A tale of a family infection

6,058 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Charpie
Sailor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My sister, age 58, came down with COVID around May 13th, followed by her son, age 20, her husband and her husband's sister. This all occurred the 2nd week of May. My sister had been on high dose Calcium for a while, so she had a relatively mild case. My nephew barely had any symptoms. That said, My BIL's sister (age 63), was hit hard, and she went into the hospital within a few days and her condition worsened. She was put on a ventilator and ultimately sepsis and MRSA set in and nothing they could do helped. She died on June 3rd.

My BIL (age 59) fought pretty well at first, but had to be hospitalized around May 24th. Two days after admission he was put on a ventilator. He had a rough go of it and they proned him (like his sister) for as long as they could. His stats started improving on June 4th and with small gains the next several days. The doctors working this case wanted to perfrom a tracheotomy and move the intubation tubes and vent there to save his vocal cords given he had been on the vent for 2 weeks.

Hi ICU nurse suggested they just pull the tubes and vent out and see what happens and he started breathing on his own maintaining 98% blood oxygen levels. An hour or so later they took him off the propofol and reduced the fentanyl and he woke up. He's still in ICU but he is aware of what is going on and will likely transfer to a rehab facility in less than a week.

I have to say, I didn't think he was going to make it after seeing him on June 5th. He had a LOT of people praying for him and I can only think God had a hand in getting him to where he is at today.

Finally, I'm torn on if he and his sister had taken the vaccine she would still be alive and he would not have had the rough go of it. FTR, he is a smoker, drinks too much and has had a history of pneumonia bouts in the past.

I had COVID that started mid-December last year through the holidays. Age 55. I think I had a mild case due to the Vitamin C and Magnesium/Zinc/Vitamin D pills I regularly take to boost my immune system.

Anyway, just thought I would share.
TheMasterplan
Thanks for sharing.

Those people in those age group and those conditions should definitely be getting the vaccine.
wbt5845
AG
So please delete or ignore if inappropriate, but since you brought it up...

Was there some particular reason they did not get the vaccine? And I'm assuming none of them got the vaccine. It would seem like someone with co-morbidities at that age could have gotten the vaccine in January.

I am sorry for your loss and hope it motivates others to get vaccinated. But as always, their choice.
Capitol Ag
AG
wbt5845 said:

So please delete or ignore if inappropriate, but since you brought it up...

Was there some particular reason they did not get the vaccine? And I'm assuming none of them got the vaccine. It would seem like someone with co-morbidities at that age could have gotten the vaccine in January.

I am sorry for your loss and hope it motivates others to get vaccinated. But as always, their choice.

I have friends with co-morbidities who are not against the vaccine (at least they don't say it out loud) but just haven't gotten around to getting it. I get that this is anecdotal but I hear about things like this a lot and it's frustrating knowing that the people who dies had the vaccine available. To me, if you are over 40 AND have comorbidities, you get the vaccine.

OP, truly sorry for your loss.
bay fan
S
Why did your sister and family not get vaccine? At their ages it seems an obvious choice. I am sorry for their loss but very glad your bil appears on the mend.
Fitch
AG
Sorry for the loss and frightening situation with your family, OP. Will think good thoughts and prayers for your BIL.

Submitting this only because you alluded to it: the vaccines have a remarkably high efficacy in preventing severe disease course. Effectively 100%.
waitwhat?
I don't think there are many people on this board, or even f16, that are completely against the vaccine. The consensus is that there are definitely people who SHOULD get it. It sounds like they clearly should have, and not in a hindsight is 20/20 kind of way.

Unfortunately, I think this is a result of the constant politicization of this whole damn thing. If we would have handled this rationally, like a world of adults, your relatives would have gotten the vaccine. But politics caused this.

Sorry for your loss, OP.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
GIF Reactor
AG
Really sorry for your loss and such a rough go of it for your family, OP.
Cheetah01
AG
waitwhat? said:

I don't think there are many people on this board, or even f16, that are completely against the vaccine. The consensus is that there are definitely people who SHOULD get it. It sounds like they clearly should have, and not in a hindsight is 20/20 kind of way.

Unfortunately, I think this is a result of the constant politicization of this whole damn thing. If we would have handled this rationally, like a world of adults, your relatives would have gotten the vaccine. But politics caused this.

Sorry for your loss, OP.

I agree with this sentiment. The problem is a lack of trustworthy news sources causing people to only trust news that agrees with their politics.

I'm so sorry for your loss OP.
Sailor
Sorry for the delayed response here.

I can only guess because he is and she was stubborn and probably an unrealistic fear of the side-effects of the vaccine.

Note, my BIL was moved to a regular hospital room today! He is building strength every day, but has some issues with his left arm due to the propofol. Going to take a while in PT to get back to normalcy.

As a family, we've made the decision not to tell him about his sister until he gets out of the hospital or until he directly asks about it. His memory right now is very hazy and he probably does not remember that she had it at the same time he had it.

I do appreciate the thoughts and concerns from everyone.

