US suicides in 2020 were actually the lowest since 2015?!

3,604 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by murphyag
speck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of the concerns with lockdowns were mental health and depression. This data seems counterintuitive and goes against one of the narratives we've heard for a year. Maybe we would see something interesting in the breakdown by age group? Curious how it compares with other countries that have been much more strict about lockdowns. Italy didn't allow children outside of their backyard except for doctor visits. Chile has been on strict "allowed outside for one hour, twice a week" for an extended period.

(This says flu and pneumonia were up... also clashes with a narrative.)

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2778234
Duncan Idaho
Interesting. I wonder if "influenza and pneumonia" include or exclude "covid pneumonia"?

BBQ4Me
AG
One of the stronger variables to predict suicide is dissolution of a romantic relationship. Maybe fewer people broke up during COVID?
jamey
AG
BBQ4Me said:

One of the stronger variables to predict suicide is dissolution of a romantic relationship. Maybe fewer people broke up during COVID?

Could be, particularly people living together or married since there's a financial element to that decision to separate
jamey
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Interesting. I wonder if "influenza and pneumonia" include or exclude "covid pneumonia"?

I'm not sure how they're distinguishing but I'm pretty sure I had read actual positive influenza A and B tests were way down from previous years
Scotts Tot
AG
I guess one thing to keep in mind regarding flu is that the first 3 months of 2020 were largely unaffected by the pandemic and flu was running its normal course. By all official accounts the 2020-2021 flu season was virtually nonexistent.
Duncan Idaho
jamey said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I'm not sure how they're distinguishing but I'm pretty sure I had read actual positive influenza A and B tests were way down from previous years

Read the same thing and was why I was asking
P.U.T.U
AG
From personal experience I do not believe this one bit, especially for working age males. I know of 9 people that committed suicide and not a single Covid death of anyone under 70 with over 1000 positives (I have been working and traveling except for 3 weeks in March of 2020 when I company prohibited it). Covid tore up the elderly and sick populations but at the end of all of this I would not be surprised is more people died due to the lockdowns/loss of jobs than Covid for those under 60. Suicide, addiction, and things relating to poor mental and physical health.
ORAggieFan
A quick scan I see deaths without Covid are still making a bigger jump than any other year to year change with accidental leading the way (i.e. overdose).
Silky Johnston
I know of zero people committing suicide. Who are you hanging out with?
jenn96
AG
Drug overdoses were up considerably over 2019. So while not technically suicide, they are generally deaths of despair to some extent.

https://reason.com/2021/04/05/suicides-not-up-during-pandemic-after-all/
P.U.T.U
AG
Silky Johnston said:

I know of zero people committing suicide. Who are you hanging out with?
Most are blue collar workers from east Texas. Most of the big oil field users left and they are shutting down the mines earlier than planned so there have been over 1000 people that have lost their jobs directly.

Some of the "suicides" were drug overdoses, some may consider those an accident but if you become an addict you did that
WhoHe
AG
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/04/06/suicide-leading-cause-traumatic-death-young-patients-texas-hospital/

While this is just one hospital's experience with one age group, it does point to a concerning trend within that group.

Quote:

Suicide surpassed car wrecks and child abuse as the leading cause of traumatic death in 2020 at Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth.

The trend doctors described as 'alarming' when it emerged last year, is happening at an even more frequent rate in 2021.
jenn96
AG
I would like to see an age breakdown on 2020's suicides. In a normal year, middle-aged men make up the largest share - I want to say something like over 60%. I'd be very interested if the percentages shifted down towards younger people, especially kids.

I would also like to know what make a suicide a statistical suicide, especially in the case of drug overdoses. Leaving a note? Obviously the manner of death can tell you, but all those drug overdoses are a sign of a very unhappy population.
YouBet
AG
I'm not sure I believe the data in the OP. My own anecdotal data is not indicative of anything, but I've seen other reports like the DFW hospital that tell a different story.

Personally, we've known 1 acquaintance to die from COVID and 1 acquaintance commit suicide.
Fitch
AG
I can think of zero anecdotes of suicides within family/friend groups. Several Covid fatalities in the same set, though.

Tragedy either way.
htxag09
AG
Anecdotal evidence is fun but means nothing. Especially comparing suicide to covid deaths. Nobody, well at least I don't think anybody, is saying more people died of suicide than covid. However, the data showing that suicides dropped is what's questionable. Pretty much every data point from hospitals, etc. last year pointed to the opposite
beerad12man
AG
I don't buy this one bit. There's no logical reason to suggest they'd be down. This year has been harder for most. And yes, anecdotal experience means little. For all saying they don't know anyone. I can post anecdotally that I lost a 20 year old family member to suicide.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article250554704.html
AgDev01
AG
as noted in the Reason article linked above, while "suicides" may be down, deaths of despair had a significant rise.

