Outdoor transmission

7,721 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by El Chupacabra
Agthatbuilds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is basically nil

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/outdoor-transmission-accounts-for-0-1-of-state-s-covid-19-cases-1.4529036?mode=amp&__twitter_impression=true
TexasAggie008
AG
Outdoor mask wearing is the worst of all of the covid virtue signals

It speaks volumes about the individual doing it
Infection_Ag11
AG
I've said from the start outdoor transmission would be negligible, because we have a centuries worth of data on respiratory viruses that shows this. Unless you are within 3 feet or so of someone who is actively ill for a sustained time period, you just aren't going to receive a large enough inoculum outside to become ill yourself. There are exceptions to this (measles prior to vaccination for instance) but this is generally true across the broad spectrum of viruses with predominantly droplet spread.

Transmission of most respiratory viruses occurs almost exclusively indoors, which is one reason why most are more prevalent during the cold weather months. Contrary to what grandma told you, nobody gets a cold from going outside. It's because everyone else is inside all day in close quarters.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bigtruckguy3500
TexasAggie008 said:

What volumes does it speak about the individual wearing it?

Personally I think not everyone is trying to virtue signal. Not everyone that wears a mask or refrains from engaging in life as normal is living in fear. Some people that wear the mask outdoors may be fearful of a passing interaction, and may simply not know any better. Others may do it out of convenience. I frequently wear my mask walking outdoors from building to building, or driving short distances between places that require masks. I'm sure there are people that see me in my car wearing my mask by myself and are thinking I'm an idiot or I'm virtue signalling to random strangers, but I don't care.

I think people that get triggered by others wearing masks speaks volumes about them. J/k. But seriously, just move on and stop judging everyone.

Sorry for the rant.
NASAg03
bigtruckguy3500 said:

TexasAggie008 said:

Personally I think not everyone is trying to virtue signal. Not everyone that wears a mask or refrains from engaging in life as normal is living in fear. Some people that wear the mask outdoors may be fearful of a passing interaction, and may simply not know any better. Others may do it out of convenience. I frequently wear my mask walking outdoors from building to building, or driving short distances between places that require masks. I'm sure there are people that see me in my car wearing my mask by myself and are thinking I'm an idiot or I'm virtue signalling to random strangers, but I don't care.

I think people that get triggered by others wearing masks speaks volumes about them. J/k. But seriously, just move on and stop judging everyone.

Sorry for the rant.
What would be your view of someone walking around wearing a tin foil hat?
Darth Randy
bigtruckguy3500 said:

TexasAggie008 said:

Sorry for the rant.
Like in your own vehicle, alone?
amercer
AG
I don't like wearing my mask, and only do it when I have to, but plenty of people don't seem that bothered. So I'm not sure it's virtue signaling as much as they are just used to it. Hell, my 13 year old daughter played an entire soccer game last week in a mask and didn't miss a beat. It was a little mind blowing.
bay fan
S
Agthatbuilds said:

Is basically nil

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/outdoor-transmission-accounts-for-0-1-of-state-s-covid-19-cases-1.4529036?mode=amp&__twitter_impression=true
Honestly, nobody is worried about this. We didn't need the Irish times to tell us, just common sense.
bay fan
S
bigtruckguy3500 said:

TexasAggie008 said:

Sorry for the rant.
Spot on as usual.
Agthatbuilds
Thats why we shutdown parks?

Or places banned outdoor exercise, dog walking and so on?

Remember this?

bay fan
S
Yep. And I was fine with it a year ago. Why don't you show a current picture?
GAC06
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

TexasAggie008 said:

Sorry for the rant.

Yeah
GAC06
AG
bay fan said:

We know you were fine with it. That's kind of the point.
TheMasterplan
bay fan said:

Yep. And you were wrong. As were the so-called "experts" as well. You would think you would start to question other things you might be wrong about as well.
Teslag
AG
bay fan said:

You should have never been fine with it. There was no science behind it at all. That's what frustrates so many of us. Many of the decisions made had no basis in science, as the good doctor infectionAg mentioned above.
coolerguy12
AG
bay fan said:

I can't believe you would admit you were fine with someone paddle boarding alone getting arrested. An event with literally no risk of spread turns into an event where the "criminal" is now putting the police at risk by being in their presence.

Events like this prove that it was about control rather than science. And you're ok with that. Really says a lot about you
beerad12man
AG
GAC06 said:

bay fan said:

beerad12man
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

TexasAggie008 said:

Sorry for the rant.

