Youth Sports

1,880 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tylercsbn9
AggieJ2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question for those of you that have kids playing youth sports through these covid times, specifically baseball/softball which are generally more distanced outdoors type sports.

If you have a player or coach who has been on the field at practice or games test positive, have you shut down team activities for a period of time or do you just continue on while the affected participants quarantine/recover.
DeangeloVickers
AG
There is a set threshold 4-5 players positive before shutting down.
Households who test positive ask for that player to quarantine.
Parents do not congregate near each other during practice.
masks are mandatory for spectators
Soccer club and other coaches/parents fill in if necessary.

Keep in mind how much rugby, soccer, football (American and Australian), etc. And the data shows how rare outdoor transmission is...
Knucklesammich
My daughters play select soccer.

Kids wear masks on the bench but optional on the field. Coaches wear masks at all times (including practice). If a player or coach tests positive they follow standard quarantine procedures.

Example the coach of my youngest daughter's team and her daughter had to quarantine 10 days because her husband tested positive in early October. As an aside they never tested positive.

My other daughter has a team mate whose mom is a family doctor and they feel very comfortable with the protocols.

As parents we considered/discussed the risks and tried to differentiate between perception and reality as best we could or at least as best as we could see it.

Most of the kids on their teams are attending school in person as well.

My son did not play t-ball this past Fall. He is starting up coach pitch in a couple/few weeks, same protocols as above.

agsalaska
AG
We started out last June with baseball and immediately had to stop for two weeks because a kid tested positive. But we were the only team in the youth league out of probably 40 teams that ever had a positive case. We played fall ball with no issues as well.

Sprayed the dugouts with some kind of disinfector between games
No after game handshakes
For the first couple of weeks the stands were closed, but they eventually opened them. Fans were encouraged to bring their own chairs and give themselves space. Those that wanted to did.

Fortunately I live in a smaller county that doesn't have any kind of outdoor mask rule, nobody wears a mask. We went thru fall ball and several Select tournaments in the fall with basically the same rules.

Youth baseball for my 9 year old and youth soccer for my 12 year old were a real relief when they started last year. I will be shocked if any of that get shut down again, at least in Texas.
Knucklesammich
agsalaska said:

We started out last June with baseball and immediately had to stop for two weeks because a kid tested positive. But we were the only team in the youth league out of probably 40 teams that ever had a positive case. We played fall ball with no issues as well.

Sprayed the dugouts with some kind of disinfector between games
No after game handshakes
For the first couple of weeks the stands were closed, but they eventually opened them. Fans were encouraged to bring their own chairs and give themselves space. Those that wanted to did.

Fortunately I live in a smaller county that doesn't have any kind of outdoor mask rule, nobody wears a mask. We went thru fall ball and several Select tournaments in the fall with basically the same rules.

Youth baseball for my 9 year old and youth soccer for my 12 year old were a real relief when they started last year. I will be shocked if any of that get shut down again, at least in Texas.

I agree, the normalcy and outlet that youth sports provide has been key during this for my kids as well.
P.U.T.U
AG
I coached 6 and under football and no mask were required, think maybe a kid or two in the league wore one during games. Same for coaches. The stands are not covered so people brought canopies and lawn chairs for the most part. On cold days people sat on the stands like normal with no mask.

I do not know the rules for soccer but we could see them playing and at least 50% had mask if not 75%, this includes the kids.

Rules have not been released for baseball yet but from what I have gathered no mask requirements for kids. Not sure about coaches but with Covid already going through at least two of the coaches houses they will probably be lax about it. With both houses none of the kids tested positive and only one of the parents.

To me asking a kid under 18 to wear a mask during sports is counter productive. Kind of feel the same for coaches for outdoor sports having to get a players attention across the field so they have to pull down the mask and then put it back on. Outdoor transmission is rare

You could see the difference in the kids attitude's once they got some normalcy back in their lives playing sports. I knew a few kids that did not play and they are much more moody than they were when they were playing a sport. Kids need other kid friends and physical challenges, holding them back does more harm than good.
jetch17
AG
My daughter had a basketball double header last Saturday. ONE girl came back this week and said she was positive. Now all three teams have to cancel their games until February....
Ag06Law
AG
Our kids play basketball, baseball, and soccer. For basketball, all adults are required to wear a mask and they have strict attendance limits.

