Vaccinating kids?

4,668 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Capitol Ag
Redassag94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm curious how many will have their kids get vaccinated if it comes available. I'm starting to lean towards no. Kids don't really have a bad reaction to COVID. However the science is showing the younger you are, the worse the reaction to the vaccine. Also they are telling us that the vaccine is to lessen the symptoms, not prevent transmission. So I really don't see a reason for kids to get vaccinated. Thoughts??

BTW, my wife and I both got the vaccine, so I have no problem with us getting it. However my six and nine year old is another story.
GAC06
AG
It's a moot point until there are vaccines approved for children. I think they will be perfectly safe, but pointless for children. I would not get this vaccination for my children.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Absolutely not. We weren't going to get the kids vaccinated before this and now that we all had Covid, there is a 0% chance.

I'm still trying to figure out why healthy, low-risk people are taking the vaccine when the side effects often seem worse than actual infection?
Bird Poo
AG
I personally don't think its necessary.

Please be sure to ask your healthcare authorities these questions. Texags is great and all, but folks need to express legitimate concerns to people that make decisions.

Don't mean to be a jerk, but your question is legitimate and needs to be raised outside of an internet community.

I took the J&J vaccine on Sunday and things aren't rigtt.

ORAggieFan
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I'm still trying to figure out why healthy, low-risk people are taking the vaccine when the side effects often seem worse than actual infection?

Because that's not the case. Argue over kids all you want, but catching it is much worse than the vaccination.
Teslag
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Absolutely not. We weren't going to get the kids vaccinated before this and now that we all had Covid, there is a 0% chance.

I'm relatively young and healthy. I got the vaccine because I don't want to give it to others and we can end this theater. Unlike masks, vaccinations do work.
jopatura
AG
I want to read more data on the trials for kids.

My 6 year old watched us get the vaccine and she has point blank asked for one. She very much understands COVID from school. She wants it over with. I would consider it for her.

Ideally they won't even finish up the trials until the end of 2021 so we get to see how the adults have reacted this entire year.
P.U.T.U
AG
To date 258 kids out roughly 80 million have died from Covid. Depending on the year that is about the same or up to half of the amount of kids that die from the flu. Do we mandate flu shots? No reason to vaccinate children unless they have something that makes them at risk. Best thing we can do is keep them active and healthy.
BBQ4Me
AG
Mortality is not the only consequence of contracting COVID. You need to take that into account in one's calculus of getting vaccinated
amercer
AG
Since schools are going to require it, I'm pretty sure almost all kids will be getting it.

But I look forward to this becoming the next bull**** flash point in the culture wars.
vansprinkle
AG
ORAggieFan said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Because that's not the case. Argue over kids all you want, but catching it is much worse than the vaccination.

What about for people that tested positive but were asymptomatic? Is the vaccine less than being asymptomatic?

My FIL had Covid and was asymptomatic. He later got the shot when he could (he's 65) and it flared up his gout to a crippling level, as well as giving him a fever for a day. I (and he) would argue that his first (and only of the two maderna shots that he will take) was much worse than his Covid symptoms. After the way he felt from his first shot, he is refusing to go back for the second, since it is the one that tends to make people feel ill.
beerad12man
AG
vansprinkle said:

ORAggieFan said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

What about for people that tested positive but were asymptomatic? Is the vaccine less than being asymptomatic?

My FIL had Covid and was asymptomatic. He later got the shot when he could (he's 65) and it flared up his gout to a crippling level, as well as giving him a fever for a day. I (and he) would argue that his first (and only of the two maderna shots that he will take) was much worse than his Covid symptoms. After the way he felt from his first shot, he is refusing to go back for the second, since it is the one that tends to make people feel ill.
He is correct, but I would quantify this with saying over a population as a whole.

Not necessarily for each individual. Many individuals have had less severe reactions than the vaccine has had on some others, but overall, it's still not as bad as the virus itself over a group.
P.U.T.U
AG
beerad12man said:

vansprinkle said:

ORAggieFan said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

He is correct, but I would quantify this with saying over a population as a whole.

