How did you get covid?

6,819 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by proc
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Back in July, had a meeting with a Co worker. Her Kid at daycare came home with cough, no other symptoms. 2 days later they shut daycare down for covid employee case..

She had no symptoms other than a light runny nose... nothing to miss work over. We had a meeting where we had to hang zip code maps and review territories.

3 days later she lost taste/smell and was home awaiting test results which took 4-5 days at the time, meanwhile i started feeling congestion then lost taste smell. I Got tested same day her test results came back positive.
ToddyHill
AG
I can tell you the exact day I got infected: Tuesday, April 28. I had a meet and greet with our new maintenance manager. We talked for about 15-20 minutes, were in close proximity to each other, and neither of us were wearing masks (at that time our company said you had to wear masks on the production floor, but not in the offices). I find out he spiked a fever on that Thursday, so I stayed out of work on Friday. Spiked a fever on Saturday, got tested at the health department, and was confirmed positive on May 4.
itsyourboypookie
Think I got it from a skank that I went on a date with
VaultingChemist
AG

I sent this private message to Pelayo on Dec. 15, which was most likely the day he was infected with Covid.....
Quote:

VaultingChemist

10:06a, 12/15/20
I thought you might be interested in my family's experience with COVID-19. I, my wife, and my daughter all caught it at a small birthday party for my wife (all family and coworkers). At a table of 8 people, 7 came down with symptoms. I had fever for 12 days, of which the last four were pretty brutal but only a slight cough for a day. My wife was only sick for 5 days and my daughter was sick for 7 days (she is the only one to lose her taste and smell). None of us had shortness of breath, but we all had slight gastrointestinal problems. My wife and I are both over 60 years old, and slightly overweight.

Of the other 4 people at the table, only one had severe complications.....pneumonia which caused him to be hospitalized for a week (overweight male in early 40's with diabetes). He is recovering but has lost a lot of his strength and stamina.

My 21-year-old great niece contracted it from her boyfriend who works at Walmart. They both recovered in a few days.

My 50-year-old brother-in-law, a pharmacist in good health, was hospitalized for 7 days with shortness of breath and a bad cough. He is still on supplemental oxygen at home.

As a side note, almost all the teaching staff in our school district have had Covid. One person, a cancer survivor in her late 60's, passed away from it.
It is not a coincidence that I was moved to send this to Pelayo after not messaging him since May.
Counterpoint
AG
VaultingChemist said:

I sent this private message to Pelayo on Dec. 15, which was most likely the day he was infected with Covid.....
Quote:

VaultingChemist

10:06a, 12/15/20
I thought you might be interested in my family's experience with COVID-19. I, my wife, and my daughter all caught it at a small birthday party for my wife (all family and coworkers). At a table of 8 people, 7 came down with symptoms. I had fever for 12 days, of which the last four were pretty brutal but only a slight cough for a day. My wife was only sick for 5 days and my daughter was sick for 7 days (she is the only one to lose her taste and smell). None of us had shortness of breath, but we all had slight gastrointestinal problems. My wife and I are both over 60 years old, and slightly overweight.

Of the other 4 people at the table, only one had severe complications.....pneumonia which caused him to be hospitalized for a week (overweight male in early 40's with diabetes). He is recovering but has lost a lot of his strength and stamina.

My 21-year-old great niece contracted it from her boyfriend who works at Walmart. They both recovered in a few days.

My 50-year-old brother-in-law, a pharmacist in good health, was hospitalized for 7 days with shortness of breath and a bad cough. He is still on supplemental oxygen at home.

As a side note, almost all the teaching staff in our school district have had Covid. One person, a cancer survivor in her late 60's, passed away from it.
It is not a coincidence that I was moved to send this to Pelayo after not messaging him since May.
Thanks for sharing this. Man, someone at that party gave your wife and family a horrible birthday present!
VaultingChemist
AG
Thanks. I thought you might be interested in Pelayo's reply..........I blanked out some of the personal information

Quote:

Pelayo

2:43p, 12/15/20
Wow! I am sorry to hear of the teachers passing and am glad your family has made it through. I have two of my physician assistants out, one ** *********who is on day 8, miserable but making it. I was able to get him the Bamlanivimab at an area hospital on day two or three of his illness, ** year healthy fit ***** ********* was sick for about 7 days then continued training for a marathon day 7 and ended up hospitalized and is on home oxygen.

It is a very weird entity. I've sat next to an infected PA for four hours two to three feet apart and didn't catch it, plus interacting with lots of sick patients. It seems some catch it easier, some suffer different constellation of symptoms, and of course severity.

Extra weight and age seem to be the top two risk followed by diabetes then lung disease.

I hope we get the vaccine really, really soon.

Thank you again

John Gomez '95
Man, I sure wish John had been able to get the vaccine.
hadynphil
Yeah, diabetes + COVID is a pretty bad combination. I have diabetes, so I am pretty scared about getting COVID.. I often get some rybelsus Online which helps me pretty well. I heard that type 2 can be reversed, so I am optimistic..
Capitol Ag
AG
Had it week before last. Symptoms most apparent on January 14 and 15th. But I must have been asymptomatic before that as my training partner who I trained with Wednesday showed symptoms by Sunday (fever, exhaustion etc) and my wife and kiddos got fevers that Saturday night.
I never had fever. Just exhausted and lost a slight amount of taste and smell. Got most of it back by the end of the next week. Wife was hit a little harder but back now and kiddos had only a slight fever for a few days. My 5 year old actually tested positive for strep as well, and that was only thing he took meds for. Blessed that it was a mild case for all of us. Even my training partner is almost recovered fully and while his wife and kids tested positive, only real symptom was his wife lost taste and smell.