I think the reason those that don't like masks judge others who wear them in vehicles, etc., are because those are the same types(not you, necessarily, but in general) that have given them crap all year long about not wanting to wear one or thinking we should be forced to. To some of us, it bothers us more than others. We believe it's just a constant reminder of the world we live in, dehumanizes us all, takes away non-verbal contact, etc., with minimal positive effect. And as I've said plenty of times, if I were to be visiting someone's grandma in an enclosed setting, and they were uncomfortable, I'd be the first to wear double masks and even inquire about a face shield if someone had it. Why not be extra careful there?. But, as always, when rules get implemented, they tend go overboard. We muzzled our entire population at all times even in situations where spread isn't seen as likely, or even possible, rather than putting out some common sense rules, instead.

Look, I like what you said here and do wish people would stop judging others about this. But I mean that on both sides of the argument. Particularly now that number are down, and vaccines are rolling out to just about any adult who wants one now, people shouldn't be receiving the side eye or called a murderer if they choose not to wear one. Maybe you could make the argument when things are at or near their peak / spiking, others are as****** if they refuse to wear one. Okay, maybe. Me personally? I wear one when I know it's effective and useful, and not just because.

But when numbers are a minimal, and vaccines keep rolling out to the high risk, they become less and less necessary/statistically useful, which was minimal to begin with. With hospitalizations at about 16% of the max covid hospital capacity here in Texas, and this being America where freedom of choice reigns, wearing a mask is not even close to the difference between us overwhelming hospitals or not. It really should go back to being optional in the vast majority of settings moving forward, but the reason some of us have the pushback against it is because we know rules are implemented with the snap of a finger, but take forever to remove. If at all.

fightingfarmer09
amercer said:

I don't like wearing my mask, and only do it when I have to, but plenty of people don't seem that bothered. So I'm not sure it's virtue signaling as much as they are just used to it. Hell, my 13 year old daughter played an entire soccer game last week in a mask and didn't miss a beat. It was a little mind blowing.

And the fact you say that like you are proud you allowed it to happen says all I need.
beerad12man
AG
Yeah, that's child abuse to me. Not saying amercer is at fault, but the rule is child abuse. don't care what anyone else says. It's absurd we are doing this to children, when this is less dangerous to that child than getting the flu. Both of which are damn near impossible to do while playing soccer.
AggieOO
i agree that there's little to no reason to wear masks outside in most cases....but child abuse? lol. no really, i laughed out loud at the absurdity.
Aust Ag
AG
amercer said:

They finally let elementary school kids in my district go do their 15 minutes of recess outside without a mask this week. I asked my kid this morning, "Was it cool, did you like it?" He said yes! I said what about the other kids,what did they say? He said they all were still wearing their masks, even though they didn't have to.

I think that is because of 2 things, either their parents told them to (but they're at school, not doing online, so I doubt this), or they are just conditioned to do it at this point. Which is what I think is going on. Why? Because when I see kids walking home or riding their bikes home after school, about 90% still have their masks on, a 1/2 mile from the school. By themselves. Sad. It's not 8 year old "virtue signaling", it's just what they have been trained to do at this point.
beerad12man
AG
Yes, absolutely. Potentially blocking breathing ability during physical activity. Not sure what else you'd want to call it. I know most children are resilient and can likely overcome it, but kids with asthma? Kids who aren't in as good of shape or might have some issues breathing already? Yes, it can hurt them.

If you can breath the same with the mask than without it, it's fodder. I know without a doubt that it's harder for me to work out with a mask on, which is why I don't do it. Maybe children are just inhuman. Not to mention the mental aspect of this, which I don't doubt studies will come about with the lasting effects on some children.

Abso- freaking- lutely child abuse, and I have no qualms in saying that. And couldn't care less if you laugh at the absurdity.
beerad12man
AG
Aust Ag said:

amercer said:

They finally let elementary school kids in my district go do their 15 minutes of recess outside without a mask this week. I asked my kid this morning, "Was it cool, did you like it?" He said yes! I said what about the other kids,what did they say? He said they all were still wearing their masks, even though they didn't have to.

I think that is because of 2 things, either their parents told them to (but they're at school, not doing online, so I doubt this), or they are just conditioned to do it at this point. Which is what I think is going on. Why? Because when I see kids walking home or riding their bikes home after school, about 90% still have their masks on, a 1/2 mile from the school. By themselves. Sad. It's not 8 year old "virtue signaling", it's just what they have been trained to do at this point.
The mental aspect of what we've done to children this past year is disgusting to me.

We are creating social anxieties, irrational fears and behaviors. I hope I'm overreacting and we can break them out of it over the next year or so. But when you take polls, and elderly are suggesting less social anxiety over a return to normal than children and 18-25 year olds, who aren't at risk from this? That's all you need to know.

AggieSarah01
AG
Plus the WHO has said all along that masks should not be worn during exercise.
amercer
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

amercer said:

And the fact you say that like you are proud you allowed it to happen says all I need.