Looking at the numbers in the article suicides were down ~3k or so. Accidental deaths, which includes ODs, was up almost 20k.

My guess is that quite a few of those classified as unintentional injuries were actually suicides.

Also of note is the increase of deaths relates to diabetes of almost 15%. That has to be directly attributable to people not seeking care during the lockdowns.
beerad12man
AG
Yes, good points
jenn96
AG
I think percentages matter too. If the percentage of suicides among middle-aged men dropped somewhat, say 10%, but the suicide rate among young people tripled that is a legitimate public health crisis even though the raw numbers went down. I don't know if that happened - I haven't seen an age breakdown - but it's certainly possible. And how many people didn't go that last awful step but are miserable and depressed.

GE
AG
The pandemic has introduced something external, meaningful, and difficult into people's too easy, inward-focused and boring lives. At least that's one potential explanation.
jenn96
AG
GE said:

The pandemic has introduced something external, meaningful, and difficult into people's too easy, inward-focused and boring lives. At least that's one potential explanation.
That's an interesting take. I would argue the opposite; that the lockdowns (necessary or not) exacerbated the ease, inward-focus and boredom for millions. They slipped into a 100% digital world where all social interactions become filtered through the screen, from class to work to church and socializing. It's like we took an entire civilization and said "you know all those bad habits that are making you fat, lazy, lonely and unhappy? Let's just do those and stop doing anything real."

You know how everyone (who's an adult, regardless of age) knows that texting is a terrible way to talk about anything important, since it doesn't covey nuance, tone, etc? That became the primary means of communication for millions. You know how people that you actually like in real life are morons/idiots/racists/sheep/pick-your-pejorative if you just go by their social media feeds and comments? Well in the last 12 months that's the only way we communicated with friends and family. We've fetishized safety and risk-aversion beyond parody, even while Covid itself has taken a real, genuine toll on the lives of millions of people, both from deaths and from lingering symptoms.

Obviously those are generalizations, but I don't agree that the mental-health problem with the last year is that we've challenged people too much. I think it's that we've taken far too much meaningful challenge away, be it in-person work, school or relationships, and replaced it with a cheap facsimile of zooms and social media comments. Our souls recognize the cognitive dissonance even if our brains are fine binging on Netflix and TikTok.

LawHall88
AG
Buying_time
AG
Snip from OD article. Another situation where the group the (D)ims are claiming to be helping are in reality doing more harm.

"The highest increase in mortality from opioids, predominantly driven by fentanyl, is now among Black Americans," Dr. Nora Volkow, the director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, said at a national addiction conference last week. "And when you look at mortality from methamphetamine, it's chilling to realize that the risk of dying from methamphetamine overdose is 12-fold higher among American Indians and Alaskan Natives than other groups."
tysker
AG
troy_y said:

Snip from OD article. Another situation where the group the (D)ims are claiming to be helping are in reality doing more harm.

"The highest increase in mortality from opioids, predominantly driven by fentanyl, is now among Black Americans," Dr. Nora Volkow, the director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, said at a national addiction conference last week. "And when you look at mortality from methamphetamine, it's chilling to realize that the risk of dying from methamphetamine overdose is 12-fold higher among American Indians and Alaskan Natives than other groups."

From a month ago:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2021/03/17/soaring-pandemic-alcohol-sales-causing-concern-for-doctors/?sh=b927ed025db4

I know I was drinking a lot more this summer and fall than in previous years. 'Just one more' beer before bed 'to help you sleep' adds up in calories and we know doesn't actually help you rest any better. I've been thinking that for some the increase in general alcohol consumption is directly linked to the reported increase in general weight gain during the period.
Ribbed Paultz
Ribbed Paultz
Idontbelieveyou.gif
MouthBQ98
AG
Suicide for many people requires opportunity and that requires sufficient time alone. Might seriously be inhibited when so many people are in their homes so much more of the time.

Then again, maybe all that closer human contact is having a positive effect regarding suicidal considerations. Maybe actual human interaction reduces some types of suicidal impulses.
murphyag
AG
Many people might have been happier working from home and not having to deal with long commutes. A neighbor of mine commuted more than an hour each way to work daily prior to Covid. He says he's happier and in a much better mental state just from not having to deal with the long commute everyday. I travel by plane for work trips to client sites each week. Since Covid, my work travel has only been domestic and it has honestly been a nice break from international travel. I've seen my spouse and kids more this past year than at any point in my marriage or time being a parent.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.