Not necessarily for each individual. Many individuals have had less severe reactions than the vaccine has had on some others, but overall, it's still not as bad as the virus itself over a group.
What about kids? My daughter was tired for 2 hours and my son has been exposed to 4 positive and has never tested positive.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
ORAggieFan said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Then why were my symptoms and my wife's symptoms, less severe than people we know that had symptoms from the vaccine?

I'll concede that the side effects from the vaccine, which don't always occur, seem to only last 1 day or so vs mild symptoms from Covid that lasted 2-3 days for us.

From my conversations with people that had side effects from the vaccine vs my experience with Covid, the Vaccine side effects are worse. So it was not "much worse than the vaccination"...
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Salute The Marines said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

I'm relatively young and healthy. I got the vaccine because I don't want to give it to others and we can end this theater. Unlike masks, vaccinations do work.
I don't want to give it to others either but that's no longer a problem now. I also ended this theater a long time ago and am not reliant on someone else to tell me when I can live my life.

And for those wondering, we caught Covid from one of our kids, that got it from her teacher... not from lackadaisical choices.
CDub06
AG
I'm fully onboard with vaccinations. I'm healthy and got mine just to avoid being a vector for others. That said, I've got a 3 year old, so no vaccination there. Even if she was 12, I wouldn't consider it. Children just haven't been vectors through this.

Older kids, high school kids - maybe. That's the group they're doing trials on now It's valid. But it's just not necessary for children (especially as more and more adults are vaccinated).
ttha_aggie_09
AG
PearlJammin said:

I personally don't think its necessary.

Please be sure to ask your healthcare authorities these questions. Texags is great and all, but folks need to express legitimate concerns to people that make decisions.

Don't mean to be a jerk, but your question is legitimate and needs to be raised outside of an internet community.

I took the J&J vaccine on Sunday and things aren't rigtt.

Hope you feel better...
Capitol Ag
AG
Salute The Marines said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

This is the approach that the CDC will take to get children vaccinated, once it is approved. I agree that it's probably harmless to them, BUT still do not plan on vaccinating our kiddos. They've had covid and just do not need it as they and their classmates are not at risk.

Now, for the crowd that will argue that the kids could pass it to others, like teachers and at risk adults, I counter with this: Not if the adult is vaccinated. That should solve this problem right there. There is absolutely no reason to vaccinate most children as the adults will have had ample opportunity to choose to vaccinate by this summer. It's on the individual adult to vaccinate, not the parent or child. In the end, this is a decision that must reside with the parent. I can wear a mask and vaccinate to protect others, but I draw the line when it comes to my kids. I think I echo the thoughts of most parents when I write that.
FratboyLegend
Best I can tell, out of 17 posts above, nobody is even considering giving their kids the vaccine.

So, 0% take-up rate so far, which is exactly what I would expect.

#CertifiedSIP
BBQ4Me
AG
FratboyLegend said:

Best I can tell, out of 17 posts above, nobody is even considering giving their kids the vaccine.

So, 0% take-up rate so far, which is exactly what I would expect.

I'll wait until the studies are completed and results disseminated. If the results are similar to adults (high efficacy; extremely rare side effects), then I'll vaccinate my child.
Gordo14
I don't understand the resistance to giving the vaccine to your kids once it's covered under the EUA? Have you not given them other vaccines, or is it just this one for whatever reason that some of y'all are being dramatic about? Like do y'all make a big scene about the hepatitis vaccine, the flu vaccine, the tetanus vaccine, the menengitis vaccine, or the MMR vaccine too? If not, why is the line on this vaccine?
beerad12man
AG
P.U.T.U said:

beerad12man said:

vansprinkle said:

ORAggieFan said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

What about kids? My daughter was tired for 2 hours and my son has been exposed to 4 positive and has never tested positive.
I'm against vaccinations for 0-12 for right now, until more data comes out. No need to rush that, but even some experts seem to want to to be "safe" and get 100% of everyone vaccinated at all costs with zero risk/reward data on it. So we shall see what happens. I think 0-12 year old's could be the first group where, the vaccine is just as bad or worse than the virus. But more safety data would have to come out to swing me either way.

