How did you get covid?

6,861 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by proc
BlackLab
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of you that already got it, do you know how? Anything you'd do different if you could go back? Figured it would be good to learn potential situations to avoid or a reminder on how to not let our guard down. Generally curious because I still don't personally know anyone that got it but the numbers are so high now. Thanks.
AggieAuditor
AG
Interested to see the replies here. This virus seems to spread so easily and then at the same time I have several neighbors who had one or more in their household get it but the others didn't. And for the most part, no special isolation in the house.
SpringAg92
I have been concerned so have not been out and about and have been very careful. I have been to work, some doctors appointments and only pick up curbside.

I'm a teacher (Houston area) and fairly certain I contracted it at school as we had about 15 teachers test positive after Thanksgiving.

We are not allowed to interact with one another, eat with each other or even be in another teachers room. I know folks are saying younger children will not pass it to us, but most of us believe that is what happened.

A few mild cases, a couple were serious, but most were moderate. A handful passed it to family members who ended up in the hospital.

I went to the hospital December 12th and tested positive. I still have not fully recovered. A couple of teachers who tested positive December 1st are still dealing with issues as well.

I don't think I could have done anything differently. There is no social distancing in my classroom. I teach art. 25,26,27 kids in my classes.

I'm 50 and will be getting the vaccine as soon as I am eligible.
hoosierAG
AG
No clue how I got it. No close contact with anyone but my wife and son, mask up anytime I go out. Go to work everyday but strict protocols and not within 6 ft of anyone. No one at work had it anyways at the time frame (unless asymptomatic). Picked up fast food a couple times and went to Barnes and Nobles. Guess I'm one of the rare picked it up form a surface?

My wife and son never got it though, go figure.
JHS-Ag
Kid was exposed at daycare. 3 out of the 4 of us have it now.
ChampsAg
We were at a basketball tournament Nov 20 and tested positive Dec 2. That's our best guess because not a lot of people were wearing masks and the common area was very small.
TXTransplant
I don't know for sure. The only positive cases I'm aware of from the time I was likely infected were at work. But I was not a "close contact" of anyone else who tested positive.

I think it's possible I got it from something (an object) that was passed around the office, but that wasn't a factor as far as work was concerned. Only close contacts are considered.

I had some close contacts both at work and my personal life in the days leading up to the onset of my symptoms, and none of them got it from me.

My teenaged son didn't even get it. We tried to stay apart, but I didn't isolate, and we both used the kitchen.

So, this virus is so contagious that I don't even know how I got it, yet I managed to not transmit it to anyone, including my own child. It's a crazy illness, that's for sure.

I had my first official symptom on Dec 3 and tested positive on the 5. Based on various factors, I'm pretty sure I contracted it after Thanksgiving - either that weekend after, or Mon/Tues back at work.
TXTransplant
ChampsAg said:

We were at a basketball tournament Nov 20 and tested positive Dec 2. That's our best guess because not a lot of people were wearing masks and the common area was very small.

That's a long time between exposure and symptoms (assuming you weren't symptomatic for too long before you were tested).
SunrayAg
AG
Sitting at church one Sunday morning in July. Socially distanced with skip rows in front and behind.

One old guy walked down our row and leaned right down in our faces for the "HELLOOOOOOOOOO STRAAAANGEEEERS" bit that annoying people do when you have been away from church for a few weeks. Then he asked me a question about work. Then he stood back up straight and walked off to talk to other people. A 15 to 20 second conversation with a close talker who didn't start feeling sick until Tuesday. Me, my wife, and 8 or 10 others in our church got it that day.
Dad
AG
I haven't had it but it has spread to a bunch of family members.

My brother got it from his GF and spread it to my parents at their home. One nephew got it partying in New Orleans early in the pandemic. Another nephew is a teacher and got it at work from another teacher or a student during an outbreak at the school. My sister got it on Christmas Eve from a brother-in-law on her husband's side of the family that showed up with symptoms but thought it was "allergies".
ChampsAg
I have thought about that many times myself.