Finally, I'd like to solicit advice/opinions on whether I should get vaccinated or not, given I have already had COVID.
ORAggieFan
Sorry for your loss buddy. I have family that is the same and refuse to get it as well as older friends of the family. An aunt and uncle, mid to upper 60s with comorbidities are in Mexico on a mission now after refusing the vaccine. My grandmother who lives next to them had to get it without telling them. Just mind boggling.
Fitch
AG
Good to hear, thank you for the update. Hope he keeps improving!

After a natural infection it's really your call, but if an anecdote is helpful at all I have several family members who had it back in January / last year and got vaccinated all the same. The general recommendation is to do so, if only as a booster to promote long term memory cell immunity. In some respects can think of being sick as a "first dose" of the two-dose vaccine regimen.
Sailor
ORAggieFan said:

Sorry for your loss buddy. I have family that is the same and refuse to get it as well as older friends of the family. An aunt and uncle, mid to upper 60s with comorbidities are in Mexico on a mission now after refusing the vaccine. My grandmother who lives next to them had to get it without telling them. Just mind boggling.
Thanks man. It's been a tough couple of months. At least you are back to watching baseball with your family!
Picadillo
Sorry for your loss.

Does it always have to be a decision to vax or not vax? A regimen of HCQ + zinc + quercetin, C, D, NAC, melatonin, etc., has kept me and approx 20 family members safe for over a year and a half. Active family, with its share of common comorbidities.
wbt5845
AG
Sailor said:

Finally, I'd like to solicit advice/opinions on whether I should get vaccinated or not, given I have already had COVID.
No doctor icon here, but it is my understanding the strength of your immunity against COVID-19 is unknown since you had it, but it will be known for sure if you get the vaccine.

My boss had COVID and still got the vaccine. As opposed to most people I know, he had worse side effects to the first than the second. If I had a choice right now though, I'd go find the J&J and be done.
KidDoc
AG
No clear evidence that works. Get the vaccine.

(I make no money from the vaccine and do not give the vaccine in my clinic at this time.. but the proof vs no proof is VERY CLEARLY in favor of vaccine in this scenario)

No harm in taking your vitamins, aside from $$, but if you have any risk of severe COVID then not getting vaccine is very risky at this time.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PJYoung
AG
I think we will hear more and more stories like this.

So sorry about your BIL's sister and I'm glad to hear your BIL is on the mend.
88planoAg
AG
Sailor said:

I'm sorry your family members have had such a rough go.

Not a doc. Had mild covid in December. Been tested for antibodies 2x, still have them. All evidence points to durable immunity.

Many who have had covid also got the vaccine. I haven't and don't see the need.

Link to free antibody testing:

https://sph.uth.edu/projects/texascares/
Drip99
AG
Cheetah01 said:

waitwhat? said:

Sorry for your loss, OP.

I agree with this sentiment. The problem is a lack of trustworthy news sources causing people to only trust news that agrees with their politics.

At what point as a society did we start getting health advice from the news.....or facebook, or some political figurehead, etc.? When folks get sick or their kids get sick or break a leg, etc. they go to the doctor or the hospital but with covid some have decided not to do that. I really don't get it...I am baffled that educated folks are making health decisions based on social media or politics.
TulsAg
AG
Wife and I had C-19 in December, got vaxx'ed in April. No side effects at all for me, minimal for her (and only after first shot).

The data on the vaccine's length of effect may not be complete yet, but with the perhaps even less certainty as to the length of "natural" immunity following infection, it made sense to us.

And I'll say this - we feel more "bullet-proof" after the vaccine than we did riding only with the post-infection and unknown duration "natural" immunity.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

At what point as a society did we start getting health advice from the news.....or facebook, or some political figurehead, etc.? When folks get sick or their kids get sick or break a leg, etc. they go to the doctor or the hospital but with covid some have decided not to do that. I really don't get it...I am baffled that educated folks are making health decisions based on social media or politics.
There is probably decades worth of psychological research to try and unpack how this happened. It is not just a trend in the medical field. People seem to have have chosen paranoia over reason in all walks of life. I personally think the internet and social media has allowed for confirmation bias on steroids. Still, you would think there would be some common sense on display.
94chem
Picadillo said:

Sorry for your loss.

Does it always have to be a decision to vax or not vax? A regimen of HCQ + zinc + quercetin, C, D, NAC, melatonin, etc., has kept me and approx 20 family members safe for over a year and a half. Active family, with its share of common comorbidities.
I generally don't consume synthetic heterocyclic alkaloid chlorocarbons unless I need to. In this case, given my 26 years working with heterocyclic amines, if you asked me to guess about the safety of the HCQ structure, I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole, and I would assume that it is not safe to consume (I would say the same thing about sucralose, by the way).

In this case, I suppose the tox studies have determined HCQ to be generally safe, but compared to a vaccine, there is no way I would be scarfing down chloroquinolines.

OP - edited to add thank you for sharing this. Being one of the last families to experience this must be difficult. Please seek professional help if you feel any inclination to beat yourself up.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
MAROON
AG
agreed. At church yesterday and the only people with masks where small children. Still see kids on playgrounds outside with masks on - amazing
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
planoaggie123
AG
MAROON said:

agreed. At church yesterday and the only people with masks where small children. Still see kids on playgrounds outside with masks on - amazing

At tennis this weekend 2 young boys....under age of 6...wearing masks. Sad. We actually had an "encounter" with their dad about 6 months ago when he got onto us for "being mean" about Biden.

