Masks at grocery store poll

16,666 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ORAggieFan
SouthTex99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Most everywhere else is back to normal but not grocery stores. The HEB's in the Rio Grande Valley are still posting signs asking for people to wear masks. And 95%+ comply with it. I generally go without but the ones that do get looked at like they are the Wuhan carrier monkey.

I am suspicious that is only happening here in the liberal RGV. What is everyone is seeing around the state?
88planoAg
AG
Boerne: up to 50% non compliance with HEB mask sign and chirpy announcement. Walmart more compliance, maybe 30% not wearing mask.

Closer you get to San Antonio the more people you see in masks. Costco at UTSA was about 20-30% not wearing masks, and their signs say vaccinated don't have to wear masks. Petsmart at the Rim still has big sign and 100% compliance.
Old Buffalo
AG
TXTransplant
North Houston 'burbs.

I stopped wearing a mask at HEB back in March, when I got my first shot. It was one of the few places I felt ok doing it because it's easy to socially distance at a grocery store, and I knew they weren't going to refuse to let me enter.

When Abbott lifted mask mandates, our HEB put a worker at the door offering masks.

I always just ignored/politely declined. They didn't chase me down.

Not sure exactly when the signs came down, and the person at the door is now gone.

Trader Joe's lifted their mask requirement the day after the CDC said vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks. The couple times I've been, though, most people are still wearing them.

I believe Whole Foods is still requiring masks, but I don't shop there, so I can't say for sure.
JP_Losman
AG
Whole Foods no longer requiring
Imsodopey
AG
Target has removed signs in Austin. Most employees wear masks. Most shoppers also.
ORAggieFan
I'm in CA so we still have restrictions. Went out yesterday without a mask including my first into a regular grocery store. I was only one, but no one said anything.

I was surprised seeing a few people go into Starbucks w/o one, just because of the type that frequent Starbucks. These were definitely not Trump looking types.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I keep a mask in my car. If a business wants their customers to wear one, I will. If there is no sign, I leave it in the car.
jopatura
AG
Our HEB still has the sign, so I wear it there. Usually I only see one or two people not wearing the mask.

Other places have taken the sign down so I've stopped wearing it those places. The swim school my kids go to took down there sign, so I'm currently sitting mask free. Two other moms have theirs on though.
The_Fox
I live in Midland. People are still doing the mask thing?
JB
AG
B/CS

I would say it's down to 50/50 at the HD/Lowes/Walmart/HEB at this point.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
The_Fox said:

I live in Midland. People are still doing the mask thing?

Many people have let the media's fear campaign control their life. Sad.
cc_ag92
AG
Southern Collin County:
We went to two different Krogers over the weekend. Neither had a mask sign. Most customers were masked. I didn't wear one.
Neighborhood Market- I didn't see a sign, but there was still someone at the front. I wore a mask because that person doesn't get paid enough to do that job. I think WM is going to discontinue this practice this week.
Sprouts- Everyone in the store was wearing a mask.
Fed Ex- Not a grocery store but they were serious about mask wearing

Restaurants this weekend
Zalat in Plano- 50-50 mask usage when not at a table
Vickery Park- maybe 2-3 people wearing masks
Almost no one was wearing a mask outside.

I went to Fillmore two weekends ago and almost every person in there was wearing a mask when not at a table. The streets were crowded and were about 50-50 masks. It was interesting to see the change in a week.
BeeAg
AG
I got asked to leave The Container Store in San Antonio last week. Still tons of people wearing masks outside there. In the rural are where I live is virtually no mask except in HEB and WalMart and that's maybe 40% now.
JB
AG
BeeAg said:

I got asked to leave The Container Store in San Antonio last week. Still tons of people wearing masks outside there. In the rural are where I live is virtually no mask except in HEB and WalMart and that's maybe 40% now.

Told I had to wear one at the Woodlands Container Store 3 week ago or I would have to leave. We politely left. No signs at all.
Gilligan
AG
Pearland HEB it's 50/50.

Houston Central Market has a Komrade at the door insisting you wear a mask.

Interesting that the same company has different rules less than 20 miles apart.
Post removed:
by user
speck
AG
SouthTex99 said:

Most everywhere else is back to normal but not grocery stores. The HEB's in the Rio Grande Valley are still posting signs asking for people to wear masks. And 95%+ comply with it. I generally go without but the ones that do get looked at like they are the Wuhan carrier monkey.

I am suspicious that is only happening here in the liberal RGV. What is everyone is seeing around the state?
I don't get it. So they ask you to wear it, you're at their place, and you're like, "nah." They make one request at the outset, and you're like, "nope."

They offer curbside or delivery if you're that mask-averse.
AggieUSMC
AG
I live in eastern NC. None of the businesses here (with a few exceptions) require masks although about 45-50% of the patrons still wear them. Some still have signs up asking that we wear them but I ignore them and only wear my mask if they ask me to (I'm fully vaccinated).
West Point Aggie
AG
La Vernia HEB about 90% masked; I did not and No one said anything
Let’s Go Brandon!
AggieFlyboy
AG
speck said:

SouthTex99 said:

I don't get it. So they ask you to wear it, you're at their place, and you're like, "nah." They make one request at the outset, and you're like, "nope."

