One year ago today TexAgs first learned about Covid

2,405 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cbr
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Crazy where we are a year later
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3090341/replies/55859454#55859454
BowSowy
AG
I swear there was a long thread about COVID back in late fall/early winter 2019 on the politics board, but I can't find it. I could be completely misremembering, though.
redcrayon
AG
BowSowy said:

I swear there was a long thread about COVID back in late fall/early winter 2019 on the politics board, but I can't find it. I could be completely misremembering, though.

Politics threads with no new posts after July 2020 are not public anymore.
Charpie
AG
And my friend on that thread that it's just the flu
Rocky Rider
AG
99.7%
Bruce Almighty
AG
BowSowy said:

That's the original thread started by Infection Ag (I think) but with the fourmn 16 purge, I think something with the thread may have gotten messed up. Or maybe the op of that thread changed their username.
BigN--00
AG
That is is the big thread. Infection Ag must of changed his user name. The second post points out the OP's username.

I didn't start paying attention to any of it until a few days later when they locked down Wuhan.

I remember looking at this site when the global number of cases was only 400 people:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
Bruce Almighty
AG
BigN--00 said:

That is is the big thread. Infection Ag must of changed his user name. The second post points out the OP's username.

I didn't start paying attention to any of it until a few days later when they locked down Wuhan.

I remember looking at this site when the global number of cases was only 400 people:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
Infection Ag didn't change his username. Either the thread got messed up somehow or the op is a different person and changed his username.
P.U.T.U
AG
A year and two weeks ago I finished the book The Jarkata Pandemic. As soon as I saw what was happening in China this guy stocked up on the goods. Guess who never had to worry about toilet paper?
Not a Bot
AG
The first I heard of it was when someone posted on here a link to a YouTube video of a hospital being built. I thought it was strange that China would need to built a new hospital so quickly. Didn't think much of it. A few weeks later...
cone
AG
It was Mr. Infectious
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I remember reading about it mid December on politics.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Charpie said:

And my friend on that thread that it's just the flu

And, Faucci said not to wear masks, and Congress didn't want to limit travel from China.
ETFan
Rocky Rider said:

99.7%
AgGrad99
AG
BowSowy said:

Yeah, it was definitely discussed in the fall of 2019. Mainly in the context of 'what's going on in China'

I dont think the search function is working, because it didnt even pull up the link in the OP for me.
PerpetualLurker
AgGrad99 said:

BowSowy said:

Yeah, it was definitely discussed in the fall of 2019. Mainly in the context of 'what's going on in China'

I dont think the search function is working, because it didnt even pull up the link in the OP for me.

Best I could find was a thread called "China has got the SARS again". Looks like it dates back at least to 1/2/2020. Could that be what you are remembering?

Found it by googling "china pneumonia site:texags.com". But that link from Google doesn't work anymore. Too bad, would be interesting to read.
AgGrad99
AG
No....China was going to crazy measures early on, and it was being discussed. I cant find any links though.
88planoAg
AG
I was watching way way early because my parents were going (and did go) to India in Feb 2020. Yes, there was a thread before the beginning of the year. By mid January I was stocking up on stuff.

I got my mom masks and hand sanitizer for Christmas last year as a joke for her trip to India.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think the dates of the thread got messed up. By 1/20, the US had its first case.
Rocky Rider
AG
ETFan said:

Rocky Rider said:

99.7%

I'm sure we can agree that any loss of life is a tragedy. With this as a given,

What's a 'thumb's up' number?

What's the cost of that number (mental health, economic, social (impact on children learning)?

The medical community deserves eleventybillion blue stars for their response to covid. Their adaptation to what worked was superb. Vaccine developed in less than 1 year, amazing.

But this is a question that must be addressed before we go through this again. The health department can never be allowed to rule the world. It's a hard question that must be addressed by strong leaders willing to make hard decisions.
buffalo chip
S
P.U.T.U said:

A year and two weeks ago I finished the book The Jarkata Pandemic. As soon as I saw what was happening in China this guy stocked up on the goods. Guess who never had to worry about toilet paper?
Username checks out, at least if said as a word...
TAMU1990
AG
ETFan said:

Rocky Rider said:

99.7%
You believe that? The CDC just changed the guidelines on what constitutes a positive case. Just in time for dear leader Biden.
TAMU1990
AG
88planoAg said:

I was watching way way early because my parents were going (and did go) to India in Feb 2020. Yes, there was a thread before the beginning of the year. By mid January I was stocking up on stuff.

I got my mom masks and hand sanitizer for Christmas last year as a joke for her trip to India.
Because of TexAgs I was stocking up too.
cbr
AG
Grim thought - how many people in the texags community have passed?

I personally recall discussing here in december of 19- i called close friends and family about it and bought 'stuff' to prepare then based on what was happening in china before they shut ALL information off.

Glad it hasnt been worse. Though it certainly has / has been used to make the world a much worse place already.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.