I think if parents want to, it's likely very safe and won't "hurt", but neither will covid for that age group. So in the end, I see it as entirely unnecessary unless more data comes out that variants are spreading among children and a threat to keep this going longer. I doubt that will happen, though.
beerad12man
AG
Capitol Ag said:

Salute The Marines said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

This is the approach that the CDC will take to get children vaccinated, once it is approved. I agree that it's probably harmless to them, BUT still do not plan on vaccinating our kiddos. They've had covid and just do not need it as they and their classmates are not at risk.

Now, for the crowd that will argue that the kids could pass it to others, like teachers and at risk adults, I counter with this: Not if the adult is vaccinated. That should solve this problem right there. There is absolutely no reason to vaccinate most children as the adults will have had ample opportunity to choose to vaccinate by this summer. It's on the individual adult to vaccinate, not the parent or child. In the end, this is a decision that must reside with the parent. I can wear a mask and vaccinate to protect others, but I draw the line when it comes to my kids. I think I echo the thoughts of most parents when I write that.
I personally believe that this will play out, similar to Israel, that once adults are at the 70% or so mark of vaccinations, kids won't be strong enough vectors to keep it going, and deaths/cases will plummet to next to nothing. Yeah, it might never go away 100%, but at such low levels it's just never a threat to any hospital system in America.

If it still seems to be circulating at stronger levels than we'd like, and deaths continue to be higher than we'd like, then you can re-evaluate children with further studying of the vaccines.

But for now, I can't believe experts are even considering it for the 0-12 age ranges until we have the data that it's necessary. Only if it's necessary should we start making that push. But since when have they done anything logical throughout all of this?
Capitol Ag
AG
Gordo14 said:

I don't understand the resistance to giving the vaccine to your kids once it's covered under the EUA? Have you not given them other vaccines, or is it just this one for whatever reason that some of y'all are being dramatic about? Like do y'all make a big scene about the hepatitis vaccine, the flu vaccine, the tetanus vaccine, the menengitis vaccine, or the MMR vaccine too? If not, why is the line on this vaccine?
As a parent, I'll answer. It's not so much of a line, we just want to see time pass on this just to be sure. Again, it's PROBABLY safe, but if it's not necessary for the child's protection, and enough adults have the vaccine so they won't be at all in danger of getting it from a child, why give it to them? There's just no point. The other vaccines you mentioned are for the child's own protection and there has been a lot more time to study any possible side effects. Given time, this too may join the ranks of the other vaccines and no one will care as it's safe.

Until that time comes after a few years of study, we should be good to go.
beerad12man
AG
And even if you don't take a few years, no reason to make the decision now. At best, this will be 3 months down the line when all adults are have had the choice, right? Why not use all 3 of those months to gather more and more information?

If spread remains higher than we'd like when adults are finished, and studies come out about children still spreading it, , and even more studies come out about the vaccine being safe for kids, you can utilize all 3 months to make an even better decision. Years are better, but at the very least, use the next 3 months.
jopatura
AG
Capitol Ag said:

Gordo14 said:

As a parent, I'll answer. It's not so much of a line, we just want to see time pass on this just to be sure. Again, it's PROBABLY safe, but if it's not necessary for the child's protection, and enough adults have the vaccine so they won't be at all in danger of getting it from a child, why give it to them? There's just no point. The other vaccines you mentioned are for the child's own protection and there has been a lot more time to study any possible side effects. Given time, this too may join the ranks of the other vaccines and no one will care as it's safe.

That's my thoughts on it as well. I would also like to see what the numbers do as more adults get vaccinated. Anecdotally my daughter's Elementary school has struggled with COVID cases and they are having a small surge again in kids being infected after Spring Break & Easter. If we get to next fall and it is still bouncing around the school, maybe that makes the vaccine more attractive. Again, I'm open to it for my daughters, but I want to see how the trials go. Both my husband and I are fully vaccinated so I'm not completely opposed to it.

I do have a close friend with a four year old (who attends our elementary school in the pre-K program) currently positive with COVID and it's been a pretty miserable experience for them. He's been really sick since the beginning of the week. He won't die and the parents are fully vaccinated, but he's definitely sicker then I've seen my kids with the flu or strep.
FratboyLegend
Gordo14 said:

EUA is an authorization for emergency use. Meaning a clear and present danger. As it relates to my child, no emergency exists. The situation in no way warrants inoculating my child.
#CertifiedSIP
JFrench
AG
ORAggieFan said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

10+ employees at my office have tested positive over the last year. Only one has had symptoms worse than those at the company who took the vaccine.

