Anyone get tested after being vaccinated- travel requirement

2,461 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Robert C. Christian
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Family is traveling this summer and destination still says you must have negative Covid test even if vaccinated. Never mind I think this is totally unnecessary- one of the reason people are getting the vax is so they can travel. But is there any chance you can still test positive even after both doses? Possible for false positives after the vaccine?
PJYoung
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Family is traveling this summer and destination still says you must have negative Covid test even if vaccinated. Never mind I think this is totally unnecessary- one of the reason people are getting the vax is so they can travel. But is there any chance you can still test positive even after both doses? Possible for false positives after the vaccine?
The odds are very low but it's certainly not zero.
PJYoung
AG
We went to Costa Rica last month and it was certainly a small concern in the back of my mind even though we had all been vaccinated long before.

We are going back in June and I hope the requirements will have changed by then but I wouldn't be shocked if we still have to get tested to get on that return flight.
cowenlaw
AG
Had to get a rapid test to see Dave Chapelle at Stubb's in Austin even though I was fully vaccinated.
Capitol Ag
AG
cowenlaw said:

Had to get a rapid test to see Dave Chapelle at Stubb's in Austin even though I was fully vaccinated.
Wait. This is the first I've ever heard of an event requiring testing.
cowenlaw
AG
It was worth it. Chapelle was awesome.
buffalo chip
S
The testing lobbies must have some skin with the present administration. That CDC guideline (COVID test within 72 hours of return flight must be negative) was issued January 26. Follow the money...
BMach
AG
Him and Rogan have been doing it for months at their shows at Stubbs in Austin
Fitch
AG
I'm in periodic meetings with music concert and large organizers as part of work and this type of thing was planned out last summer as a means build public confidence and get spectators back into venues. The world has since changed, what with sporting events resuming and vaccine rollout cranking along. I don't expect these policies will last past summer, if that long.
ArkyAg
Does getting the vaccine cause you to test positive for COVID-19?
The short answer is no.
The two types of tests used to detect active COVID-19 infection are the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test and the rapid antigen test. These are both viral tests, meaning they test for active infection to see if you currently have COVID-19. The COVID-19 vaccines do not actually contain the COVID-19 virus and cannot cause active infection so you won't test positive for COVID-19 from the vaccine.
Tex117
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

This is true now, but the airline industry (and others) have submitted a formal letter to POTUS to change this.

Tex117
AG
buffalo chip said:

The testing lobbies must have some skin with the present administration. That CDC guideline (COVID test within 72 hours of return flight must be negative) was issued January 26. Follow the money...
Oh I did not know that. That is absolutely garbage if true.

Moreover, I do know that you can take the test in the US, fly internationally, and if you come back in 3 days and that test is negative, you are good to go.

How in the effing world does that make sense?

BiochemAg97
AG
ArkyAg said:

Does getting the vaccine cause you to test positive for COVID-19?
The short answer is no.
The two types of tests used to detect active COVID-19 infection are the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test and the rapid antigen test. These are both viral tests, meaning they test for active infection to see if you currently have COVID-19. The COVID-19 vaccines do not actually contain the COVID-19 virus and cannot cause active infection so you won't test positive for COVID-19 from the vaccine.
Are you sure about that? PCR test checks for presence viral RNA, and at least some of the PCR tests test specifically for spike protein RNA. Moderna/Pfizer vaccines are direct injection of spike protein mRNA and the J&J/AZ vaccines use an adenovirus carrier to carrier the spike protein + strand RNA that is used to produce the spike protein mRNA.

The PCR test I am most familiar with tests for 3 different viral RNA segments, one of which is the spike protein, but requires at least 2 to be present for a positive test, so the vaccine shouldn't result in a positive test. However, I think one of the 3 being detected is an inconclusive test rather than a negative test.
amercer
AG
My company got the Moderna vaccine and we continued our weekly testing for a couple months after. No positives.
Rock1982
AG
Germany no longer requires quarantine or testing after vaccine.
GEA89
AG
Let me know when Hawaii kills theirs, had a great trip planned for my wedding anniversary that COVID killed.
Fan
S
GEA89 said:

Let me know when Hawaii kills theirs, had a great trip planned for my wedding anniversary that COVID killed.
We're still waiting to take our 60th birthday trip to Hawaii. I turned 61 yesterday.
mccjames
AG
Simple answer is if they require test even if vaccinated they don't need your business!
Easy come, Easy go
PJYoung
AG
mccjames said:

Simple answer is if they require test even if vaccinated they don't need your business!

The US still requires a test for everybody coming back into the country.
The Shank Ag
Just got back from bass fishing in Mexico. They sent a lab to come give us all rapid tests the day before we left. 8 in the group, all negative. First nasal swab ive had since the pandemic started. Wasn't a fan.

4 of the 8 of us were vaccinated.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Went on an international trip 2 weeks after getting second phizer shot. No issues with the PCR tests. We ended up taking 3 (2 to go, 1 to come back). All were clear.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.