Another daily article about yet another new variant

1,169 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by P.U.T.U
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HTTPS://deadline.com/2021/01/another-new-covid-19-variant-in-l-a-vaccine-resistant-denmark-1234675834/

This time a researcher is claiming it could be resistant to the vaccine as there is a mutation along the spike protein. Let's just hope not.
Notacoronabro
This isn't how viruses work. A virus doesn't get more deadly over time.
bigtruckguy3500
Notacoronabro said:

Generally speaking, true. They tend to naturally select for whatever allows them to survive and propagate. If a mutation gives it an advantage in binding to cells, it can get more infectious without necessarily becoming more deadly. However a more infectious variant could kill more people due to shear numbers of infected, it in and of itself would not be a more deadly virus.

That's what happened to the UK strain.
DCAggie13y
AG
I heard an epidemiologist say quarterly vaccinations were the only way to manage COVID and all the mutations. I hope those vaccine side effects wane over time. For those with intense reactions to the vaccine, that is going to really suck.
Gilligan
AG
Thanks China!

Remember that when shopping on Amazon or at Walmart.

...or anywhere for that matter!
P.U.T.U
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Notacoronabro said:

Generally speaking, true. They tend to naturally select for whatever allows them to survive and propagate. If a mutation gives it an advantage in binding to cells, it can get more infectious without necessarily becoming more deadly. However a more infectious variant could kill more people due to shear numbers of infected, it in and of itself would not be a more deadly virus.

That's what happened to the UK strain.
I think the last two that mutated more deadly were the Russian (the strain that I believe is not the most common cold strand today) and Spanish Flu. Read about them a few months ago about the reason the Spanish flu was sold bad to 20 and 30 year olds is they they were born after the height of the Russian flu so they had no antibodies so their cases were normally worse. Those 40-50 and older had a lower death rate I believe.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.