Is Abbott lifting the state wide mask mandate today?

67,907 Views | 703 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Captain Pablo
pantherag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jamey said:

ORAggieFan said:

Indoor dining at 100% capacity would potentially have far worse consequences. Are restaurants choosing to limit capacity?

Ive been to numerous restaurants the last few weeks since getting 2nd dose.

A lot of restaurants have some common sense measures in place. Tables are spaced, several had some sort of guard or separator between tables that physically inhibited air flow between groups of patrons, they'd clean tables more thoroughly between customers...etc

Other restaurants have expanded their patio and there seeme to be more people choosing to eat out on the patio than before.

ETX is 100% capacity with no restrictions. Masks only being worn by those still fearful or whatever personal reason they have. ETX is in Post Covid era. The hospitals have closed the Covid floors. I'm aware of medical offices that are no longer taking temps of patients entering the office. Things are pretty well back to normal in the Sliver.
jamey
AG
pantherag said:

jamey said:

ORAggieFan said:

Indoor dining at 100% capacity would potentially have far worse consequences. Are restaurants choosing to limit capacity?

A lot of restaurants have some common sense measures in place. Tables are spaced, several had some sort of guard or separator between tables that physically inhibited air flow between groups of patrons, they'd clean tables more thoroughly between customers...etc

Other restaurants have expanded their patio and there seeme to be more people choosing to eat out on the patio than before.

ETX is 100% capacity with no restrictions. Masks only being worn by those still fearful or whatever personal reason they have. ETX is in Post Covid era. The hospitals have closed the Covid floors. I'm aware of medical offices that are no longer taking temps of patients entering the office. Things are pretty well back to normal in the Sliver.

It's 100%, no restrictions everywhere in Tx. Thats a state thing not an East Tx thing.

I'm talking about what restaurants in DFW are actually doing regardless of any state
regulations or lack thereof
pantherag
AG
jamey said:

pantherag said:

jamey said:

ORAggieFan said:

It's 100%, no restrictions everywhere in Tx. Thats a state thing not an East Tx thing.

I'm talking about what restaurants in DFW are actually doing regardless of any state
regulations or lack thereof

That's what I'm saying in my post. Reading comprehension.
Old Buffalo
AG
Javiers
Uptown bars
Knox Henderson bars
Palmers chicken
Bella Green

Literally no mandates. No spacing. Freedom.
jamey
AG
Old Buffalo said:

Javiers
Uptown bars
Knox Henderson bars
Palmers chicken
Bella Green

Literally no mandates. No spacing. Freedom.

I would not expect anything at a bar. Not much of anything can be done at a bar

But I've seen changes at

Big Fish
Local Diner
Urbano Taco
BJs Brewery
Tolbert
Coton Patch
Lupe Tortilla

None of it made a flying **** as far as "freedom" to me, thats laughable. My freedoms are not that fragile
duck79
AG
Been to several restaurants in Collin county and all have been full during peak hours with waits. I was at one last weekend where the entire staff was maskless as well. It felt great to return to normalcy.
jamey
AG
duck79 said:

Been to several restaurants in Collin county and all have been full during peak hours with waits. I was at one last weekend where the entire staff was maskless as well. It felt great to return to normalcy.

I haven't seen anywhere yet where the staff was not wearing masks.

That includes all the restaurants and a bunch of stores. Probably like 20 stores including a bunch of small independent stores
Old Buffalo
AG
jamey said:

None of it made a flying **** as far as "freedom" to me, thats laughable. My freedoms are not that fragile

"It's just a tax on tea. I don't know why everyone is up in arms. Just drink water if you don't want to pay the King's tax" - Jamey, circa 1773
duck79
AG
Petra. 380 and Stonebridge about. The only people in masks were the customers that chose to wear them.
jamey
AG
Old Buffalo said:

jamey said:

"It's just a tax on tea. I don't know why everyone is up in arms. Just drink water if you don't want to pay the King's tax" - Jamey, circa 1773

There's a tax/cost on tea. We're talking staff that's financially and in every other way, irrelevant to me
jamey
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

jamey said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

jamey said:

duck79 said:

I haven't seen anywhere yet where the staff was not wearing masks.

That includes all the restaurants and a bunch of stores. Probably like 20 stores including a bunch of small independent stores

You should probably just stay home. Safer for you. More tolerable for everyone else.

Obviously I'm going out lot. No big deal, just like everything being discussed

It's you who seem to have a problem, with monsters like masked staff...so scary, or dividers between booths at a restarant...oh the horror!!!

Get a grip

I haven't posted on this thread until now. You're wound way too tight.

Says the guy who opens up with

"You should probably just stay home. Safer for you. More tolerable for everyone else"

While missing the whole point that I've gone out a lot and it's no big deal to me.

