What to Make of Michigan Spike

6,180 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JP_Losman
Goodbull_19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are we to make of the spike in Michigan?

Looks like a huge spike in cases, and deaths are significantly rising as well. Are they behind on vaccinations? Didn't have as much transmission community wide as we did here? Wondering how they can be having this massive spike while things on seem to keep improving here.
GAC06
AG
Northern states had a spike last April
DrZ
AG
It appears to be the worst state by far. You could argue lockdowns makes it worse but comparing to NY and California it is far worse than those as well. It is a strange situation there
Cepe
AG
I think the simple answer is seasonality.

Coronavirus is a cold virus. If you look at the spikes nationally they have corresponded with winter colds season and summer colds seasons. Same in Texas.

I haven't seen any data on Michigan but Texas was pretty much spot on when it hits us each year. I suspect we'll see an uptick in the July timeframe but hopefully the vaccines short circuit it.

Seasonality is why all there "controls" are useless IMO.
beerad12man
AG
Seasonality, and some are saying they might have hit their peak. Apparently 3 days in a row where percent positives dropped a bit. Seasonality helps, here, but didn't there and outweighed the little bit ahead they are in vaccinations(35% to 32% 1st doses doesn't make much difference)

While the vaccine rollouts are great, at 35%, and maybe 25-30% naturally immunity, including overlap, you still have potentially 50-55% of your population susceptible to it. Although the numbers should skew towards the younger crowd.

Also, deaths haven't spiked anywhere near as much as they did last time just looking at the graph below at quick glance. At least not at the same rate as the cases went up in November/December. The case spike looks eerily similar to around November 20th at the same time and rate as last year. Only by then, you were looking at 66-70 deaths per day, as oppose to now the spike shows 43 deaths per day. So I don't think the deaths are as high per case, nor will result in the same spike as a couple months back deaths wise. Makes sense with more numbers skewed towards the younger crowds and more immunity in the elderly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=michigan+covid+numbers&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS872US872&oq=michigan+covid&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l2j69i57j69i59j0i20i131i263i433j0i67i131i433j69i60l2.2039j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
FratboyLegend
Per the link above, Deaths per day have "spiked" from 20 d/d to 40 d/d.

Not clear why this warrants a massive policy change.
#CertifiedSIP
amercer
AG
I think the seasonality explanation is almost as overhyped as the public policy explanations. At this point we still don't have a damn clue on how this virus acts on the population level.

On the individual level it's easy to avoid, or if you haven't pretty easy to see how you caught it. But translating that to the large scale is a continuing worldwide failure (unless you are an island, or can literally lock millions of people in their houses for months whenever you want)
Not a Bot
AG
It is a strange beast, no doubt.
BBQ4Me
AG
They have the 2nd highest number of the UK variant per capita among states
ReloadAg
AG
I have relatives in MI so I've spent a lots of time there and there's a lot of fats in that state. Could explain it.
plain_o_llama
Some charts are available here
https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98163_98173---,00.html

If you look at this plot of confirmed case counts you might suppose they didn't get the first wave like other places and they are playing catch up.

OTOH, if you look at the Deaths by Date chart the picture is different. Perhaps, they had little to no testing during the first wave.

Contrast this with the pattern of hospitalizations in the Houston metro area
https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/total-tmc-covid-19-positive-patients-in-hospital/

YMMV
P.U.T.U
AG
I know a lot of the people in the NE just now opened up more essential businesses and schools. More places are having employees come back to work as well. Plus they are pretty unhealthy up there, especially after winter.

Some people I know said they had to get on anxiety meds since they had to go back to work and same with their kids which is crazy to me.
beerad12man
AG
Yeah, it's just crazy to see people from Oregon, New York, New Jersey, etc., post on facebook and how different they think than the average person I talk with here. Some are truly frightened. Even most texans I know who were pro social distancing and masks aren't frightened as an individual.