Started showing signs of what I thought was a sinus infection on the following Tuesday (11/24). Barely made it through the next few days due to fatigue. No fever but if I recall correctly I had lost my smell. The following Tuesday, my two sisters-in-law felt horrible, headache and nausea. One went to get tested that afternoon and was positive so my wife went since she had been experiencing a headache. After her positive test I went and got tested that evening and was positive.

That Thursday I had the infusion treatment at Methodist in Houston and felt 100% better by Friday evening.

My son then popped a fever Sunday night and was wimpy Monday but no other symptoms.
NASAg03
Probably got it at the dancehall or a bar. I've been going to them regularly since everything reopened in June. Most of my friends at those places have had it. Seems like at least 50% of friends I've talked to.

Was around 7 people when I started having symptoms, including my 70 year old mom. Thought it was food poisoning at first. Isolated after the tell tell signs started showing up and tested positive a few days after that.

Wouldn't change a thing. 2 weeks feeling like **** is worth it vs living paranoid and alone for a year.

Actually I would probably go to a covid party to get it and be done ASAP if I had it to do again.
TX04Aggie
AG
Don't know, don't really care to be honest. Got it over with as have most everyone in my friends and family circles and they include people who didn't really leave the house, to people who didn't think covid was a big deal.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I likely got it from one of my snot nosed bratty middle school students.
TAMC11
AG
Got it from my wife who got it at work. Or I got it and gave it to my wife and she spread it at work. Who the hell knows? Just glad I got it over with.
cc_ag92
AG
19yo daughter most likely caught it at work. She worked at Cracker Barrel retail with lots of non-masking customers. Either that or the dining hall. None of her close contacts tested positive so we don't think she got it from them.

An acquaintance caught it from their outdoor photographer they presume. Photographer started showing symptoms that afternoon. Acquaintance and family got sick within the next five days. Could have been somewhere else since they work outside the home.

A friend's husband came down with it first. He works from home and only leaves to go to Lowe's. My friend and her teen son got it next. Their other son never showed symptoms and wasn't tested so they assume the dad got it from him or a trip to Lowe's.

The list could go on and on. I know lots of people who have gotten it, most of whom have recovered, several who haven't, many who have been very sick and never want to go through it again.

So, if you want to avoid it, just remain vigilant. Consider taking supplements proactively to improve your immune system. Can't wait until this is all a memory
Gilligan
AG
It is perplexing that someone (me) picks it up outside the home. I'm asymptotic except for a sinus infection and no one in the house gets it.

It's highly contagious and yet not at the same time.

Edit: I don't know where I got it.
speck
AG
BlackLab said:

... I still don't personally know anyone that got it ...
Wow - I sincerely hope it stays that way. Certainly not the case here in San Antonio.
88planoAg
AG
The below is obviously the nexus of exposure but someone there had to have been exposed somewhere else. Who knows, really.

Went to a wedding. We don't know who the vector there was. All couples at the head table ended up positive, 6 people, all over 50, most over 55, 3 overweight. All had minimal to mild symptoms. 80 year old grandmother of the bride also at our table hasn't tested positive. Of note, we stayed with the parents of the bride in their house so weren't just around each other at the wedding.

afaik no others were positive who attended the wedding which was over 150 people.

As I told the bride, I have no regrets about attending her once in a lifetime event and wouldn't have changed anything.

