging the country down once again.
$$$$$$

It is pretty obvious that Pfizer owns the FDA/CDC at this point. The fact that they approved an "emergency" vaccine for children for a disease that is not dangerous to children in the vast majority of cases is depressing. Especially since the current vaccine does nothing for community health or to prevent the spread.
Furlock Bones
AG
Aggie95 said:

The current "boosters" from Moderna and Pfizer are still the same shots as the original despite both CEOs proudly proclaiming they could essentially update them overnight.

Most recent data shows that the current vaccines have near zero efficacy on the latest omicron BA4 and BA5 variants. Prior omicron infection does confer some defense against the latest variants.

I have had the Moderna 3 times. I won't even contemplate getting another until they are updated. It's quite literally absurd at this point.
DadHammer
AG
I have had three shots.

I just got over Covid in May. No more shots for me.
West Point Aggie
AG
DadHammer said:

I have had three shots.

I've had three and my annual check up is in a week. I was asked if I wanted a 4th…big ol no!
Let’s Go Brandon!
corndog04
AG
West Point Aggie said:

DadHammer said:

I have had three shots.

I've had three and my annual check up is in a week. I was asked if I wanted a 4th…big ol no!

I've had 2 shots and have had Covid (possibly twice). I would consider a booster if a more severe strain comes along AND the formula has been updated to be a much closer match to that strain, but other than that nope.
Harry Stone
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Aggie95 said:

The current "boosters" from Moderna and Pfizer are still the same shots as the original despite both CEOs proudly proclaiming they could essentially update them overnight.

Most recent data shows that the current vaccines have near zero efficacy on the latest omicron BA4 and BA5 variants. Prior omicron infection does confer some defense against the latest variants.

I have had the Moderna 3 times. I won't even contemplate getting another until they are updated. It's quite literally absurd at this point.

updating the booster is the easy part. the hard part is keeping up with mutations and getting an EUA and change in manufacturing the new vaccine/booster.

Furlock Bones
AG
Harry Stone said:

Furlock Bones said:

Aggie95 said:

updating the booster is the easy part. the hard part is keeping up with mutations and getting an EUA and change in manufacturing the new vaccine/booster.

Multiple types of flu vaccine get updated every year. We are over a year and a half in. All of the Data showing that the original vaccines no longer offer protection against current virus. This is about profits.
Harry Stone
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Harry Stone said:

Furlock Bones said:

Aggie95 said:

Multiple types of flu vaccine get updated every year. We are over a year and a half in. All of the Data showing that the original vaccines no longer offer protection against current virus. This is about profits.

its not the same. we've known about most different subtypes of flu for years and years. flu vaccines are the approved. they dont mutate at the rate this virus does anymore. i personally know the founder of biontech. ive talked with him. the target is moving fast. they dont have plans for rapid sequencing and movement of the different variant vaccines until the mutations slow down.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Saw my physician today for a regular exam. Asked if I was fully vaccinated and I said "yes" thinking I was. He asked how many shots and I said 3 with the most recent being March '22.

Told me I was supposed to get another shot in May. No one told me that when I got the one in March. He strongly recommended that I get a fourth shot soon to maintain my antibodies. Said I need to go back to the pharmacy since his practice has no COVID vaccines.

I'm not sure I want to do that. I'm 66 and have a clean bill of health otherwise. Haven't had COVID either but have been exposed to it multiple times with kids, grandkids, neighbors, etc.

torrid
AG
That sounds like something straight from Moderna or Pfizer. I would recommend watching "Dopesick" on Hulu.
Harry Stone
AG
TRD-Ferguson said:

Saw my physician today for a regular exam. Asked if I was fully vaccinated and I said "yes" thinking I was. He asked how many shots and I said 3 with the most recent being March '22.

Told me I was supposed to get another shot in May. No one told me that when I got the one in March. He strongly recommended that I get a fourth shot soon to maintain my antibodies. Said I need to go back to the pharmacy since his practice has no COVID vaccines.

I'm not sure I want to do that. I'm 66 and have a clean bill of health otherwise. Haven't had COVID either but have been exposed to it multiple times with kids, grandkids, neighbors, etc.

My advice is getting a new physician.
planoaggie123
AG
There is a TON of data out there. You are 66. You can decide.

If you want the shot...take it.

If you you are done with shots...don't take and tell your doc your decision. If you take this approach, consider a new doctor as well. I would not recommend shopping for only doctors that tell you what you want to hear but any doctor that recommends 4th booster without a high level of analysis other than "its about time" I would question....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.