Grandfather with Covid - Doc won't prescribe anything

1,845 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by chris1515
Goodbull_19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My grandfather (age 77) tested positive last Friday (1/15), symptoms began (1/13).

Mostly mild symptoms so far, slight cough and GI distress.

Currently has appendix cancer, overweight, HTN has finished his treatment and they are just watching it now.

Currently taking Vitamin D, zinc and melatonin.

Vitals looking good so far.

PCM won't prescribe ivermectin or anything else yet, since he is so far looking good, says ivermectic evidence isn't strong enough yet, etc.

Any Docs have recommendations on if we should be pushing for ivermectin or any other treatment recs?

Just hate the idea of "wait and see" since he's doing well right now, since we know this thing can quickly take a turn.

Thoughts??
TPS Reports
AG
If it were my family, I would be throwing everything I can at it proactively, especially with his risk profile. Maybe seek out another physician who is willing to treat more aggressively? Is he in Texas?
Goodbull_19
AG
McKinney Ag said:

If it were my family, I would be throwing everything I can at it proactively, especially with his risk profile. Maybe seek out another physician who is willing to treat more aggressively? Is he in Texas?
that's what I am thinking as well. He is located in San Antonio. I am here in DFW so somewhat away from him and have no contact with his PCM.
KidDoc
AG
That doctor is following current treatment protocols. The studies on Ivermectin show no benefit. Dexamethasone has some evidence of benefit if you are requiring oxygen otherwise not really.

Monoclonal antibodies (Regeneron) may be indicated in this case - I would push for that if anything.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
COVID is brand new. No one know what really works and what doesn't. We're all working off our best judgement. For some doctors that's "try everything that might work", for others it's "try only things that could most likely work", and for others it's "don't try anything unless we know it works". Those are all valid and rational approaches to something like this, and there are no wrong answers. The important thing is for the doctor and the patient to agree on the overall plan.

So if your grandfather doesn't like the treatment plan or his doctor, then by all means go somewhere else. If your grandfather trusts his doctor and is good with that doctor's judgement then don't be a busybody. It's hard enough to make our patients happy with our plans, and it is literally impossible to please the patient and their entire extended family.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
General life advice.

*Just be there to support grandpa as he is probably stressed out and worried.

*Listen more than talk.

*does anyone go to appointments with him?

My Dad has cancer as well and when he has an appointment, someone is either there with him to take notes or listening on speaker phone. It is important to write down what is said to discuss information related by doctor and other staff.

I work in EMS and in a perfect world, one partner writes down patient comments/concerns/medical history/meds/allergies to document while the other is leading patient assessment and care. It is helpful to repeat back what is said for accuracy.

Hope this helps you and Grandpa.
Rock1982
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

COVID is brand new. No one know what really works and what doesn't. We're all working off our best judgement. For some doctors that's "try everything that might work", for others it's "try only things that could most likely work", and for others it's "don't try anything unless we know it works". Those are all valid and rational approaches to something like this, and there are no wrong answers. The important thing is for the doctor and the patient to agree on the overall plan.

So if your grandfather doesn't like the treatment plan or his doctor, then by all means go somewhere else. If your grandfather trusts his doctor and is good with that doctor's judgement then don't be a busybody. It's hard enough to make our patients happy with our plans, and it is literally impossible to please the patient and their entire extended family.

Great advice!
Fitch
AG
My uncle (beat leukemia several years back) received monoclonal antibodies last Wednesday after spending ~10 days not making any positive progress. If you can push for that I see no reason to not.
Goodbull_19
AG
Thank you everyone, all very helpful!
robdobyns
AG

Recent meta-analysis of ivermectin studies. Last week the NIH released a statement stating there was not enough data to say that it worked. And not enough data to say that it didn't work. Therefore the previous recommendation against using it was withdrawn.
I take it myself for prophylaxis. I'm in the group that believes if a drug has a proven excellent safety profile and a decent chance of working based on studies, then the possible benefits far outweigh the risks.
chris1515
AG
I'd sure look into this:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/monoclonal-antibody-infusion-centers-open-in-irving-fort-worth/2525876/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.