We isolated in our home and had our sons bringing us food etc and communicating through a closed door. The 17 year old ended up asymptomatic positive but our 20 year old never tested positive. He might have antibodies from an unknown exposure at some point.
88planoAg
AG
BlackLab said:

For those of you that already got it, do you know how? Anything you'd do different if you could go back? Figured it would be good to learn potential situations to avoid or a reminder on how to not let our guard down. Generally curious because I still don't personally know anyone that got it but the numbers are so high now. Thanks.
My guess is you do know people who have had it and they either didn't know or haven't discussed it. I was surprised at the number of people who contacted me privately when I posted on social media. I never would have known otherwise. There is a stigma and also a reluctance (?) I guess to share info re: a positive result with minimal/no symptoms.
oldflyer
AG
I haven't had it, but my golf buddy has. His 96-year-old mother brought it home from church. She gave it to my golf buddy and his sister. They in turn gave it to their families. Seven people sick with minor symptoms, but the mother died.
OlRock
AG
I went out on a Friday night to a place that was mostly outdoors, and the establishment had a large garage door wall that remained opened. When I got home I did make the comment to my wife that there was a lot of people there. We then proceeded to a friends halloween party the following Saturday night.

I run and I started filling "it" during my runs early that following week. Wednesday's run was tough, and I proceeded to feel bad into the night. I had a rising fever all evening. Then I tested positive. Confirmed at least 5 other party goers tested positive around the same time I did.

I also have kids in-person learning in 2 different schools. To be honest, my family, and what appears to be a very large part of my community, have been out and about leading normal lives as best we can while following all protocols (with common sense) primarily since school started. The kids have been playing sports and we have had to adjust in many ways when quarantines have been required.

TulsAg
AG
My father died suddenly and unexpectedly in early December. Nine family members gathered for a brief memorial service. Turns out one of them had it and tested positive the next day. Seven of the other 8 who gathered all got it. All masked most of the time, except when sharing a meal.

Fortunately, no serious cases despite some of advanced age and/or with comorbidities.
FratboyLegend
Covid is not a 'team sport'. What a ridiculous thing to say.
#CertifiedSIP
aginlakeway
RockwallAg99
AG
Got it from a coworker in the office. He had been sniffling and coughing on 12/10. Dismissed it as allergies, which is understandable given the amount of Cedar in the air which is a problem itself. 12/11 we told him to go get tested and he was positive. As we work closely I figured I'd probably get it even though we do wear masks when not in our own office. I ran a slight fever on 12/12. Tested neg on 12/13 and dismissed it as allergies. Felt fine for the next week. Drank like a sailor when we BTHO Tennessee and throughout the evening watching Clemson throttle ND. Might have celebrated prematurely that evening thinking we were in the playoff. Continued drinking till way too late. Woke up Sunday and thought it was a helluva hangover but a hangover has never really laid me up and gave me chills. 102.9 temp. Tested positive. Fever actually broke by evening however without any ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Other than that one day and feeling a little tired the next morning I was completely fine. Never lost taste or smell, very little coughing/congestion, and no other symptoms. I still get winded a little easy but nothing terrible.

All told 6 people in our office ended up getting it. It really opens your eyes to just how randomly this crap chooses to attack people. I'm probably the least healthy of all of us to get it. I'm an overweight guy, mid 40's, respiratory/sinus/asthma issues. I've been taking Dr. Rev's recommended supplements since April though. I'm sure that helped alot. The person I got it from ended up going to the hospital on day 8 and spent 6 days there and one other coworker ended up getting pneumonia in both lungs and had a very rough go.
The Big12Ag
NASAg03 said:

Probably got it at the dancehall or a bar. I've been going to them regularly since everything reopened in June. Most of my friends at those places have had it. Seems like at least 50% of friends I've talked to.

Was around 7 people when I started having symptoms, including my 70 year old mom. Thought it was food poisoning at first. Isolated after the tell tell signs started showing up and tested positive a few days after that.

Wouldn't change a thing. 2 weeks feeling like **** is worth it vs living paranoid and alone for a year.

Actually I would probably go to a covid party to get it and be done ASAP if I had it to do again.
I find this a bit surprising, you felt no worry or guilt in exposing your older relatives?

