Has Israel exterminated covid in country using vaccines - data looks very promising

6,462 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PJYoung
GAC06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
People weren't traveling in the fall/winter of 19/20? News to me.

Was there flu in places that took less action for covid? Why didn't experts recommend masks for flu before if they can apparently wipe it out?
beerad12man
AG
So just curious. Will you be pushing for everyone to wear masks for every flu season from now on?

No other dog in this argument. Just curious on the talking points about masks helping eliminate flu. I just don't think these things are worth the lifestyle change. It's a terrible way of life to me.
Fido04
AG
I would prefer everyone get their flu shot instead.
DadHammer
AG
No
DadHammer
AG
Why worry about wether others get a flu shot?

Just get it yourself. Your problem solved.
PJYoung
AG
YouBet said:

ORAggieFan said:

YouBet said:

waitwhat? said:

ORAggieFan said:

thenational said:

I'll pass, thanks.
Does it make you feel good about yourself to take to the internet and express how you don't believe in science?

You don't have to "not believe in science" to not be interested in getting the vaccine.

I won't be getting it unless circumstances change and I become at-risk of a severe case. I also believe the vaccine works and is probably safe. I'm glad that my mom and grandma got the vaccine because they're both at risk.

All that being said, I'll pass. Thanks.
Ditto. I don't understand the objections here to this mindset. We don't know what the long-term effects are and we get contradictory information almost daily on the damn thing, so I'm simply going to give it time in the real world and see what happens.

The vaccine is probably fine, but I have no reason to get it.

Can you name any long term effects due to vaccines? How long are you going to give it time to assess? Have you taken this same approach with other vaccines?

There has been a lot of bad and changing information on Covid, but not the vaccine. That message has been it is safe and effective.
There have been examples of vaccines that later had negative impacts within the population once they were outside of controlled studies.

Going to wait at least a year.

No, but the last vaccine I got was my 10 year tetanus booster about five years ago or so(?). Known quantity.

This vaccine is not a known quantity and the delivery method is new. I'm also a low risk demographic, so I'm taking the reasonable approach to give it time in the real world. My brother is a 20 yr veteran of the pharma business and is following same protocol as me.

I suspect it's going to be fine and mRNA looks to be groundbreaking stuff but I'll let others figure that out before I need to.

It's been about a year since the first volunteers got the shot.

I got my 2nd shot in September.

Or do you mean a year since the majority of the country got it?
YouBet
AG
PJYoung said:

YouBet said:

ORAggieFan said:

YouBet said:

waitwhat? said:

ORAggieFan said:

thenational said:

I'll pass, thanks.
Does it make you feel good about yourself to take to the internet and express how you don't believe in science?

You don't have to "not believe in science" to not be interested in getting the vaccine.

I won't be getting it unless circumstances change and I become at-risk of a severe case. I also believe the vaccine works and is probably safe. I'm glad that my mom and grandma got the vaccine because they're both at risk.

All that being said, I'll pass. Thanks.
Ditto. I don't understand the objections here to this mindset. We don't know what the long-term effects are and we get contradictory information almost daily on the damn thing, so I'm simply going to give it time in the real world and see what happens.

The vaccine is probably fine, but I have no reason to get it.

Can you name any long term effects due to vaccines? How long are you going to give it time to assess? Have you taken this same approach with other vaccines?

There has been a lot of bad and changing information on Covid, but not the vaccine. That message has been it is safe and effective.
There have been examples of vaccines that later had negative impacts within the population once they were outside of controlled studies.

Going to wait at least a year.

No, but the last vaccine I got was my 10 year tetanus booster about five years ago or so(?). Known quantity.

This vaccine is not a known quantity and the delivery method is new. I'm also a low risk demographic, so I'm taking the reasonable approach to give it time in the real world. My brother is a 20 yr veteran of the pharma business and is following same protocol as me.

I suspect it's going to be fine and mRNA looks to be groundbreaking stuff but I'll let others figure that out before I need to.

It's been about a year since the first volunteers got the shot.

I got my 2nd shot in September.

Or do you mean a year since the majority of the country got it?