How I got it? No idea. Probably middle school where I work but I also do not stay home. I shop, eat out occasionally and otherwise live life so it's possible I got it anywhere. Went to HS playoff games as well though we were outside and distanced and doubt that was it. But you never know.
I took a lot of Zinc (I just take it and have since the pandemic started plus have taken it for years per doctor's advice as I take an immunosuppressant) and ramped it up with Vit D, melatonin and C on Dr. Reveille's advice once I got the kids' tests back. But by then I felt a ton better. The doctor credited the zinc and being in great shape with why my case MAY have been minor. I did test positive once I got tested.

Thant's my thankfully boring story. Seems that of all the people I know who have had Covid, this tends to be the normal situation. So the biggest thing I can say is do not panic or freak out. Just listen to your body and be proactive with things like Zinc, Vit D and C and melatonin. And if you can, start becoming physically fit. Even if joining a gym seems a risk, I feel the reward ultimately outweighs that. Or build one in your garage like I did but that took months and isn't cheap due to availability right now.

Next comments are my ramblings. TLDR if you don't care:

What I find interesting is that I never stopped training. Even hit a PR that Friday the 15th. I was tired but pushed though it. Then I read about some athletes having complications and even above in Pelayo's post he mentioned a marathon runner who went back to training too early it seems and had some complications. But one thing I have noticed is that in almost every case it is a marathoner, triathlete or person doing a cardio based training (running etc). All anecdotal and obviously the studies just are not there to be able to know if in fact the training stimulus actually caused the complication or it was just coincidence nor if the type of training was at all a factor. But again, I was lucky. I will say that I focus mostly on weights. I'm lean and lose weight easily plus feel that cardio doesn't really burn THAT much body fat anyway. In fact, it can inhibit muscle growth and overall strength if done too much. So as a skinny kid, I've always valued size and strength over cardiovascular fitness as I seem tom get enough in my regular weight training. And the nice part of weight training is when you are tired, you can put the weights down and take a 3-5 min rest. Cardio and running tend to be a different type of trained muscle (slow vs fast twitch) and involve a constant rate of energy spent vs lifting that is fast twitch and force driven. Might that be a factor? It'll be interesting to see how this truly effects athletes going forward with more studies. I know the B1G tried to claim the myocarditis card (until tOSU was possibly playoff eligible and that all went out the window, lol) , and of all the college or pro athletes out there who got Covid, I do not know of any confirmed cases of myocarditis nor any major complications with training after infection especially since they are tested and watched so that could be a great place to start a study. /end of ramblings....
ReloadAg
AG
We've taken basically zero precautions since March of last year and we've all been fine. Sure we put on our mask to go into a store or sit down at a restaurant but that's literally it. I think it's just a crap shoot.
cc_ag92
AG
I agree with the crapshoot part of that statement.

Our 19yo had it. We actually saw her both days prior to symptoms/diagnosis, rode in a car with her, sat down to dinner with her at a smallish table. My dad sat next to her.

None of us got it. It was so random and crazy.

OTOH, one person at my husband's office came to work with symptoms, "just a cold," he thought. A week later, eight people have been diagnosed, all with symptoms. Granted, they never wore masks, but they also didn't ride in vehicles together or sit down for a lengthy meal together.

It's a crapshoot for sure.
JaneDoe02
AG
I got COVID Christmas Day at my grandparents house. One of my cousins has 5 kids and a couple of them were sick but they came anyway and didn't tell anyone. My 93&92 y/o grandparents got it too. A few more people that were there got sick within a week but didn't get tested. Also my grandparents caregiver caught it from them.

Crazy though my husband and son didn't get it either at Christmas or from me later. We separated once I got a positive result but there were a few days when I was surely contagious and we were together.
Counterpoint
AG
JaneDoe02 said:

I got COVID Christmas Day at my grandparents house. One of my cousins has 5 kids and a couple of them were sick but they came anyway and didn't tell anyone. My 93&92 y/o grandparents got it too. A few more people that were there got sick within a week but didn't get tested. Also my grandparents caregiver caught it from them.

Crazy though my husband and son didn't get it either at Christmas or from me later. We separated once I got a positive result but there were a few days when I was surely contagious and we were together.

Are your grandparents okay?
JaneDoe02
AG
Thanks for asking

They're mostly past it. They had cough, diarrhea, and fatigue mostly but O2 sats were ok through the whole thing. (Praise the Lord!)

My grandmother had a stroke several years ago and is in a wheelchair and diapers and dealing with her having diarrhea was the worst part for them. But overall we were very lucky. Could have been very bad.

The irony is we talked about whether or not we should even "have Christmas" and my grandpa is the one who insisted that we carry on as usual.
88planoAg
AG
That is great news. Such a personal decision since there is no telling how many Christmases they have left.
proc
AG
Got it from my wife in November, who apparently got it from chatting up one of her female coworkers. They were a masks off business.

How did I know I got it? When my wife started having sinus problems and then lost her sense of smell and taste, I went to get tested.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.