Couple kids at church wearing them too which is super odd b/c we are a fairly conservative church. Maybe they haven't gotten the memo on kids....
czechy91
AG
JesusQuintana said:

Cheetah01 said:

waitwhat? said:

Sorry for your loss, OP.

You nailed it. I just don't understand folks thinking doctors are out to deceive anyone or questioning their knowledge or motives. Unfortunately this became so damn political and people are set in their ways and don't want to budge off their position. As we can see personal freedoms and public health don't mesh up very well. Sincere condolences to the OP and his family.

wbt5845
AG
JesusQuintana said:

At what point as a society did we start getting health advice from the news.....or facebook, or some political figurehead, etc.?

When our co-pay went from #20 to $200. I only seek out a doctor when limbs are hanging off.
aggiemike02
AG
[deleted]
wbt5845
AG
wbt5845 said:

JesusQuintana said:

At what point as a society did we start getting health advice from the news.....or facebook, or some political figurehead, etc.?

When our co-pay went from $20 to $200. I only seek out a doctor when limbs are hanging off.

I assessed no blame. Just pointing out the system now discourages us from going to the doctor.
aggiemike02
AG
noted. deleted my previous comment.
Drip99
AG
wbt5845 said:

wbt5845 said:

JesusQuintana said:

When our co-pay went from $20 to $200. I only seek out a doctor when limbs are hanging off.

I assessed no blame. Just pointing out the system now discourages us from going to the doctor.
Yet people (not you specifically) in this country will gladly drop $200 on eating out, booze, latest phones, and a whole slew of other nonsense yet when it comes to their own healthcare its all just too expensive....so they resort to facebook or dr. google. Makes so much sense.....
dermdoc
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

There is probably decades worth of psychological research to try and unpack how this happened. It is not just a trend in the medical field. People seem to have have chosen paranoia over reason in all walks of life. I personally think the internet and social media has allowed for confirmation bias on steroids. Still, you would think there would be some common sense on display.

Great post.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NTAS
I am mid 40s with no comorbidities and decided against the vaccine. I ended up catching COVID and experienced a mild fever of less than 24 hours and a mild cough for 48 hours about a month ago. My symptoms were significantly less than family members symptoms from the mRNA vaccine.

I quarantined, even though I no longer presented symptoms out of respect for my family.

Each person must decide what makes the most sense for them and their situation. My doctor gave me the pros and cons and I decided for myself. A family member with asthma decided to vaccinate. Neither of us think any less of the other because personal responsibility is a value our family celebrates.
waitwhat?
NTAS said:

I am mid 40s with no comorbidities and decided against the vaccine. I ended up catching COVID and experienced a mild fever of less than 24 hours and a mild cough for 48 hours about a month ago. My symptoms were significantly less than family members symptoms from the mRNA vaccine.

I quarantined, even though I no longer presented symptoms out of respect for my family.

Each person must decide what makes the most sense for them and their situation. My doctor gave me the pros and cons and I decided for myself. A family member with asthma decided to vaccinate. Neither of us think any less of the other because personal responsibility is a value our family celebrates.
Precisely how it ought to be.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
Sailor
Yesterday, my BIL was moved from the hospital to a rehab facility. Seems they are taking good care of him and will begin physical therapy on him tomorrow. His attitude is very good and he is ready to work to build his strength. Talked with him for about 20 minutes tonight over the phone. HIs voice with very hoarse, but strong. Found out he had a variant of the COVID virus, unsure which one right now. Also, he shared some not so good things about his hospital stay in ICU after they removed his ventilator and he woke up.

Sounds like they did not "care" after him when he urinated or defecated when he could not control things - just let him sit in his own feces and urine for hours on end and no one would help him. I'm so freaking angry right now.

Beyond that, his hospital bill right now is $361K. Will see what his insurance covers, then I might start a gofundme for what he is responsible for...
2wealfth Man
AG
Sailor said:

Yesterday, my BIL was moved from the hospital to a rehab facility. Seems they are taking good care of him and will begin physical therapy on him tomorrow. His attitude is very good and he is ready to work to build his strength. Talked with him for about 20 minutes tonight over the phone. HIs voice with very hoarse, but strong. Found out he had a variant of the COVID virus, unsure which one right now. Also, he shared some not so good things about his hospital stay in ICU after they removed his ventilator and he woke up.

Sounds like they did not "care" after him when he urinated or defecated when he could not control things - just let him sit in his own feces and urine for hours on end and no one would help him. I'm so freaking angry right now.

Beyond that, his hospital bill right now is $361K. Will see what his insurance covers, then I might start a gofundme for what he is responsible for...
Sorry bud, this is part of a whole host crappy secondary knock on effects of their decisions (i.e. financial costs, stress to near relatives, etc). I feel for you, especially when we are mostly coming out of this thing.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.