I agree with not living paranoid and alone but don't get how you've presented two options - living paranoid and alone for a year OR regularly going inside with large groups of strangers. For myself, I didn't want to live paranoid and alone, and did not, but I have lots of things I enjoy that don't involve being inside with large groups of strangers on a regular basis. I do enjoy dining inside or going to movies, but dining outside and renting at home with family and close friends wasn't a big pivot to me. Both my wife and I have gone to work in person every day, all our kids do in person school and sports programs, we have other exposures as well - but prior to see older relatives we have common sense isolated where possible and even had a test or two to protect those more at risk.

I guess if dancehalls and bars are your main hobbies and only means of social enjoyment then it is your choice to be able to go there, but exposing others when you have symptoms doesn't have to be a part of your either/or scenario.
94chem
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
The Big12Ag said:

NASAg03 said:

I find this a bit surprising, you felt no worry or guilt in exposing your older relatives?

I agree with not living paranoid and alone but don't get how you've presented two options - living paranoid and alone for a year OR regularly going inside with large groups of strangers. For myself, I didn't want to live paranoid and alone, and did not, but I have lots of things I enjoy that don't involve being inside with large groups of strangers on a regular basis. I do enjoy dining inside or going to movies, but dining outside and renting at home with family and close friends wasn't a big pivot to me. Both my wife and I have gone to work in person every day, all our kids do in person school and sports programs, we have other exposures as well - but prior to see older relatives we have common sense isolated where possible and even had a test or two to protect those more at risk.

I guess if dancehalls and bars are your main hobbies and only means of social enjoyment then it is your choice to be able to go there, but exposing others when you have symptoms doesn't have to be a part of your either/or scenario.
Nah, man. Do you even American, bro? There's no middle ground. You either get in the bubble, or get out in the flow and blow celebratory chunks on everyone you see.

Seriously, if I walked into a mom and pop hardware store and stole a generator, which meant I didn't have to work an extra job to buy it, but it meant the proprietor couldn't make his next loan payment, I wouldn't come on TexAgs and brag about it.

But these days, everybody has to be a coronabro or a virus hunter. Not sure how you can be proud of spreading a disease. I feel bad when my wife catches my cold.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
GAC06
AG
That analogy made no sense
Maroon Elephant
AG
Outbreak in our office. 14 out of 24 people got it the same week. 12 of the 14 had been in-and-out of a conference room for an all day meeting the week before. It took a month to get back to "normal" around here.
NASAg03
94chem said:

The Big12Ag said:

NASAg03 said:

Nah, man. Do you even American, bro? There's no middle ground. You either get in the bubble, or get out in the flow and blow celebratory chunks on everyone you see.

Seriously, if I walked into a mom and pop hardware store and stole a generator, which meant I didn't have to work an extra job to buy it, but it meant the proprietor couldn't make his next loan payment, I wouldn't come on TexAgs and brag about it.

But these days, everybody has to be a coronabro or a virus hunter. Not sure how you can be proud of spreading a disease. I feel bad when my wife catches my cold.
They know how I live my life, and it's their choice if they want to hang out with me. I only hung around others when I thought I had food poisoning, not covid. When the respiratory symptoms started, that's when I isolated under the assumption I had covid. Then I got tested to confirm, and told everyone that I had it so that they could get tested / trace contacts.

My mom is 70 with no underlying conditions. She's healthy and has a great immune system, probably from being a nurse all her life. And it was her choice to spend time with me, go out in public, go to restaurants, and enjoy life. And she was caring for her aunt who is 91, who also wanted to go to Walmart in person and interact with people. Why? Because she wants to enjoy her last few years on earth.

I never said I was proud of spreading the disease. But I'm not going to quarantine every time I show a single symptom out of the 15+ that are related to covid.

