Pregnant Wife- COVID Symptoms

1,470 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by calbrown08
calbrown08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,

My wife 30 is currently pregnant with our first. About half way done with our second trimester. She is currently experiencing fatigue, fever (99-101), chills, vomiting, and aches. These symptoms showed up yesterday morning. She took the rapid and PCR test yesterday afternoon. Both negative for COVID. I believe I have heard that even the PCR needs a few days of symptoms to show a true positive. Her OBGYN suggested Tylenol and baths. She also suggested to get tested again in a few days. The intense vomiting she experienced last night has me thinking a potential stomach bug.

Naturally we are both paranoid. Anyone experience anything similar during pregnancy this past year? I believe I have seen a few forums on healthy babies being born even with contracting COVID. Any advice is welcomed.
Fitch
AG
Not a doc, but if she's symptomatic then rapid & PCR should be coming up positive. The tests are not reliable within a few days of initial exposure, but will start to be reliably positive within a day or two before symptom presentation.
Capitol Ag
AG
Not sure where you live, but around McKinney, there's been a stomach bug going around. Also, just being pregnant causes a lot of that. I wouldn't immediately get tested. Just call your doctor today and see what they suggest. If they say get tested, get tested. I do know that while there can be covid related complications for pregnant women, so it's nothing to totally disregard, it could be a number of other things too, so get her doctors orders on how tom proceed...
Gone Camping
AG
Capitol Ag said:

Not sure where you live, but around McKinney, there's been a stomach bug going around.
This. My whole family came down with a stomach bug last week in the B/CS area, similar symptoms. My brother in law (who we haven't been around) also had it and he's in the Round Rock area. Felt bad for about 24 hours but back in the saddle pretty quickly.
bigtruckguy3500
False negatives when symptomatic aren't very common but do occur.

In regards to retesting, you could, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle and cost. There's no cure for COVID that she'd get if she tested positive. The primary utility in testing right now in an otherwise stable young adult would be so that close contacts know they've potentially been exposed. If you treat her as a potential COVID positive then just keep her at home and away from everyone else. You act as if you've potentially been exposed and keep your distance from others and wear a mask. Even if it is COVID, testing negative likely means she's not shedding a lot of virus and likely not very contagious.

That being said, if her doctor says to get tested, then I'm not her doctor and you should consider testing. Perhaps her doctor is thinking of something that I'm not thinking of, or maybe there is something new to treat pregnant women with.

rptsAg03
I would assume her OB has already explored the possibility of listeria? Not a doctor, just know that pregnant women are more susceptible to it.
calbrown08
AG
We actually live in Wylie, TX.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.