What is "gain of function" research?

1,252 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 94chem
BadMoonRisin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/fauci-argued-benefits-of-gain-of-function-research-outweighed-pandemic-risk-in-2012-paper/

Looking for the divinely-enlightened, with a cross next to their handle, to help me figure out why something that was banned in the US in 2016 -- citing issues with safety-- was able to be exported to China. With Taxpayer money. From some guy named Dr. Anthony Fauci.

Ill go ahead and throw some quotes in for the moderates on this board that are, rightfully, concerend:
Quote:

Despite the risks involved, Fauci called gain-of-function experiments "important work" in his 2012 writing:

In an unlikely but conceivable turn of events, what if that scientist becomes infected with the virus, which leads to an outbreak and ultimately triggers a pandemic? Many ask reasonable questions: given the possibility of such a scenario however remote should the initial experiments have been performed and/or published in the first place, and what were the processes involved in this decision?

Scientists working in this field might say as indeed I have said that the benefits of such experiments and the resulting knowledge outweigh the risks. It is more likely that a pandemic would occur in nature, and the need to stay ahead of such a threat is a primary reason for performing an experiment that might appear to be risky.
Hmmmmm

Quote:

Within the research community, many have expressed concern that important research progress could come to a halt just because of the fear that someone, somewhere, might attempt to replicate these experiments sloppily. This is a valid concern.

Anyone?
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
Windy City Ag
AG
Pity gif

GAC06
AG
The director of the NIH admitted they had no way of knowing what their grant money was being spent on in Wuhan.
94chem
Quote:

Looking for the divinely-enlightened, with a cross next to their handle,
Joking, right?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.