And yet, through it all, numbers were pretty even throughout most states. some more draconian states looking to fair better, some not as much. And vice versa with states that had less restrictions. no doubt about it, I'm glad I lived in texas versus just about any other state throughout this, other than maybe Florida.
beerad12man
AG
One thing you notice is that despite cases spiking pretty well, deaths have seen no where near the same rate of spike as last time in comparison to cases. suggesting that the vaccines do, in fact work as they have been implemented in the elderly who have higher death rates. I'm sure if you look at the current cases, the percentages of 20/30/40 year olds are far higher.
Squadron7
AG
My guess is then when you lock down you inhibit the spread through the less vulnerable elements of the population which enables them to spread the virus later on.
beerad12man
AG
Squadron7 said:

My guess is then when you lock down you inhibit the spread through the less vulnerable elements of the population which enables them to spread the virus later on.

I think there's definitely some of this, too.

It wouldn't shock me if Michigan's younger population has less immunity than our younger population that we built up throughout the last year.
BCG Disciple
AG
Is heard immunity, or lack thereof as a result of lockdowns, a potential factor?
Unemployed
AG
BCG Disciple said:

Is heard immunity, or lack thereof as a result of lockdowns, a potential factor?
Deafinitely.

Sorry, I had to do it.
beerad12man
AG
Michigan's cases appear to be more in the 20/30/40 year old age ranges as opposed to the more vaccinated 60-80 year old age ranges. Some do argue that they have less immunity in those age ranges than texas, who was more open throughout, and likely spread it among the 50 and under crowd more. It's not unreasonable to argue that, even though Michigan has slightly more vaccinations, Texas has more overall immunity.

Here's Monica Ghandi hinting that Michigan might be behind California, and we all know texas is going to have as many natural infections as just about anyone just based on us being open.

RandyAg98
AG
Seasonality might play a role, as it does with most repiratory viruses. But in Houston, our peak was July 4,2020. How does that jibe with seasonality?
BCG Disciple
AG
Ha. Well done.
94chem
RealTalk said:

BCG Disciple said:

Deafinitely.

Sorry, I had to do it.
Post has an earie quality to it.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Beat40
RandyAg98 said:

Seasonality might play a role, as it does with most repiratory viruses. But in Houston, our peak was July 4,2020. How does that jibe with seasonality?

One explanation could be we locked down during the time when seasonality would show itself and therefore delayed the spread. Once opened up, spread began to happen.

Houston did see a spike in Nov/Dec/Jan, which is the normal seasonality of the Flu and other viruses.

Not sure we're going to know for sure either way until there is more time for data.

Seasonality is an educated guess based on history and similar patterns of other respiratory viruses. Doesn't mean it's right, but there is some historical precedent.
Squadron7
AG
94chem said:

RealTalk said:

BCG Disciple said:

Deafinitely.

Sorry, I had to do it.
Post has an earie quality to it.

I saw Deaf Leppard at the Summit in 1995.
BowSowy
AG
beerad12man said:

Yeah, it's just crazy to see people from Oregon, New York, New Jersey, etc., post on facebook and how different they think than the average person I talk with here. Some are truly frightened. Even most texans I know who were pro social distancing and masks aren't frightened as an individual.

My wife had a family member from Oregon come visit us last weekend, and she was truly shocked at how many people were out and about at parks, stores, and restaurants. She was even more shocked when I told her that it's basically been this way since last summer. You're right, it is absolutely crazy to see how differently people in other states are living their lives.
beerad12man
AG
Now go read some comments from people in other countries. It's even worse. It's a wonder if this ever ends, at least in other countries, because some people have been so brainwashed into believing they are mere seconds away from dying at any time.

We have lost all sense of relative risk in the last year. Never have we ever had a daily tracker for a single death publicized like this. It's absolutely terrible for the future of humanity, IMHO.