They couldn't taste the beer but nice vacation at home for two weeks.

Anecdotal too but only once have we had two employees out at the same time who had it. Outside vendors and truck drivers in and out all day everyday. Not one mask worn by our employees over the course either.
Gordo14
jopatura said:

Capitol Ag said:

Gordo14 said:

That's my thoughts on it as well. I would also like to see what the numbers do as more adults get vaccinated. Anecdotally my daughter's Elementary school has struggled with COVID cases and they are having a small surge again in kids being infected after Spring Break & Easter. If we get to next fall and it is still bouncing around the school, maybe that makes the vaccine more attractive. Again, I'm open to it for my daughters, but I want to see how the trials go. Both my husband and I are fully vaccinated so I'm not completely opposed to it.

I do have a close friend with a four year old (who attends our elementary school in the pre-K program) currently positive with COVID and it's been a pretty miserable experience for them. He's been really sick since the beginning of the week. He won't die and the parents are fully vaccinated, but he's definitely sicker then I've seen my kids with the flu or strep.

I mean I agree, but your kids won't be eligible under the EUA until they release trial results. Would I get my hypothetical kid vaccinated right now? No, the results are coming soon, so no rush. Would I get them vaccinated before next school year assuming the trials go well (extremely likely)? Yes. Even if the risk of COVID is low, the risk of the vaccine will be much lower, and the vaccine will give more durable and longer lasting protection. It'll be a huge benefit to society, particularly kids and adults that can't get vaccinated because they are immunocompromised. Sure society can function again without everyone getting vaccinated, but being vaccinated if you can is important just as it is for everything else we vaccinate for - assuming the vaccines prove to be reliable and safe in that demographic. As it stands right now, the mRNA vaccines appear to be some of the safest and most effective vaccines ever created, and given their mechanism I think that is unlikely to change in all demographics.
Redassag94
AG
Gordo14 said:

None of those vaccines have major side effects. My concern is the younger you are, the more the side effects. I don't want to put my kids through a couple days of flu like symptoms for really no reason. Also the vaccines according to Faucci do not prevent spread. The point of the vaccine according to Faucci it is to lower the symptoms and lower the death rates. Since kids statistically don't die from COVID, then I lean towards why have kids get it.

Also I do plan to get our doctors opinion.
beerad12man
AG
Fauci is one of the worst messengers in the world, though. The data does show that they do, in fact, greatly reduce spread. By a large amount.
cone
AG
FratboyLegend said:

Gordo14 said:

EUA is an authorization for emergency use. Meaning a clear and present danger. As it relates to my child, no emergency exists. The situation in no way warrants inoculating my child.
exactly

someone explain the ethics to me

especially after the J&J pause
BowSowy
AG
Redassag94 said:

Gordo14 said:

None of those vaccines have major side effects. My concern is the younger you are, the more the side effects. I don't want to put my kids through a couple days of flu like symptoms for really no reason. Also the vaccines according to Faucci do not prevent spread. The point of the vaccine according to Faucci it is to lower the symptoms and lower the death rates. Since kids statistically don't die from COVID, then I lean towards why have kids get it.

Also I do plan to get our doctors opinion.
This is a good point, as well. If I can avoid making my daughter feel sick, I'd prefer that. Like you, I plan to ask our pediatrician for her opinion at our next visit.
mccjames
AG
Ok we can play this game all day, why did my employee young and healthy go on a vent and take 3 weeks to recover? Why did my friends 76 year old mom die but his 80 year dad not die?

Look do what you want but it is very simple this is a unique virus that has a huge range from nothing to death. The vaccine does not have the same range not even close.

If you don't want to take it don't. But a little fever over 24 hours is a pretty small price to pay imho
Easy come, Easy go
cone
AG
for example

is it ethical to give the J&J shot to a 18 yo girl, given the relative risk? would it be ethical even if there weren't alternative avenues for vaccination, given the impact of the virus itself on that cohort?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.