[All, This thread will be locked if the disrespect and spiraling continues. -Staff]
GAC06
AG
In Dallas,

Town Hearth
Bob's
Hillstone
Mi Cocina
Eatzi's
The Meat Shop
Katy Trail Ice House
Maple and Motor

All at full capacity, fewer and fewer still in masks.
Teslag
AG
Parker County just to the west of DFW is no mask. The poor HEB girl doesn't even try to hand them out anymore.
Infection_Ag11
AG
It's at most 50/50 on public mask wearing in suburban Dallas these days. I'm taking the kids to Rangers opening day next week, will be interested to see how heavily it's enforced. I didn't notice much enforcement towards the end of the year at Kyle this year. Cowboys Stadium was pretty strict, though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
beerad12man
AG
Masks are awful. They suck. They are not a "minor inconvenience" to me, or many people I know. They are a complete cultural shock and an entire lifestyle change, and they need to go away asap. For one month? Okay, maybe even 2. But for an entire year, seeing our biggest spikes in the heart of mask mandates even when other areas without the mandates didn't spike, and there was no real correlation to them and the numbers? Yeah, they were a bit tough to swallow.

As for your freedoms not being that fragile. Seems like a backhanded way to attack someone else's view on life.

Maybe you and I just live life differently Jamey. That's okay.
jamey
AG
I'm just not in the camp that thinks a mask is the next step in government mind control or whatever or more than a minor inconvenience.

Agreed, agree to disagree.
Capitol Ag
AG
What I think is kind of funny is that certain retailers have been arguing that removing the mandate removed the "authority" that their employees had to enforce the mask mandate. Now that certain companies wish to keep their own mandate instated, it's more difficult for them to enforce without government teeth, so to speak. I find that argument flawed personally. To me, having worked at a gym as a trainer when the mandate was established, we viewed the mandate as an extra burden of enforcement that we should not have to bear. We were not deputized to enforce law and had regular jobs that we needed to focus on, especially given the fact that in our industry, closures forced a lot of us into holes in terms of getting clients and signing up members plus not losing the ones we already had.

To me the simple solution is for business to end their masking policies overall. If it is just now "too difficult" to enforce such a policy without the state backing it up (businesses own words), the very easy solution is just don't have one. I think eventually over the next few months with a lot of us completely safe to those around us b/c we are vaccinated, this is what we will see. Businesses right now are being reactive. They don't want to appear insensitive. But if they can just say it's impossible to enforce and still do their jobs, it gives them an out.
TxAg82
AG
If you have a job where you spend hours a day trying to communicate and talk to people they are a huge inconvenience and make the job much more difficult.
Capitol Ag
AG
jamey said:

I'm just not in the camp that thinks a mask is the next step in government mind control or whatever or more than a minor inconvenience.

Agreed, agree to disagree.

Well, you are both right. BUT, keep this in mind: No one in leadership will say the super simple words that will shut a lot of us up and that is that masks are a temporary solution that they intend to end ASAP and that they do not have any plans to keep a masking requirement or suggestion indefinitely. Again, its very simple. Instead, they either avoid the question, claim masks are "better than vaccines" or actually state that this could last into '22. So so stupid. Just be honest with us. If you are a medical official and do intend to push for public masking forever, say so. Otherwise, realize that this is the entire issue to a lot of us and just say that even though you can't give an actual date we can stop masking, we do not plan to keep these around forever and that the goal is to get to a point with vaccinations where we can stop wearing masks in public. Again, its that simple...

TL;DR: Leaders need to give us assurances that masks are not forever. They won't. Until they do, many will continue to push back against mandates whether government enforced or private business enforced.
jamey
AG
TxAg82 said:

If you have a job where you spend hours a day trying to communicate and talk to people they are a huge inconvenience and make the job much more difficult.

I wear one at my job, not 100% of the time but often
duck79
AG
The problem is we live in a sue happy world. No big business wants to be the first to leave masking up to the customer 100% and then take the chance that somebody claims they got Covid in the store due to lack of safety. At this point I really feel the continued signage is just a way for companies to protect themselves legally.
Capitol Ag
AG
duck79 said:

The problem is we live in a sue happy world. No big business wants to be the first to leave masking up to the customer 100% and then take the chance that somebody claims they got Covid in the store due to lack of safety. At this point I really feel the continued signage is just a way for companies to protect themselves legally.
Totally agree. I think what they will do is what Academy has done for instance. State that they are requiring their employees to mask to protect other employees and customers and "we ask that you consider to do the same". Pulls them out of a lot of responsibility, especially when the law in TX doesn't back them up to enforce a mandate. There are plenty of ways legally around it but also retailers fear, again, the appearance of insensitivity. So for the next few months, they will skirt that line until finally relinquishing. Once there are enough of the population vaccinated, the numbers of Covid cases will be so small that it will be hard to argue the need for a mask. Granted, many still will. I'm unfortunately convinced a portion of society will want all to mask, distance and stay in well after Covid isn't a threat.

