Question: Proactive measures prior to 2nd Moderna Dose

1,734 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tom Cardy
AggieDawg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I am scheduled to get my second dose this week. Has anyone read or have the physicians commented on measures you could take prior to reduce side effects? I have heard just making sure you are hydrated and stay hydrated. What about any vitamins, OTC meds etc? Any feedback is appreciated!
Tom Cardy
AG
Recommended to not use OTC meds for prophylaxis, and treat as needed after the shot. I thought it would be a lot worse but I only ended up needing 1g Tylenol on the second day for the joint pain. The goal is to produce an immune response, so you don't want to limit your body's ability to do that beforehand.
rbcs_2
AG
In all likelihood you will have pretty mild side effects. I wouldn't sweat it too much. My personal experience was a low fever and chills that lasted about 2 hours and that was it.
Scotts Tot
AG
Everything I've read is the same. Do not treat beforehand as it could dull the immune response, but treat afterwards if you're in a lot of pain.

Between my wife and I, she had an excruciating headache at about 24 hours with fatigue, and I had some joint pain and mild fatigue.
Duncan Idaho
I think the guidance is don't take anything before, and take minimal tylenol if you have side effects that are unbearable.

You want the most agressive response from your immune system.
Aggie95
AG
nothing before hand...other than stay hydrated. Tylenol or Advil 6hrs after is what I was told after 2nd shot. I got my 2nd Moderna last Monday. No issues for first several hours except tender around injection site. Developed 100.4 temp and flu-like aches around the 18-24 hour mark..took 2 Tylenol and that was it.
Petrino1
This may not apply for Moderna, but after the 1st pfizer shot I felt nauseous and dizzy all day. Felt sick to my stomach. My mom experienced the same thing, but we both felt better after eating. Before the second shot I made sure to eat a full meal beforehand, and didnt feel as nauseous after getting the shot.
SouthTex99
AG
Fairview
AG
I had COVID (asymptomatic) in the fall.

My shot was scheduled on a Saturday and the night before had a couple beers, was up late watching a movie with the family, stuff like that. Got the shot Saturday afternoon and felt fine until Sunday afternoon then it kicked my ass. Joints felt like I was 90, extreme fatigue, etc. - but no fever.

For my second shot I wanted to be smarter about it. Went to bed early the night before, no alcohol, slept 9 hours and I was ready. Felt good all Saturday and Sunday morning was out and about. About 3:00 Sunday afternoon spiked a fever, had shivers, bad joint pain and felt really awful for about 4 hours then it got a little better to just feeling not great.

So my experience is its going to do what its going to do so I wouldn't worry about prepping for it. And hopefully it doesn't impact you at all. My mom and wife had no side effects which in turn means they think I was exaggerating.

The good news is Monday morning both times I felt totally normal with no lingering effects.
94chem
Fairview said:

I had COVID (asymptomatic) in the fall.

My shot was scheduled on a Saturday and the night before had a couple beers, was up late watching a movie with the family, stuff like that. Got the shot Saturday afternoon and felt fine until Sunday afternoon then it kicked my ass. Joints felt like I was 90, extreme fatigue, etc. - but no fever.

For my second shot I wanted to be smarter about it. Went to bed early the night before, no alcohol, slept 9 hours and I was ready. Felt good all Saturday and Sunday morning was out and about. About 3:00 Sunday afternoon spiked a fever, had shivers, bad joint pain and felt really awful for about 4 hours then it got a little better to just feeling not great.

So my experience is its going to do what its going to do so I wouldn't worry about prepping for it. And hopefully it doesn't impact you at all. My mom and wife had no side effects which in turn means they think I was exaggerating.

The good news is Monday morning both times I felt totally normal with no lingering effects.
No way would I schedule it for a Friday or Saturday.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
revvie
AG
Did not have any side effects from first dose. Ached like h*** for about 12 hours a day after second dose.
Fitch
AG
Hydrate. That's about all.
Matsui
AG
Had same. Fever. Chills pain. For 24 hours. Started 18 hours post shot
shertown04
AG
I had joint pain and chills for one evening with the first shot. My wife had a very low grade fever for like 4 days and was fatigued (got a covid test to be sure, it was negative). We didn't time it very well. We have the second shot coming up in 2 weeks, the day before we were originally going to take a trip for our anniversary. We've pushed back our trip a week in anticipation that we may not feel good for a few days. Don't want to ruin the trip by feeling like crap while driving across the country.

Oops. Wrong emoji. Oh well.
Unemployed
AG
All of the folks (and myself) I know had mild flu-like symptoms. All was back to 100% after 24 hours.

I understand that you'd rather not have any side effects at all but there's nothing to worry about. People are making a bigger deal out if it than it actually is.

94chem
shertown04 said:

I had joint pain and chills for one evening with the first shot. My wife had a very low grade fever for like 4 days and was fatigued (got a covid test to be sure, it was negative). We didn't time it very well. We have the second shot coming up in 2 weeks, the day before we were originally going to take a trip for our anniversary. We've pushed back our trip a week in anticipation that we may not feel good for a few days. Don't want to ruin the trip by feeling like crap while driving across the country.

Oops. Wrong emoji. Oh well.
Quite likely means you've already had Covid if you reacted that way to the first shot.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Tex117
AG
Living through this as we speak. Had my second shot yesterday.

I would be ready for some chills. Have some blankets available when you go to sleep.

After a rough night, I took a few advil and now feel a bit better.

That said, I don't think Advil or Tylenol can actually blunt an immune response. That is not what they do.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
People make too big a deal about this. MOST people don't really notice anything. Maybe a little fatigue. That's what I had, and that's the worst any of the people I know have had. I think the multiple days of feeling like crap, fever, chills, etc., is pretty rare. Get the shot and let your body do its thing.
Tom Cardy
AG
This. People are almost always more likely to post or report bad symptoms than minor/none.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.