No, because they don't really care, the sign was put back to appease the howler monkeys.

Ours here in Belton is about 40% maskless
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Was in San Antonio 3 weeks ago and had to make run to HEB. Was shocked at the 90%+ mask compliance.

We live in Montgomery County. The further north and west you go, the less masks. HEB at Kuykendahl and 1488 probably 50%. HEB on 1488 and Tamina probably 20%. Harvest Market in Woodforest is about 0%. Basically it seems to go like this. Woodlands folks still self complying, true MoCo doesn't give a f*** about a mask
TefIon Don
AG
I stopped wearing a mask after Christmas. Local Kroger in Katy still has 90% in masks like the good little sheep that they are.
West Point Aggie
AG
It seems to bother some people quite a bit if people choose to wear them which never ceases to amaze me. Just like it is someone's choice to vaccinate or not, let people wear them until the 2030s. Some people just will
Let’s Go Brandon!
AggieUSMC
AG
It doesn't bother me at all if some choose to wear masks. I choose not to because I hate them and, since I'm vaccinated, they're unnecessary.

I just think it's silly that vaccinated people wear them just to make them feel virtuous.
TexasAggie008
AG
It's nice because it lets you know "this person sucks and is someone you don't want to associate with", so I welcome continued voluntarily mask wearing
The Fall Guy
AG
I have not worn one for a month now since vaccinated. I am in San Antonio now and my brother and Aunt who are also vaccinated won't take them off. We went to Cosco yesterday and I didn't have it on. My brother freaked out.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
West Point Aggie said:

It seems to bother some people quite a bit if people choose to wear them which never ceases to amaze me. Just like it is someone's choice to vaccinate or not, let people wear them until the 2030s. Some people just will

Most of us would simply laugh behind their backs if that was it. But some mask wearers are simply not comfortable with just wearing their own masks. They have forced draconian rules that have cratered the psyches of a high number of people in this country and emotionally scarred children.

My ten year old still wants to wear a mask when she goes places with our family. She's afraid she'll get in trouble. We have to take it from her and tell her that it's okay, no one is going to yell at her. I will not raise a scared child.

Can I choose to not wear one on the plane? Seems the draconian mask policies are still being forced upon those that don't want them.
Aston94
AG
The Fall Guy said:

I have not worn one for a month now since vaccinated. I am in San Antonio now and my brother and Aunt who are also vaccinated won't take them off. We went to Cosco yesterday and I didn't have it on. My brother freaked out.
Do you ask him why he thinks a vaccinated person should still wear a mask? I am curious why someone would think a mask is needed if vaccinated. The science is questionable on masks before vaccination, but I have seen no scientific justification for wearing one afterwards.

Just curious why anyone would freak out with you having no mask on.

SouthTex99
AG
speck said:

SouthTex99 said:

Their curbside and delivery options are poor, especially for produce. At least they are in the RGV. You get the leftovers. And the policy is also in conflict with CDC guidance.

Imsodopey
AG
Whole Foods (Domain) in Austin has changed their signs to indicate that fully vaccinated shoppers no longer have to wear their masks. No one said a word when I did not wear mine..employees or shoppers.

Edit: I may have been the only shopper not wearing my mask. All employees appeared to be wearing them.

Edit: Central Market (North Lamar) has removed their signs. Again, I may have been the only shopper without a mask. Workers wore masks.
beatlesphan
AG
Tucson AZ here...in the past 2-3 days businesses have put up the "mask not required for vaccinated customers" signs. Of course it's always in small print on a tiny sheet. Certainly not the giant MASK REQUIRED signs from before. Mask wearing is still 95% or so in these businesses. I don't know if it's out of fear or they just don't see the sign.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ken Adams
AG
SW McKinney area for us. 2 weeks ago almost everywhere was 95-99% compliant. We spent all of last week in Louisiana and Florida panhandle. Probably saw a total of 10 people wearing a mask. I got so used to it that it was like going back in time when we got home to see about 90% still wearing masks at Kroger even though the sign clearly says not required for vaccinated people. I'm still shocked how many people keep wearing them by this point.
The Fall Guy
AG
Aston94 said:

The Fall Guy said:

Do you ask him why he thinks a vaccinated person should still wear a mask? I am curious why someone would think a mask is needed if vaccinated. The science is questionable on masks before vaccination, but I have seen no scientific justification for wearing one afterwards.

Just curious why anyone would freak out with you having no mask on.

That's just who he is. He is a germaphobe.
tylercsbn9
AG
I'm shocked HEB still has signs and announcements. Especially with all the other companies that have stopped.

I don't wear one and there's probably still 75% that do but each time I go it seems less and less people are wearing them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.