And the Texas population has increased throughout all of this. People are treating this like an extinction level event if we don't do everything completely right. A year into this. I'm truly amazed at how we are still where we are, and more people haven't discovered relative risk and just refused to be locked up, etc. It's less than 1% of the top 1% of the world telling the other 99.9999% how to live.
Capitol Ag
AG
beerad12man said:

Now go read some comments from people in other countries. It's even worse. It's a wonder if this ever ends, at least in other countries, because some people have been so brainwashed into believing they are mere seconds away from dying at any time.

We have lost all sense of relative risk in the last year. Never have we ever had a daily tracker for a single death publicized like this. It's absolutely terrible for the future of humanity, IMHO.

And the Texas population has increased throughout all of this. People are treating this like an extinction level event if we don't do everything completely right. A year into this. I'm truly amazed at how we are still where we are, and more people haven't discovered relative risk and just refused to be locked up, etc. It's less than 1% of the top 1% of the world telling the other 99.9999% how to live.
It's about pulling off the band aid. For many in TX, they were apprehensive through the Summer but as they watched more and more of their friends and neighbors go out, they became more comfortable to the idea and eventually got out as well. Some question TX's strategy of opening as much as we did early on, but it truly appears we did the right thing as any spikes we had most likely would have happened anyway given the amount of spikes in the most locked down states at the worst of it. It really was a situation where there was going to be a spike regardless of whether the state locked down or not.

The country needs to open up even more. There's no doubt in my mind. Too many around the country are fine with laying low and that's just not healthy. The band aid needs to be ripped off everywhere. The discomfort many will feel at first will subside and in it's place will be a much more healthy ability to get on with life they way it was intended to be. Sometimes this kind of thing needs to be forced on people. If not forced, at least, as TX did a month and a half ago, open it all up 100%, make individual businesses have to enforce their own policies moving forward so that eventually they will see that the enforcement is too taxing to do while also being able to perform their normal business duties. Encourage people to be out, spend money, socialize and get back to normal. Especially the vaccinated. The vaccinated are safe and won't spread the virus to any noticeable level. Will some catch Covid? Yes. But as long as its much more rare the amount of positive cases do not overwhelm the hospital system, that is totally acceptable and needs to be. Life will always have risks. Again, the ONLY reason to shut down, have limits and restrictions, masks etc was to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed. Once that isn't the issue, we must get back to a complete old normal. If things start to shift in policy to a point where we are trying to completely eradicate the virus so that there are no positive cases period, than we are doing things very wrong.
Cepe
AG
beerad12man said:

Michigan's cases appear to be more in the 20/30/40 year old age ranges as opposed to the more vaccinated 60-80 year old age ranges. Some do argue that they have less immunity in those age ranges than texas, who was more open throughout, and likely spread it among the 50 and under crowd more. It's not unreasonable to argue that, even though Michigan has slightly more vaccinations, Texas has more overall immunity.

Here's Monica Ghandi hinting that Michigan might be behind California, and we all know texas is going to have as many natural infections as just about anyone just based on us being open.

The under 50 comment resonates with me because when we had the Nov/ Dec spike last year it was really the first time I heard of people I knew getting it. It was basically people in my neighborhood in my age range.
Tex117
AG
Capitol Ag said:

beerad12man said:

It's about pulling off the band aid. For many in TX, they were apprehensive through the Summer but as they watched more and more of their friends and neighbors go out, they became more comfortable to the idea and eventually got out as well. Some question TX's strategy of opening as much as we did early on, but it truly appears we did the right thing as any spikes we had most likely would have happened anyway given the amount of spikes in the most locked down states at the worst of it. It really was a situation where there was going to be a spike regardless of whether the state locked down or not.

