Still no vaccine for 89 year old mom

6,198 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SVaggie84
Aries
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you go to the Health Dept's website, there is a map that shows who is a community hub & who has vaccines vs who is out. Red dots mean no vaccines available. There are way more red dots than blue.

Brookshires Pharmacy in Granbury & Joshua are listed as having vaccines available.......which seems random.
TXAGFAN
AG
Aries said:

If you go to the Health Dept's website, there is a map that shows who is a community hub & who has vaccines vs who is out. Red dots mean no vaccines available. There are way more red dots than blue.

Brookshires Pharmacy in Granbury & Joshua are listed as having vaccines available.......which seems random.

That website seems completely inaccurate.
cruzdoggie
AG
You just walk up to the entrance and they point you towards the shots or what? Seriously thinking of heading that way in a bit. Was there a large line?
TopFlightReject
TXAGFAN said:

Aries said:

That website seems completely inaccurate.
It is.. The Neighbors ER in my little po-dunk town shows 410 doses available out of the 600 received.. Called up there and they are "reserved for employees". They maybe have 50 employees.

Same with a few of the Brookshire Bros. pharmacies we called. All either reserved for employees or "already accounted for" or "the website isnt accurate we dont have any". Heard many excuses.
wbt5845
AG
This seems a good example of how one needs to approach getting the vaccine. One must be dogged and pursue any and all leads - fighting for a way to get in.

I had the URL to get the vaccine at Fair Park today. I asked the OP to email me. They never did.

Another poster shared that you could drive down to Burleson today to get it. No word on whether OP saw or acted on that.

Many seem to be flustered they cannot get the vaccine but don't seem to be trying as hard as possible. As has been pointed out by others - download every news app and set alert emails for everything related to COVID. Then be willing to hop in your car at a moment's notice and haul ass to wherever you need to go.

I got an email at 10 PM on a Saturday for my parents to register at Fair Park for the coming Monday. I woke them up to get the required info. The site was full by Sunday morning.

I got an email for myself at 11 PM on a Wednesday to show up in Arlington at 8 AM Thursday for my shot. I was there.

If is important, make it important.
2wealfth Man
AG
Ag06Law said:

bigtruckguy3500 said:

Just a little bit longer and the Johnson & Johnson vaccine should be up for approval, and likely authorization. That vaccine should require the least amount of special handling. I don't think it even needs to be frozen, just refrigerated. Should make it substantially easier to get to rural areas in larger numbers, and deliver to small clinics in the communities to get to their patients.

It may also actually be just a single dose? Can't remember. Things will get better soon.

Yes, J&J is a single dose.
Jury still out on efficacy. They are running a one and two dose trial IIRC. Hope one dose proves to work as advertised!
TopFlightReject
Lol. You can call me a lot of things... but lazy isn't one of them.

I have been scoping Cleveland Emergency Hospitals website for the past few days because they are listed as a hub and they were supposed to be getting 975 doses sometime this week. They opened up the phone lines at noon today for registration. I was prepared and had 3 of us on different phones all calling in to get my parents an appt. made it to caller no 2 four different times and would get disconnected. Finally got in around 12:45 and spoke to someone and got my parents on the list for 1st dose of Pfizer vaccine on Monday.

Again.. some people are hoping it falls in their lap.. but some of us are dogged and persistent and tired of hearing about our great mayor and his entourage of idiots waltzing to the front of the line for their shot.
cruzdoggie
AG
cruzdoggie said:

You just walk up to the entrance and they point you towards the shots or what? Seriously thinking of heading that way in a bit. Was there a large line?
I just got back from Burleson. They were told last night to not administer any doses without an appointment. Thanks anyways for the lead.
SVaggie84
AG
Tried emailing you, but it failed.

We can't do last minute appointments. I live in Arkansas. My mom can't drive much, so have to coordinate. The other relatives work, have kids, and/or travel a lot.

I've been told she should not be by herself after getting the vaccine.

We are helping my daughter move this week, so I am limited by that this week.

wbt5845
AG
My post sounded more judgemental than it should have. Sorry.

