Still no vaccine for 89 year old mom

6,194 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SVaggie84
SVaggie84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have had zero luck getting my 89 year old mom in Dallas the vaccine.

I've signed her up through the county. I've messaged her doctor. I've called pharmacies, and nothing.

What is frustrating is my 24 year old daughter got the vaccine through UT Southwestern, but my mom isn't a patient so she can't get it.
RockwallAg99
AG
Frustrating. This whole thing is a cluster.

Have you tried Denton and Tarrant counties?

You don't have to be a resident of the county you register in. One of my coworkers is a Collin county resident but got the vaccine in Tarrant county last week.
culdeus
AG
Tarrant county is easier to work with and is doing some Dallas Co.. Also call Dallas, they are offering walkups to 75+ that meet certain conditions, but you need to find out what days they are doing them and what those conditions are.
Aries
Not to be mean but if the facility isn't a community hub, especially a medical facility, they aren't going to give a non-patient the vaccine at this point. This is what we are trying to figure out at my facility. When/IF we do get the vaccine to start administering to patients, how do we do this? I feel for these facilities that are getting dragged through the mud because people that aren't even patients at these places are angry that they can't just walk up & get it.

That isn't how it works.
gooberhead
AG
I can't get my 89 yo mom signed up either. Houston area. PCP barely answers phone, affiliated hospital (Kingwood) isn't doing any. Nothing through county, city health etc...
Can't find any pharmacy that has vaccine.

Just a total cf
SVaggie84
AG
UT Southwestern is supposed to be a community hub
Nate09
AG
Aries said:

Not to be mean but if the facility isn't a community hub, especially a medical facility, they aren't going to give a non-patient the vaccine at this point. This is what we are trying to figure out at my facility. When/IF we do get the vaccine to start administering to patients, how do we do this? I feel for these facilities that are getting dragged through the mud because people that aren't even patients at these places are angry that they can't just walk up & get it.

That isn't how it works.
If there's an 89 year old who wants a dose, there shouldn't be a difference who is providing it.
2wealfth Man
AG
Public health officials have f'ed this whole thing up....from lock downs until now.
SVaggie84
AG
And it makes me mad that my 24 year old daughter with a relative minor "pre-existing condition" is getting it before my 89 year old mom who has high blood pressure and recently had a stroke.

I thought they were supposed to prioritize them.
Ag06Law
AG
SVaggie84 said:

And it makes me mad that my 24 year old daughter with a relative minor "pre-existing condition" is getting it before my 89 year old mom who has high blood pressure and recently had a stroke.

I thought they were supposed to prioritize them.

I really don't know that there's any way to do that in an efficient and cost-effective manner. You would have to basically have panels dedicated to reviewing individual cases and making judgment calls on who needs it more. This would slow the process down even more, not to mention the issue of who you get to make theses decisions. It's much more efficient, unfortunately, to just make sure people meet one of the criteria set by the state and just stop asking questions at that point.
buffalo chip
S
My 91 YO MIL is in a senior care facility. Last week, the facility arranged for CVS to administer the vaccine to every resident. The State of Texas set aside over 100,000 doses to take care of senior care facilities.

With regard to getting the vaccine outside of those mentioned above, I had very little luck (as in zero) chasing the vaccine on public/private hubs and pharmacies for 2 people in the 1B group (65+). At noon on Friday I downloaded a local news channel's app onto my phone and set it to allow push notifications. About 7 PM I received a push notification about vaccine availability at one of the community hubs. I accessed that hub on the internet, successfully arranged two appointments and had the vaccine administered the next morning at the public vaccine site.

So, wherever you are, download one or more apps from local news channels and set them to accept push notifications. Be ready to move quickly when you are notified, because these programs fill up within minutes for programs delivering a couple to several thousand doses.
AustinAg2K
Honestly, I think people just need to be patient. If you sign up with Tarrant County today, I bet you'll get an appointment next month. I realize a month may sound a long way away, but we've been dealing with it for 10 months, so what's another month? I think it would be a lot less stress for people if they just sign up with their country and then wait for a call.
wbt5845
AG
Send me an email to my username AT Yahoo DOT com. I'll forward you something.
GAC06
AG
Parkland supposedly did 2400 walk ups last weekend
Marauder Blue 6
AG
The links on the right side of this website show who has received or is scheduled to receive vaccine allocations every week. The vaccine allocations are updated every Tuesday morning. The hub providers are in the first section and the additional providers are in the second section. Everything is sorted by county and then cities within the county.

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/immunize/vaccine.aspx
TopFlightReject
buffalo chip said:

So, wherever you are, download one or more apps from local news channels and set them to accept push notifications. Be ready to move quickly when you are notified, because these programs fill up within minutes for programs delivering a couple to several thousand doses.

I've done that for a few of the local news channels here in houston trying to get my 65+ parents signed up. Got the push notification that galveston county released appts through a 3rd party website at 1:30pm today. I logged on at 1:32. The website didnt work (go figure - it was overloaded) and the phones were jammed. By 1:45 the website crashed for me and no appts left available.

Also - to the person above who was defending the facilities giving it to their established patients... MH is listed as a community hub on the DSHS website but their website makes it clear they are only giving vaccines to established patients by email invite only.. now tell me how that is acceptable while being listed as a state vaccine hub?
Aries
They are a community hub. I didn't know UTSW's status.