What you may need is a lesson in parenting.

I may think something is crazy or stupid, but I need to figure out what is best for my kid and how to best model behavior for my kids. This last year has been an unmitigated **** show for kids and the last thing they need is to see adults making asses out of themselves over things we can't control.

She desperately wants to get back to sports and school. The current restrictions on both are bat**** crazy, but me ranting about that isn't doing her any good. Every kid in the county is wearing masks for spots and none of them have dropped dead yet, so if she wants to play she gets to play.
Captain Pablo
AG
GAC06 said:

bay fan said:

Knucklesammich
amercer said:

This for me as well.

The leagues and tournaments my daughters have been have required masks for coaches, players on benches, refs and folks watching. I wear a mask because my choices are wear one and watch my kids or not. Easy choice for me, not virtue signaling when I do it.

My son's baseball league doesn't require it so most don't wear masks. That said the kids are required to mask up in the dugout and coaches/umps are required to mask up. A couple of kids have played in the field with them out in the field because they are used to them and forgot they were on.
Bonfired
AG
Aust Ag said:

Because when I see kids walking home or riding their bikes home after school, about 90% still have their masks on, a 1/2 mile from the school. By themselves. Sad. It's not 8 year old "virtue signaling", it's just what they have been trained to do at this point.

Seen a fair bit of this myself, and it makes me feel bad for the kid. It's been drilled into them at this point, and they don't want to get in trouble, which is totally understandable.

It's going to take a while to unravel this irrational fear people have. When a sizable chunk of the population thinks 50% of people who've had Covid were hospitalized, that's a huge misguided perception issue.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
amercer said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

amercer said:

What you may need is a lesson in parenting.

I may think something is crazy or stupid, but I need to figure out what is best for my kid and how to best model behavior for my kids. This last year has been an unmitigated **** show for kids and the last thing they need is to see adults making asses out of themselves over things we can't control.

She desperately wants to get back to sports and school. The current restrictions on both are bat**** crazy, but me ranting about that isn't doing her any good. Every kid in the county is wearing masks for spots and none of them have dropped dead yet, so if she wants to play she gets to play.
"Every kid in the county is wearing masks for spots and none of them have dropped dead yet, so if she wants to play she gets to play."

No they aren't Don't know where you live, but only people I have seen doing this are couple teams coming out of places like Austin, and even that has been very few.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

TexasAggie008 said:

Sorry for the rant.

I'm not triggered, but think people that do this look very dumb likely virtual signalers. Why do you care if they are judging you,. You said you didn't care, but seems you do.
Capitol Ag
AG
Aust Ag said:

amercer said:

I see this too. I asked my students why they were wearing masks walking home and that was exactly what they told me. They just forget that they are there. I get that. I think a large portion of drivers forget that they had them on as well. But what did give me hope for the future world was that, aside from one woman, no one else wore a mask to my son's classmate's 5 year old birthday party. It was at a park and we all talked about how great it was to return to some kind of normalcy. I compare it to skinny dipping in college. The first few times you meet with groups maskless, everyone feels so free and almost "naughty" if you will. I being vaccinated and also having antibodies from my January bout with Covid, have been maskless anywhere I am "allowed" to be by the businesses that do not enforce a policy. Since I and pretty much anyone who is vaccinated is no longer any real threat to spread the virus as overwhelming evidence has shown, I cannot tell you how nice it is to be able to personally put Covid in the rear view and move forward.

beerad12man
AG
nm
Capitol Ag
AG
Quote:

In TX, they haven't been wearing masks at all for the vast majority of sports. I know it's that way in other states as well. My daughter played soccer all fall without masks. Very few parents wore masks outside as well. Not sure where you are getting that "every kid" in the country is wearing them. Maybe in California and a few other states, sure. They have absolutely useless mandates requiring masks outdoors as well as indoors.

And no, no one will drop dead but you have to admit, masks in sports is unneeded and stupid. There still hasn't been a reported case of the virus spreading due to close contact in sport/in game. I agree, I wouldn't make a stink out of respect for my daughter, but I might point out the uselessness to the people running the league.
88planoAg
AG
Regarding the long term consequences for kids - 2 examples:

1. My son, junior in HS, has been in person since Aug 12. District has a choice for remote, initially 22% chose remote and now that % is much lower. But son has one friend who is absolutely terrified of covid. Won't come back to school. No health reasons that I know of. Admits to depression and feeling left out but doesn't want to die.

2. Band was supposed to turn in marching uniforms in February. Of the kids who haven't yet, just got an email from a HS senior who is totally e-learning. She hasn't been able to turn in her uniform due to anxiety. Absolutely covid related, she is too scared to come to school long enough to drop off her uniform.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.