Yeah, if one cannot do last minute adjustments, your options are going to be limited accordingly. It's unfortunate, but for right now, getting the elderly taken care of is going to require some proactive movement on the part of their families.
SVaggie84
AG
The most frustrating one was actually getting an appointment at Kroger's. Then when I called them to get info, they said she couldn't go because they were only gibing it to healthcare workers. (It was after 1B was allowed.)

When I signed her up for the county, I assumed they'd be calling back (or emailing) within a few days to set the appointment for some future date.

The Shank Ag
cruzdoggie said:

cruzdoggie said:

I just got back from Burleson. They were told last night to not administer any doses without an appointment. Thanks anyways for the lead.

Sorry man, my wife was told the same after arriving today
OaklandAg06
AG
It's not close by Dallas but you might try heading to Amarillo:
https://amarilloalerts.com/vaccine

Looks like if they have vaccine on hand it's first come first serve and according to the map they have doses
duck79
AG
oldflyer said:

I got my first a little over a week ago. I signed up on Walgreen's wait list and got it immediately in Collin County.

Do you mind telling me which Walgreens in Collin? My parents signed up early(6k and 7800). They finally got a message yesterday snd tried calling for 15 min to get an appointment. Once they got thru they were told they were all taken.
BwdAg
AG
I have an 87 and 82 yo mom in Waller county. Only county option is brookshires bro. I have them signed up on list from Houston to Austin to bccs to Waco but no luck thus far.

I saw mention on this thread to sign up for a push list on local tv station websites. I am not finding that option on Houston. Any insight on where that push website might be. Thanks
buffalo chip
S
BwdAg said:

I have an 87 and 82 yo mom in Waller county. Only county option is brookshires bro. I have them signed up on list from Houston to Austin to bccs to Waco but no luck thus far.

I saw mention on this thread to sign up for a push list on local tv station websites. I am not finding that option on Houston. Any insight on where that push website might be. Thanks
The KHOU app worked for me. I have also heard that the KPRC app worked for others.
duck79
AG
I mentioned earlier that my mom was 6100 in Collin county. She got a text on Tuesday that she was up but by the time she got thru to schedule an appointment they were done. Now they are no longer reading that she is in line and was told to re-register. She is now over 150k and obviously extremely frustrated.
wbt5845
AG
duck79 said:

I mentioned earlier that my mom was 6100 in Collin county. She got a text on Tuesday that she was up but by the team she got thru to schedule an appointment they were done. Now they are no longer reading that she is in line and was told to re-register. She is now over 150k and obviously extremely frustrated.
Wow, that is very frustrating. That's like "I'd contact the newspaper 'cause it sounds like a good story" frustrating.
duck79
AG
She wrote in to the mayor and this is the response I got from her today.

Wrote the McKinney mayor's office last night in frustration about losing my place in line. Expected nothing. He wrote me back first thing this morning and said he wouldook into it. 10 minutes later I received automated call stating my place in line. It had been restored to my original number. Then I got a call from Allen FD and worked for 20 minutes to get a ticket before being told all places were taken. Hate to gripe but for me so far, this has been the frustrating of the pandemic
aggiechick
Same thing happened to my mom. I followed your mom's actions and emailed the mayors of McKinney and Plano. Her place was restored back in line although we can't find her on the lookup.
We have been trying to get in anywhere but it's like trying to get concert tickets. Very frustrating.
SVaggie84
AG
My mom is literally finally getting her shot right now.

Today, my niece found out about the following website and took my mom.

https://app.blockitnow.com/consumer/codc19vaccine

I'm so thankful for my niece's efforts!
SVaggie84
AG
Spoke too soon. After going to appointment and waiting several hours, they turned her away.
Tabasco
AG
Whatttt!!!!!!

What reason did they give?
SVaggie84
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/dallas-opens-covid-19-vaccine-mega-site-at-convention-center-by-appointment-only/2536217/%3famp
SVaggie84
AG
My mom just got the vaccine today.

A friend of my niece works for the county and saw my niece ranting about the problem getting the vaccine.

Somehow the friend got my mom an appointment.

She's finally been vacinated!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.