I'm a single man in my late 30's. My social circles involving church, sports, and outdoor groups largely shut down, and this was after I had just moved to Denver. So yeah I was lonely and depressed from March thru June, and very excited when things started to re-open. Those included bars, restaurants, and dance halls. I value living over existence, and my friends share the same mindset. I never lied or hid my lifestyle, and people weren't comfortable with my actions stopped spending time with me. And that's something I accepted.
TXTransplant
NASAg03 said:

94chem said:

The Big12Ag said:

NASAg03 said:

They know how I live my life, and it's their choice if they want to hang out with me. I only hung around others when I thought I had food poisoning, not covid. When the respiratory symptoms started, that's when I isolated under the assumption I had covid. Then I got tested to confirm, and told everyone that I had it so that they could get tested / trace contacts.

My mom is 70 with no underlying conditions. She's healthy and has a great immune system, probably from being a nurse all her life. And it was her choice to spend time with me, go out in public, go to restaurants, and enjoy life. And she was caring for her aunt who is 91, who also wanted to go to Walmart in person and interact with people. Why? Because she wants to enjoy her last few years on earth.

I never said I was proud of spreading the disease. But I'm going to quarantine every time I show a single symptom out of the 15+ that are related to covid.

I'm a single man in my late 30's. My social circles involving church, sports, and outdoor groups largely shut down, and this was after I had just moved to Denver. So yeah I was lonely and depressed from March thru June, and very excited when things started to re-open. Those included bars, restaurants, and dance halls. I value living over existence, and my friends share the same mindset. I never lied or hid my lifestyle, and people weren't comfortable with my actions stopped spending time with me.. And that's something I accepted.

What I bolded is important. I don't go out to bars and dance halls (I rarely eat out, even before Covid).

But, back when things opened up, I went back to my small group fitness classes. I go to one every day, and it has 8-10 people in it. We position ourselves 6 ft apart in class, but when you're sweating and huffing and puffing, I don't think that makes a difference.

Anyway, I made it clear to people that I was going to this class. I told my parents, my friends, and my coworkers who I go to lunch with once a week. I told the parents of the kids my son carpooled to band practice with.

No one opted out of contact with me because if it, but I firmly believe being transparent and letting others make their own decisions is important.

My sister really tried to guilt me hard over this, though. She said something like "What if you caught it at exercise class, gave it to your son, he gave it to someone at school, and that person at school gave it to their elderly grandparent?"

Good grief, that's so many degrees of separation! Not to mention, he goes to school with 2000+ other kids - and they and their families are going on vacations and to football games and probably to exercise classes, too.

I am only responsible for myself, and I am only accountable to the people in my closest circle. As long as you're honest with them and give them the opportunity to opt in/out of seeing you, that's really all you can do.

Other than that, when I go to work and any stores, I wear a mask and do my best to stay 6 ft away from people. If you do all that and someone still catches this, than so be it, because, other than locking down again, there is not much more you can do to prevent it.

As a side note, on the day I first lost taste and smell, it was my turn to drive carpool. I told the mother of the other kid riding with us about my symptoms, and she was ok with the situation. And, as I said above, to my knowledge, I didn't pass it on to anyone, either before I had symptoms or while I actively had symptoms.
Fan
S
My husband and I both had it. He was about 3 days ahead of me, so our assumption is he was infected then spread it to me.

Where the exposure happened is one of life's great mysteries. We are assuming at the gym, but there haven't been any associated outbreaks that we know about, so that's possible but not probable. My husband was in his office a few times in the week before we got sick so that's a possibility, but there are VERY few people who aren't working from home right now.

I'm out more than my husband, but since he got it first we're assuming he was the one exposed. If I carried it home but was symptomatic longer before I had symptoms, the possible places I got it are the gym, H-E-B, bank, or a couple local stores I frequent. As you can see, our pandemic lives aren't very exciting!

We're pretty careful...we're both 60, and even though we're active and in fairly good health we don't want to invite trouble! We wear masks in public and have avoided large crowds for the most part since this thing started. We were surprised when we got sick. We started quarantining "just in case" but we really thought we had colds until we completely lost smell and taste.
The_Fox
Caught it at work from my law partner. He has no idea where he contracted it. It spread through our respective families and all were mild cases.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.