Gettin More Vaccines in Latin America?

2,699 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TheMasterplan
TXCityAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is it going to take to get more vaccines down here in South America? I live in Colombia and the process has been painfully slow. Less that 5% of the population has been fully vaccinated. We are currently in the middle of a third wave (the worst one yet) and are going through more lockdowns and curfews. There really doesn't seem to be an end in sight.
Buying_time
AG
....and the crazy thing is there are excess doses in Texas. If I was a betting person, you will start hearing of vaccines getting wasted.

coolerguy12
AG
Stop vaccinating anyone with a pulse in the US
88planoAg
AG
Didn't Biden just say he will send vaccines out of country?
jfsalazar@gmail.com
AG
Here...another AGGIE in Colombia. Ended up going to BCS in April to get vaccinated or wait here for 18 more months tp get 40-50 approved.

AG in Medellin
Juan Felipe Salazar
BAMA '97
fightingfarmer09
Just fly to the US and get it. Seems to be what everyone at our company is doing.

Complain about the USA everyday until they get on the plane to get a taxpayer funded vaccine.

We have a team of 6 coming in 2 weeks and they have it on the agenda. Just had 4 last week come in for a "meeting".
Diggity
AG
Fly to Miami, get the J&J and hit the beach.
TXCityAggie
AG
Yes, I'm planning on traveling to the states next month for the J&J. I'm more concerned about the country as a whole. It's falling apart down here.
Diggity
AG
Yeah, my wife's family is in Ecuador and they got hit hard too. No vaccine down there to speak of so they came here.
aggiederelict
I met a couple this weekend who traveled to Austin from Colombia to get the vaccine. They echoed the same sentiments with getting access.
TXCityAggie
AG
jfsalazar@gmail.com said:

Here...another AGGIE in Colombia. Ended up going to BCS in April to get vaccinated or wait here for 18 more months tp get 40-50 approved.

AG in Medellin

Just got back from Medellin yesterday...my favorite city in this part of the world.
buffalo chip
S
How is Mexico faring? Vaccine accessibility, percentage vaccinated, etc?
94chem
Really need to take a trip to South America...
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
RGV AG
AG
buffalo chip said:

Goat roped mess really, the common folks don't have much access. Takes a lot of time, effort, and dinero to be assured of getting it. There will be media reports that contradict this, but for Jose and Maria Sies Pack getting vaccinated is a ways off. And it varies by area and location.
TheMasterplan
fightingfarmer09 said:

Just fly to the US and get it. Seems to be what everyone at our company is doing.

Complain about the USA everyday until they get on the plane to get a taxpayer funded vaccine.

We have a team of 6 coming in 2 weeks and they have it on the agenda. Just had 4 last week come in for a "meeting".
Well as americans abroad are taxed on their foreign income, it's legit.
TXCityAggie
AG
TheMasterplan said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Exactly. I still pay taxes, pay into SS, etc. I don't feel guilty at all about coming back for a vaccine. What's really wild is the number of wealthier Colombians that have been flying into the US to get vaccinated. Honestly, I don't have a problem with it because the money they are spending while in the states more than makes up for the vaccine cost and the US has more than enough doses.
Petrino1
RGV AG said:

buffalo chip said:

Goat roped mess really, the common folks don't have much access. Takes a lot of time, effort, and dinero to be assured of getting it. There will be media reports that contradict this, but for Jose and Maria Sies Pack getting vaccinated is a ways off. And it varies by area and location.

Maria sies pack lololol. Dead.
2aggiesmom
Diggity said:

Fly to Miami, get the J&J and hit the beach.
In Florida you have to provide proof of residency. In Texas you do not even have to be a citizen. Many have driven/ flown in for the vaccine. If you can afford a plane ticket and really want/ need the vaccine , flying to Texas is your best bet.
Diggity
AG
They're pretty lose about that, but you are technically correct
2aggiesmom
Diggity said:

They're pretty lose about that, but you are technically correct
I guess I should have said , "According to Florida's Covid vaccination website, you have to provide proof of residency". It includes what you can provide as proof. I was born and raised in Florida, third generation so I have lots of relatives there. Florida put their elderly citizens at the front of the line. At this point though, anyone that wants a shot should be able to get one.
Diggity
AG
Right. Vaccine tourism was a big issue early on because if wealthy Latinos coming in for the shot. Now that anyone who wants the shot can get it, I think that should go way.

I so think that's been relaxed a lot. At the end of the day, it's the folks on the ground that make the decision and most aren't going to turn you away because you don't have a utility bill.
TheMasterplan
TXCityAggie said:

TheMasterplan said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Exactly. I still pay taxes, pay into SS, etc. I don't feel guilty at all about coming back for a vaccine. What's really wild is the number of wealthier Colombians that have been flying into the US to get vaccinated. Honestly, I don't have a problem with it because the money they are spending while in the states more than makes up for the vaccine cost and the US has more than enough doses.
I don't mind it either however I do echo the point made about saying negative things about the US - hopefully this will cause some to have some self-awareness and self-reflection.

Medical research and R&D are very much a part of the healthcare and not just being able to go into the doctors office for cheap. Not every country has the infrastructure and incentives for private medical research and R&D to flourish.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.