My work is not a community hub & people from all over are calling & want to get the shot from us. We don't have anymore.
Windy City Ag
AG
Not to frustrate you, but I spoke to the daughter of my neighbor regarding the recent Fair Park innoculations as soon as they were announced. My neighbor is 85 and late into Alzheimers and I am always getting calls to help out with this or that.

She picked him up immediately, drove over, and was able to get the vaccine that day. Probably a one-off but keep trying. Call any and all city folks.
Fan
S
My mom is also 89. She's in NJ, but isn't having any luck either. Meanwhile, my 54year old sister has been vaccinated because she does the accounting at a dentist's office.
BCR
95 year old dad was told 3-4 weeks.
Post removed:
by user
oldflyer
AG
I got my first a little over a week ago. I signed up on Walgreen's wait list and got it immediately in Collin County.
gigemags87
AG
My parents both over 80 just got appts for tomorrow (Wednesday) at the Fair Park hub. They've been on the Dallas, Denton and Collin lists for a long time. Hang in there.
jakester03
AG
I put my in-laws on the travis county hub waitlist last week. They got an appointment for 2:30 today. Fingers crossed your loved ones get it soon!
Theblondewonder
AG
A tip for getting the vaccine: I inquired about the vaccine on my husband's behalf a few weeks ago in the MyChart app. Today I see a notification stating an order has been placed to schedule the first dose at Baylor (he's a patient there). He's now scheduled for next Tuesday morning! This is probably going to be the best bet for getting a slot sooner rather than later.
amercer
AG
My parents (70) were able to get it this weekend at the mall in San Angelo, which I assume is a county site. The had been on a list at HEB for a couple weeks but it didn't seem like they were being supplied.
ETFan
gooberhead said:

I can't get my 89 yo mom signed up either. Houston area. PCP barely answers phone, affiliated hospital (Kingwood) isn't doing any. Nothing through county, city health etc...
Can't find any pharmacy that has vaccine.

Just a total cf
To be fair to your PCP (may be different, I understand), but we got swamped by calls as soon as that first list of "these places got a shipment of vaccines" list went out. Swamped as in people couldn't get through on our phone system and we had to completely re-design the flow of our call answering system, swamped.

We're still swamped and still get angry, curse out the nurse/receptionist, patients demanding we give them the vaccine or get our act straight, calls daily, but it's getting better as people realize what a cluster the rollout has been and that we don't control the flow vaccines to our clinic.

I hope you're well on your way to getting her on a list or scheduled OP, best of luck!
TXAGFAN
AG
GAC06 said:

Parkland supposedly did 2400 walk ups last weekend
People showed up at like 2 in the morning I heard...
SVaggie84
AG
I tried signing her up for the mychartapp, but I don't know her social security number. I'm going to Dallas on Thursday, so I'll talk to her then.

They should be calling seniors and scheduling them. She can't do anything with apps or websites.

Jason86
AG
Fan said:

My mom is also 89. She's in NJ, but isn't having any luck either. Meanwhile, my 54year old sister has been vaccinated because she does the accounting at a dentist's office.

Meanwhile, a practicing dentist in Texas can't get the vaccine. Love the distribution so far.
bigtruckguy3500
Just a little bit longer and the Johnson & Johnson vaccine should be up for approval, and likely authorization. That vaccine should require the least amount of special handling. I don't think it even needs to be frozen, just refrigerated. Should make it substantially easier to get to rural areas in larger numbers, and deliver to small clinics in the communities to get to their patients.

It may also actually be just a single dose? Can't remember. Things will get better soon.
AggieBiker
AG
So I looked at the website above for the vaccine distribution numbers for this week, week 6. Dallas county received about 36,000 doses. The county population is 2,640,000. People aged 65+ make up 11% of the population.

At the 36k doses rate it would take 8 weeks to give one dose to every 65+ aged person and 16 weeks to give the required two doses if only seniors received the vaccine so we are talking mid May to get all of that group vaccinated if supply remained stagnant. Now all of that population will not get the vaccine and all the vaccine supply will not go only to that population but you get the gist. So right now, we are barely creeping up the mountain.

Expand that process to the entire county population and we will get everyone the vaccine in about two years and 10 months. Now we know everyone will not get the vaccine but at only 50% it would take a year and 5 months. So we won't make much progress until the production and distribution process ramps up to about 5-10 times what it is now. Patience and continued caution seems to be immediate to long term need with this vaccine distribution.

Ag06Law
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Just a little bit longer and the Johnson & Johnson vaccine should be up for approval, and likely authorization. That vaccine should require the least amount of special handling. I don't think it even needs to be frozen, just refrigerated. Should make it substantially easier to get to rural areas in larger numbers, and deliver to small clinics in the communities to get to their patients.

It may also actually be just a single dose? Can't remember. Things will get better soon.

Yes, J&J is a single dose.
SVaggie84
AG
Also, I'm not mad at my daughter. She's been the one giving me advice on who to call. She told me about the county site and how to register. (Why my mom's doctor didn't give me that info, I don't know)

She's the one that td me to call UT Southwestern.

She's being very helpful. I'm glad she got the vaccine.
The Shank Ag
Hugeley hospital in burleson is doing walk ups from 1-5 this afternoon (and the past two days). My parents, sister, brother in law, and aunt all got it there. No requirements on age or condition.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.