All of this goes away with a hard stance reassurance from medical and political leadership that all of this is truly temporary.
jamey
AG
duck79 said:

I don't know whatnthe percentage is exactly, but there's also a percentage of the population that won't shop in person if a chunk of the people inside aren't wearing a mask.

So profit margins probably play a role too
duck79
AG
I don't disagree. If you say "we recommend" then you are playing to both customers.
Capitol Ag
AG
jamey said:

duck79 said:

I don't know whatnthe percentage is exactly, but there's also a percentage of the population that won't shop in person if a chunk of the people inside aren't wearing a mask.

So profit margins probably play a role too
Totally. I honestly think it's mostly about profit margins with lawsuits being a minor concern, but a concern nonetheless. The issue with a lawsuit is that it would be the first time ever that a company would be blamed legally for harm caused by a virus. There is zero precedent for such a case. The bigger issue would be the bad publicity it could cause and which again could drive customers away who are scared or who just feel that masking is important. Those supporting masking policies have made it known on social media that they plan to avoid businesses that won't enforce the policy if for nothing for the principle of it. Probably the best thing will be to let a lot of the angst regarding the ending of the statewide mandate to subside a bit and end the policy as slowly as possible over a few months.
jamey
AG
Right now it's a race between the virus and the vaccine. As long as some variant doesn't pop up and takes hold that's vaccine resistant...

And as long as it turns out there's not enough anti vaccine crowd to prevent herd immunity.....

I think this whole thing is largely over and becomes more like the annual flu at worst pretty soon
Bucketrunner
We find that we shop much less in person because we don't want to suffocate in a mask while doing so. I know we don't purchase clothing in person anymore. Having to wear an unnecessary mask will definitely make us avoid going to certain places.
Who?mikejones!
larry culpepper said:

AgsMyDude said:

JBenn06 said:

Are the masks gone?

No masks, 100% open effective next Wed.

Seems a bit early IMO.
because it is too early. More people need to be vaccinated first.

I know this isn't what people want to hear but Abbott's order could undo a lot of the progress we've made.

How's it going?
LostInLA07
AG
Don't worry, no masks, summer travel, DeSantis and Abbott will be blamed for the seasonal increase of covid beginning in mid-June in our region. It's already started in the northern US, there just aren't any red state governors to point a finger at because the increases are occurring in blue states with draconian restrictions.
beerad12man
AG
I know a lot of people are looking at graphs and seeing the seasonal trends in the NE, but I'm still not sure there will even be a seasonal increase here. We will have about 20-25% more of our population vaccinated by our "seasonal" time in June, if that is in fact correct, compared to what states like Michigan had when they began their spike recently. Michigan wouldn't see anywhere near the spike if they rolled out vaccines 2.5 to 3 months earlier, which is our timeline for June.

I mean, maybe some children spread it to one another where we don't have any of their age vaccinated, but they will end up in the hospitals at extremely low numbers. So they'll claim cases went up ever so slightly, but deaths/hospitalizations will remain really low.

By the end of May, with us are averaging 268k shots a day. On the conservative, lets say that reduced to 225,000 through the end of May, just assuming demand begins to do down a bit over the next 56 days.

In theory, that's 12,600,000 more doses. For sake of easy math, lets just divide by 2, 6.3 million 1st doses and 6.3 million 2nd doses. That would put us at 14.4 million, or 67% of adults and 50% of the population total with a single dose. All 14.4mm of this population is still roughly 80% less likely to spread it even if they don't have their 2nd dose, and 95-99% less likely to get a severe disease. And while it's 67% of all adults, it's closer to 80-85% of the high risk ages.

Then you will have 10.9 million of those 14.4 million who will have their 2nd doses. Or 51% of adults, and 37% of the population total. This population is 95% less likely to spread it, and virtually 99-100% less likely to get a severe disease

When you add in natural immunity, which would likely be about 25-30% of the remaining unvaccinated population(and maybe higher as people who are less likely to get in line to get the vaccine sometimes coincide with those that know they already had it), and factor in that much of that unvaccinated population is 0-18 years old, which again get less severe disease, are less likely to spread it, etc., I'm just not sure where the virus goes at that point. Our seasonal spike will be nothing in June.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
[Be respectful of others, please. - Staff]
beerad12man
AG
Nice condescending tone. I don't think you know my post history at all with regards to covid if you think I'm sitting around waiting to be saved.

I've been living life virtually as normal for the entire year. But that doesn't mean i can't see trends, collect data, and make my own analysis on where things stand.
aggiemike02
AG
you're assumption here is as good as your beer choice
GiveEmHellBill
AG
larry culpepper said:

AgsMyDude said:

JBenn06 said:

Are the masks gone?

No masks, 100% open effective next Wed.

Seems a bit early IMO.
because it is too early. More people need to be vaccinated first.

I know this isn't what people want to hear but Abbott's order could undo a lot of the progress we've made.
GAC06
AG
Looking at case graphs, no one can tell when masks were required or the mandate was lifted. It's almost like masks were pointless theater the whole time. Weird.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.