Vaccine vs Infection

4,698 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HarleySpoon
Bill Bigfoot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Serious question. If someone has the infection and diagnosis to prove it, shouldn't they be eligible to get a vaccine card but with a separate category as "had COVID"? Seems like we should be able to be ok if we already had he virus and are naturally immune.
88planoAg
AG
Multiple people on multiple threads have commented on the lack of discussion regarding the recovered and durable immunity.

I agree, OP.
coolerguy12
AG
Be able to be ok for what? This used to be a free country. Our founders would have been stacking bodies long before they ever asked this question.
Gordo14
Because it's harder to manage and verify than vaccines. Getting the vaccine is free, takes basically no effort, and is extremely safe. So while I grant you that immunity from prior infection is probably very good, on a managerial level it's impossible to handle and verify on a larger scale. It's not going to kill you to get the vaccine, so I really don't have a lot of sympathy.
88planoAg
AG
Sympathy? Not asking for any. I do, however, require a medical reason for any medication I take. I have active antibodies and all science indicates that I also have durable immunity. I'm thankful that I am not in a position to have to take the vaccine for work or travel. I do have issues with people who continue to insist that it is no big deal to get a vaccine that I simply do not need.
River Bass
How is it impossible to handle?
Just give cards for people who submit a positive COVID test result which can be evidenced by emails from testing sites.
Teslag
AG
Germany is giving recovered people the same freedoms as vaccinated.
Azeotroper
How nice of Germany to give out freedoms...
tysker
AG
Its not free and having to take a day off of work and finding child care to deal with side effects of the second shot could be quite the effort for some.
Ag_of_08
AG
Gordo14 said:

Because it's harder to manage and verify than vaccines. Getting the vaccine is free, takes basically no effort, and is extremely safe. So while I grant you that immunity from prior infection is probably very good, on a managerial level it's impossible to handle and verify on a larger scale. It's not going to kill you to get the vaccine, so I really don't have a lot of sympathy.

I have the documents proving a positive test came back on my person in February. You are both handed paperwork, and that paperwork is recorded in your chart.

Please tell me why that medical record, which I am willing to present to stop the "you need a vaccine now!!!!!" Clamoring is not sufficient, or why it's hard to verify? Honest question, not a troll.
End Of Message
AG
Gordo14 said:

wow
Bassmaster
AG
Gordo14 said:

How is having a positive antibody test harder to manage?
Teslag
AG
Azeotroper said:

How nice of Germany to give out freedoms...

They have a different mindset regarding freedoms than we do.
Bill Bigfoot
AG
How is it harder to verify? Both are medical records.
Infection_Ag11
AG
In theory, it's completely reasonable. Most immunocompetent people who develop symptomatic COVID19 do mount a robust spike protein antibody response and longitudinal studies at 6-12 months show a large percentage of these responses persist over time.

The issue from an employer perspective is in practice, where verifiability is an issue.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Bill Bigfoot said:

How is it harder to verify? Both are medical records.

A positive COVID19 test doesn't say anything about whether the patient was symptomatic or not, and rates of immunity appear to be lower in this group. And it's likely the majority of people with COVID19 weren't actually tested at the time of infection, so they'd need to have antibody titers checked to verify.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fightingfarmer09
The government should never be allowed to "grant freedoms".

How about just let people be go about their lives? The hospitals are not over run (the whole reasoning behind this crap).

Anything short of that is just a government power grab and those supporting it being the enthusiastic oppressor of their neighbors rights and freedoms.
Bill Bigfoot
AG
But if the patient was infected with COVID19 and was asymptomatic, would they be able to get infected again? More so than getting the vaccine? If they were infected and developed no anitbodies (or they disappeared quickly) would they not do the same thing with the vaccine?

ORAggieFan
Bill Bigfoot said:

But if the patient was infected with COVID19 and was asymptomatic, would they be able to get infected again? More so than getting the vaccine? If they were infected and developed no anitbodies (or they disappeared quickly) would they not do the same thing with the vaccine?

That's part of the problem with PCR testing. One could have tested positive in PCR, not have been affected and not have antibodies.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Bill Bigfoot said:

In the rare cases where repeat infection has happened, it's been almost exclusively in those with compromised immune systems or those who previously had very mild or asymptomatic disease.

The vaccines result in a much more specific and robust response of the specific antibody type that confers immunity.
DCAggie13y
AG
Gordo14 said:

For people that already had COVID, the vaccine side effects are more severe. So there is that to consider.
Bill Bigfoot
AG
I'm just saying that we are relying on a vaccine which is not 100% and putting aside confirmed infection which is not 100%.
Bill Bigfoot
AG
Also, while rare, it has literally killed people and it's not free. Nothing is free.
Rex Racer
AG
Gordo14 said:

Why do you need to "manage" who has had the vaccine and who hasn't?
Bill Bigfoot
AG
The best example I can see with this is chicken pox. We don't have kids get a chicken pox vaccine after they have had an infection. I know a shingles booster is done later, but that is way later after an infection.
Ag_of_08
AG
Nmind misread
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Gordo14 said:

That right there. Bolded.

Cuts to the heart of the matter. The masses are units to be managed for the good of all.... or individuals have freedom to choose their paths.

And if the vaccine works for those who want to be protected from it, then the argument sways fully toward the choice of the individual for me.

Picadillo
Because they want you to get the injection whether you need it or not.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
It is not government's job to "manage" me. I present no danger to others by not being vaccinated; and danger to myself is my and my families' business only. Test me to ensure I'm not contagious if you want; but my vaccination status is nobody's business.
AggieHusker
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

...I present no danger to others by not being vaccinated...
Are you suggesting that the virus does not transmit between people?

If someone is not vaccinated, or does not have antibodies, they are at higher risk of becoming infected and transmitting the virus to another person. How is that not a danger to others?
88planoAg
AG
AggieHusker said:

Dad-O-Lot said:

If someone is not vaccinated, or does not have antibodies, they are at higher risk of becoming infected and transmitting the virus to another person. How is that not a danger to others?
We need to get back to taking personal responsibility for our own health. Vaccines are readily available. Those who are unvaccinated not risking those who are vaccinated. Pretty sure that is what he meant.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
AggieHusker said:

Dad-O-Lot said:

I cannot transmit if I am not infected.

If I am infected, I will have symptoms.

If I have symptoms, I will self-isolate.

If you see me in public, you can be assured I have no symptoms.

There is no evidence proving that an asymptomatic person is any more likely to transmit the virus than a vaccinated person.
sleepybeagle
AG
Get your shot and mind you own business.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Salute The Marines said:

Germany is giving recovered people the same freedoms as vaccinated.
It is INSANE that we are saying stuff like this. Absolutely INSANE. To the point I am losing all hope in our country's future. We will be completely unrecognizable in 10-15 years as people with basic knowledge of the Constitution/Bill of Rights die off.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
geoag58
AG
AggieHusker said:

Dad-O-Lot said:

Dangerous to whom? People who are worried have had the vaccine already or have had ample time and opportunity to be vaccinated. The only people running around without a vaccine now choose not to be vaccinated or have had the disease.
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.