The country needs to open up even more. There's no doubt in my mind. Too many around the country are fine with laying low and that's just not healthy. The band aid needs to be ripped off everywhere. The discomfort many will feel at first will subside and in it's place will be a much more healthy ability to get on with life they way it was intended to be. Sometimes this kind of thing needs to be forced on people. If not forced, at least, as TX did a month and a half ago, open it all up 100%, make individual businesses have to enforce their own policies moving forward so that eventually they will see that the enforcement is too taxing to do while also being able to perform their normal business duties. Encourage people to be out, spend money, socialize and get back to normal. Especially the vaccinated. The vaccinated are safe and won't spread the virus to any noticeable level. Will some catch Covid? Yes. But as long as its much more rare the amount of positive cases do not overwhelm the hospital system, that is totally acceptable and needs to be. Life will always have risks. Again, the ONLY reason to shut down, have limits and restrictions, masks etc was to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed. Once that isn't the issue, we must get back to a complete old normal. If things start to shift in policy to a point where we are trying to completely eradicate the virus so that there are no positive cases period, than we are doing things very wrong.
Im in this camp.

There has to be an end in sight. To me (and it seems for science), the vaccine is that goal. Once you hit the level of "if any adult wants a vaccine they can get one" then you have to rip the bandaid off and go for it.

None of this whole "look at the variants!" bull sheet. If the vaccine is wholly uneffective against that, then that is a different conversation. But it looks like there is a pretty good level of protection there.

There has to be a bright line drawn where we all collectively say "we are okay with this."
P.U.T.U
AG
If you look at places along the same latitude they spike around the same time and it shifts seasonally. That is why you are seeing places like the UK and Germany peaking now along with states like Michigan. Texas spiked during the same time as other places with the same latitude as well. Along with that most of that latitude has been in winter (actual winter, not the 2-3 weeks we get per year) and are just now coming out and about.

beerad12man
AG
BiochemAg97
AG
plain_o_llama said:

Some charts are available here
https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98163_98173---,00.html

If you look at this plot of confirmed case counts you might suppose they didn't get the first wave like other places and they are playing catch up.

OTOH, if you look at the Deaths by Date chart the picture is different. Perhaps, they had little to no testing during the first wave.

Contrast this with the pattern of hospitalizations in the Houston metro area
https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/total-tmc-covid-19-positive-patients-in-hospital/

YMMV
The March to May peak last year in MI almost certainly was under testing. FDA didn't give EUA to commercial tests until April '20 and then the need to ramp up production/testing. No way they had mass testing of asymptomatic people at least until the end of that first wave, and still far below the levels of testing in their November wave.
JP_Losman
AG
Michigan has 40% with one dose and 28% with two.

Astounding that they could have a major outbreak with that many immune in the population.

Combine vaccinated with those who have natural immunity and its even more disturbing.
BCG Disciple
AG
JP_Losman said:

Michigan has 40% with one dose and 28% with two.

Astounding that they could have a major outbreak with that many immune in the population.

Combine vaccinated with those who have natural immunity and its even more disturbing.
They have been **** down for a year. The bug did not circulate like it did in other areas. Herd immunity (non vaccinated) is not what it is in other areas. They're going to take it on the chin a little by opening with 40% vaccinated.
beerad12man
AG
Michigan has been tapering off and declining now in most categories for 2 weeks if you look at the peak points of CLI, positivity rating, cases, hospitalizations, ICU, etc.

CLI 4/4/21
Peak positivity 4/9/21
Cases 4/9/21
Hospitalizations 4/13/21

(which means likely many of their infections were the last week of March and first week or 2 of April. Since infections are 5 to 14+ days before these numbers come to be)

They started spiking with only about 25-28% or so vaccinated, not 40%. That's on the real low end to expect them to do too much with cases unless you have high natural immunity(it did help with deaths, getting to that later). But... I would suspect that they might have less natural immunity than others like Texas since they had more strict measures throughout most of this. So Texas, even at 5% or so less vaccinations, possibly had 10-20% more natural immunity, meaning higher overall immunity. Then you add in seasonality is helping us compared to them. They were in their seasonal trend from last year, not close enough to community immunity threshold, let guard down, stopped many distancing measures, and had a spike of cases (far less deaths than the previous two spikes at the same case rate, by the way)

There is never one singular issue. IMHO, it depends on many factors. Seasonality, vaccinations and natural immunity combined, behavior of the population, and in some cases, once it gets going, it just gets going if you have a couple of these factors working against you.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.