The latter. Would like to see some real world scale with this. However, depending on who you believe this vaccine will be moot anyway for next season. Pretty maddening.
CDub06
AG
The maddening thing about so many anti-vaxxers is that the mindset of "I personally have no reason to get it."

I am not concerned about getting COVID myself. I'm in great health. However, I got my vaccine specifically to avoid being a vector for others that are more susceptible. Whether or not I'm likely to have even moderate complications, I don't want to unknowingly transmit the virus or serve as a host for some kind of further mutation. Sure, it will protect the vulnerable individuals from hospitalization and death. But the more people we shots in, the less it will spread. That's the big idea.
beerad12man
AG
CDub06 said:

The maddening thing about so many anti-vaxxers is that the mindset of "I personally have no reason to get it."

I am not concerned about getting COVID myself. I'm in great health. However, I got my vaccine specifically to avoid being a vector for others that are more susceptible. Whether or not I'm likely to have even moderate complications, I don't want to unknowingly transmit the virus or serve as a host for some kind of further mutation. Sure, it will protect the vulnerable individuals from hospitalization and death. But the more people we shots in, the less it will spread. That's the big idea.
I get what you're saying, and I have the same mentality which is why I got vaccinated. I'm not scared of either the virus or the vaccine, but if getting the vaccine can potentially help prevent spread, it was a no brainer.

But at the end of the day, I still value freedom of choice highly, so I respect their decisions. Whether some like it or not, in the USA, they aren't put on this earth to make decisions for the greater good. It's about personal choice, and they shouldn't be forced or coerced into getting something they don't want.

In the end, it should all work out, because 60-70% of Americans are currently willing to get it. I bet another 10+% or so come around as the data comes out more and more that they are safe the next 6-9 months or so. Especially if it remains free and convenient to get, which it should. Then, out of the 10-20% that are truly anti this vaccine? My guess is, the majority of them haven't really been taking many precautions, so it's highly likely they already had it in the last year. 25-30% of the population have had this thing, and many of those took precautions. So I'd say anti vaxxers are likely to be even higher. So it wouldn't shock me if 40-50% of the anti vaxxers already had this, and generate a solid immune response to this anyways. I can see us hitting 80-85% immunity in the next 6-9 months even with 10-20% against this vaccine.

I know from a few in my circle, it's been a couple of things that keep some hesitant. A few of them already had it, so they say why? I understand where they are coming from, and yes, I know that the titer response can be even stronger with a vaccine, but I don't blame them. If you've already had it, no issues with waiting the vaccine out anyways. Let others get it. If you want to get a boost, get it, but it shouldn't be a rush for those that already have had it. And then a few are more hesitant from the timeline. This vaccine hasn't been out long enough to them, so they just want more data. I thought one was anti vaxx, but after talking with him Saturday, I get the feeling he gets one in 3-4 months. Even though I think the data is strong enough now, some just want more. Okay, no problems. Plenty are willing to get it in the meantime.

I can think of only 1 person I know in my entire friend/family inner circle that are truly, 100% anti vaccine and I don't think will ever get it. But statistically speaking, those people are so few and far in between, they won't make any difference.
ORAggieFan
I'm with you on most of that, but I don't need to respect their decision. I just respect the freedoms they have that allow it.

I also feel many of the reasons are just bad ones, other than already having it, then I'd get to the back of the line as well.

This is in large part due to the atrocious public health messaging we've had for a year. It's pretty predictable that w/in a few weeks they will begin the full on campaign that if you're vaccinated you don't transmit it, can do what you want, don't need a mask, etc. This all should have been the messaging from the beginning.
FratboyLegend
CDub06 said:

If your complaint is about the free-rider problem that has been well understood for centuries, then I don't know what to tell you.

There are hundreds of other situations where free-riders are arguably more frustrating than the COVID situation.
#CertifiedSIP
CDub06
AG
I was just commenting based on the content of this thread. There's a lot of "I have no reason to get it because I'm healthy" going on here. But there's actually a bigger reason to get it than just protecting yourself.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
You know there are plenty of cases with long term side effects due to vaccines. I'm not saying to get a vaccine or not get a vaccine but you seem knowledgeable enough to know the answer to this question.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
A local teen in Houston apparently got Gillian Barre Syndrome from the first dose just reported in the woodlands.
GAC06
AG
CDub06 said:

I was just commenting based on the content of this thread. There's a lot of "I have no reason to get it because I'm healthy" going on here. But there's actually a bigger reason to get it than just protecting yourself.