For soccer and baseball, I think masks are recommended, but I've only ever seen a handful of people wearing them. Pretty much business as usual with those two sports, which has been very nice since sports started back up.

Haven't had any positives on our teams, but I think the procedure is to shut the team down for two weeks if a team has a positive test.
evestor1
We play soccer and baseball - our area stopped everything in spring and summer. since then very few follow any rules.

Our soccer coach wears a mask b/c his wife makes him do so.
AggieJ2002
AG
Thanks for the inputs ... We have been playing for some time here in CA, but we are constantly traveling to AZ to play in travel fastpitch tournaments due to CA rules.

It has gone well for the most part, but we've had a few positive cases over the months, and we've usually shut down for 1-2 weeks each time based on the scenario. From what I can tell we've never had spread on the field. Im trying to decide if we really need to shut down when there is one positive player or if we just need to remove that player/family for a few weeks and continue on.
ChampsAg
We played baseball at Harvey LL. No issues at that time with any coaches or kids. May - July I believe.

Coaching 10U basketball for Aggieland Homeschool currently. We have had just about every team affected at some point. Players have quarantined and then continued after their 10 - 14 days. Multiple teams have canceled games with us. My team had to cancel one game.

Depending on where we play, rules have been different. Everywhere we go fans must wear masks. Some limit fans to two per player and even one at some gyms. Players have been required to wear masks into the facility and may remove on the court. Coaches and referees are supposed to wear masks but not enforced as much as fans.

Overall I have been happy with how things have gone and feel blessed to be playing. Haven't decided if we are playing soccer but not because of Covid.
agsalaska
AG
AggieJosh2002 said:

Thanks for the inputs ... We have been playing for some time here in CA, but we are constantly traveling to AZ to play in travel fastpitch tournaments due to CA rules.

It has gone well for the most part, but we've had a few positive cases over the months, and we've usually shut down for 1-2 weeks each time based on the scenario. From what I can tell we've never had spread on the field. Im trying to decide if we really need to shut down when there is one positive player or if we just need to remove that player/family for a few weeks and continue on.
Just remove them and continue on.

And this is not to this post, but don't worry about people wearing masks outside. That's silly.
P.U.T.U
AG
agsalaska said:

AggieJosh2002 said:

Just remove them and continue on.

And this is not to this post, but don't worry about people wearing masks outside. That's silly.
That is what the football league did, quarantine those who tested positive and monitored symptoms of the rest.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Depends on if they were around the team when symptomatic. If no, we kept playing. If yes, we stopped for 2 weeks (select baseball). We had to stop 1 time.

The times we kept playing no one was impacted further.

Baseball is a sport that is very easy to distance.
falconace
My son does football, soccer, and basketball, daughter does soccer and gymnastics. Both kids are under 10 so they don't have to wear masks at school, etc.

Soccer - There was one kid whose parents sent him initially with a mask, no one else wears them and the kid would take his off about 1 minute after running on the field. That only lasted a game or two. Parents hang out on the sidelines like normal, 95% of the kids do in person school. Usually no shaking hands after the game, they line up and wave instead. Walking around the fields you'll see a few parents with a mask here or there but it isn't widespread. Feels pretty much like 2019 which is great

Football - See soccer. 50% of my son's soccer team is on his football team. They took the bleachers away so you had to bring your own chair if you wanted one

Basketball - The facility has pretty strict attendance limits (1 parent per player, no siblings, etc.). No masks required for players. Parents must mask up the entire time and the team will get a technical called on them if a parent doesn't have their mask on or is wearing it improperly. I don't know for a fact but I suspect that the refs are encouraged to not blow their whistles as much as you essentially need to commit attempted murder to get a foul this year

Gymnastics - No masks for participant, can have as many watchers as you want but they have to wear a mask if over 10.
01agtx
AG
FWIW, my daughter is a figure skater, so not a team sport but everyone is on the ice at the same time. You can only spread out so much. No masks during freestyle time and masks during group classes, but basically the same amount of people there during both times. We would really never know if another kid is diagnosed with COVID (or anything else). They'd never shut down the entire rink for 1 kid.
tylercsbn9
AG
We did tball in the summer and coach pitch in the fall. Other than no post game handshakes it was like covid wasn't thought of. Was rather nice. Never had to deal with any sort of positive case situation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.