If the vaccine was less effective you'd have more of a point. People can protect themselves by getting the vaccine.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
You have never had side effects from a vaccine I assume or a close family member who has? How about not being able to walk from a flu vaccine. Myositis or worse. Happens every flu shot season. Quick to understand and slow to judge. Some folks who don't like vaccines may have actual reasons not to like them.
bigtruckguy3500
Motracicletraficificker said:

You know there are plenty of cases with long term side effects due to vaccines. I'm not saying to get a vaccine or not get a vaccine but you seem knowledgeable enough to know the answer to this question.
Hopefully diagnosed and treated quickly. Can have pretty good outcomes and relatively quick recovery if that's the case.
CDub06
AG

You have never had side effects from a vaccine I assume or a close family member who has? How about not being able to walk from a flu vaccine. Myositis or worse. Happens every flu shot season. Quick to understand and slow to judge. Some folks who don't like vaccines may have actual reasons not to like them.
I'm not discounting people that have founded concerns or have had some traumatic experience with a vaccine. I'm speaking on the people I've talked to and the ones in this very thread that won't even consider it because they're "not old or fat." We need shots in arms, whether or not you're likely to have complications from COVID. Ideally, the more susceptible would've been first in line.
beerad12man
AG
https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2021/03/05/growing-share-of-americans-say-they-plan-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-or-already-have/ps_2021-03-05_covid-19-vaccines_00-01/

It will all work out. Lets get the 70% of adults willing to get it asap. Maybe half of the 15% of the skeptical population for good measure.

Add in that anywhere from 25-40% of the remaining population that hasn't had the shot will likely have some natural immunity and move the eff on in the next 6 months. I mean, I already have, just saying hopefully society will have 100% moved on within the next 6 months.
DadHammer
AG
Right now there are more people that want the vaccine than can get it.

Stop with the "anti-vaccer" crap. Its meaningless as long as we don't have enough to take care of who wants it.

If all get the vaccine that want it don't worry about the other people. Dang man, they have rights.

If you're vaccinated its none of your business who is not.

Children are at almost zero risk, after all the olds either get covid or vaccinated this thing is over.
Duncan Idaho
Hopefully more voices like this will rise up and we can hit the needed numbers

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/05/984322992/love-your-neighbor-and-get-the-shot-white-evangelical-leaders-push-covid-vaccine
beerad12man
AG
I listen to zdogz a lot. He's a bit out there on some stuff, but a very rational voice about most of this stuff

River Bass
The vaccine is readily available in my community to whoever wants it. Why would I need to get a vaccine to protect others? They can easily protect themselves by getting their own shot. Furthermore, scientist have not yet determined if the vaccine prevents spread. Getting the vaccine may offer no protection to others.

I've already had COVID with mild symptoms. I'd rather wait for the FDA to fully approve the vaccine before I get it.

Honest questions. I have a fairly open mind.

maverick12
AG

A local teen in Houston apparently got Gillian Barre Syndrome from the first dose just reported in the woodlands.

The article I read also said that the number of cases in vaccinated individuals is basically the same as the number of cases in the general population and that it can't be linked to the vaccine.
ORAggieFan
River Bass said:

The vaccine is readily available in my community to whoever wants it. Why would I need to get a vaccine to protect others? They can easily protect themselves by getting their own shot.

I've already had COVID with mild symptoms. I'd rather wait for the FDA to fully approve the vaccine before I get it.

Honest questions. I have a fairly open mind.

The main reason, at least with other vaccines, is that not everyone can receive. Those who are immunocompromised it is unsafe. The herd immunity by everyone else limits their risk.

Now, having the antibodies already, I think is a bit different than other diseases where it's less likely (you're most likely vaccinated for measles before getting it). It's probably fine to wait and fine to get it now.
gomerschlep
AG
DadHammer said:

See for yourself.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/

If you haven't recovered from covid, get the vaccine. It is proving to be very effective.
Unless you live in the Gaza Strip. Then you're ****ed.
PJYoung
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.