A TALE OF TWO VACCINATION HUBS...

4,818 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by chimpanzee
buffalo chip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
AustinAg2K said:

A major difference I've noticed is how much screening places do. The areas that are doing really tight screening are having a lot more problems with long wait times. Places that are doing minimal screening don't really have a problem. I think places need to stop worrying so much about people cutting the line and trust that most people will be honest. Sure, some will lie and get through, but for the most part, I think we'll be able to roll through people much faster with less waste. Besides, someone getting their vaccine early isn't the worst thing. They will be getting it eventually anyways.
As 3rd Gen Ag, responded, the important data can be collected during the online session. That streamlines the in person need for data.

I strongly disagree about the line cutters... I do not have a link, but go look up the Houston Chronicle article about the City of Houston managed vaccination at Minute Maid on Saturday. There were hundreds of people in line with appointments who were told, after waiting up to 2.5 hours, that they were out of vaccinations. Due to line cutters... My sister said that many who were in line with her had canes and walkers (she was vaccinated and left before they ran out, so not an eye witness to that zoo).
wbt5845
AG
Yeah, I'm not ok with people just showing up and getting the vaccine in front of people who made reservations. But I am ok with anyone who wants the vaccine just being allowed to register and get it. In Arlington, you can't even get into the parking lot of the facility distributing the vaccine without and appointment.

In fact, I think we're within a week of "any one can register now" here in Texas
3rd Generation Ag
AG
wbt5845 said:

Yeah, I'm not ok with people just showing up and getting the vaccine in front of people who made reservations. But I am ok with anyone who wants the vaccine just being allowed to register and get it. In Arlington, you can't even get into the parking lot of the facility distributing the vaccine without and appointment.

In fact, I think we're within a week of "any one can register now" here in Texas
I hope though they still give priority to those from 1a and 1b. Some have had trouble finding a place to register and the waits can be long. Let anyone register, but still put the most at risk at the front of the line.
AustinAg2K
I guess I should have clarified. I meant that they shouldn't be verifying that you indeed have an immunity issue or that you do in fact work in healthcare. You should have to have an appointment. If it's easy to verify, like a birthday on a driver's license, then do it, but if it takes more than a minute or two, it's not worth it. People will certainly lie to get into to get the vaccine, but I bet the number that do is less than the amount of vaccine that is being trashed. I read a few weeks ago that it was estimated to be like 30%.

Another thing I liked about the way Tarrant County is doing it, is that you go online and just put your name on a list and then they call you when it's your time. They call and say, "We have a spot tomorrow at 10 am. Can you make it?". You don't have to sit there refreshing the page over and over hoping a slot pops up, and you don't have to sit on hold all day to find out there are no slots. Their list is 300k people long, and if you sign up now it's probably two months out, but I think that's better still a better process. I tried to help my parents in Houston sign up, but there didn't seem to be lists anywhere. You have to be lucky and hit the page when they have an appointment available. (It doesn't help my parents refuse to drive very far to get it.)

Another idea that I think would be good would be to maintain a separate list that is for non guaranteed appointments. Let anyone sign up for them (not just old). The idea being that if you require appointment only, there will be people that miss their appointments. If there is vaccine left over at the end of the day, give it to this group. I don't feel as bad if it's a young person, and they haven't been guaranteed an appointment, and they run out before hand. It would help ensure nothing is wasted.
cc_ag92
AG
Your parents may get in sooner, too, as some people won't take their offered appointments. When Tarrant called us last week, we declined because we had already received our first vaccine elsewhere. I'm hopeful that some of these tens of thousands of people will drop off because they are already vaccinated and will then move others up the line.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

Yes, Austin Ag....Arlington is not taking time for insurance filing or screening. Both things really could slow down lines. They do require an appointment you get by getting in virtual line. The appointment process asks screening questions.

The vaccine is free. No one is checking insurance.
cc_ag92
AG
I had to show my insurance card when I got the vaccine, so some people are checking insurance.
traxter
buffalo chip said:

I am so glad that you explained it to me. Elated indeed. You can expand and interpret what I posted to meet your own biases. Enjoy...
I apologize if I offended you and mistakenly assumed the reason behind your post.
buffalo chip
S
No apology needed. No offense taken. Just interesting to see where interpretative license takes things...

Thank you for the kind thought...
cavscout96
AG
BBQ4Me said:

Israel is showing the efficiency of govt when you have centralized planning instead of the fed-state-local dynamics
Israel's population is 3.5% of the US and their land mass is .22%.

This is a comparison of apples to lawnmowers...

cavscout96
AG
ttuhscaggie said:

That's it. Federalism is so 20th century. We're in the midst of a deadly global pandemic. We should have suspended our constitution and implemented a centralized government takeover a long time ago.
they are trying...
FrioAg 00
AG
"NRG" is really just Memorial Hermann, using the NRG site for delivery.

MHHS is Houston's largest employer and its largest provider of healthcare. It is regularly in the business of very large scale clinical operations.

Should not be surprising to see them outperforming groups trying to accomplish the same goal, but from far less experience. Unfortunately the health systems in the community need the additional bandwidth of the others- otherwise getting north of 200M doses is going to take us forever.
chimpanzee
BBQ4Me said:

Israel is showing the efficiency of govt when you have centralized planning instead of the fed-state-local dynamics

Would the centralized option be "throw unused vax in the trash before you give them to someone not on an approved list" ala Cuomo? There's no guarantee the planning is actually going to be better when centralized.

Credit to Israel for having their stuff together, but a total national population lower than LA County in a land area smaller than New Jersey helps some too.

I presume they have some domestic production of their own. The logistics of getting this product out there is astonishing and frankly way better than I would have anticipated from a clean sheet.

bigtruckguy3500
chimpanzee said:

BBQ4Me said:

Would the centralized option be "throw unused vax in the trash before you give them to someone not on an approved list" ala Cuomo? There's no guarantee the planning is actually going to be better when centralized.

Credit to Israel for having their stuff together, but a total national population lower than LA County in a land area smaller than New Jersey helps some too.

I presume they have some domestic production of their own. The logistics of getting this product out there is astonishing and frankly way better than I would have anticipated from a clean sheet.

There was an article somewhere that detailed the Israel roll out of the vaccine. They paid a premium to get extra doses early and, while they do benefit from an extremely small footprint, they had a plan in place well before they got vaccines in hand. They weren't figuring it out as they went, like we are.
chimpanzee
bigtruckguy3500 said:

chimpanzee said:

BBQ4Me said:

There was an article somewhere that detailed the Israel roll out of the vaccine. They paid a premium to get extra doses early and, while they do benefit from an extremely small footprint, they had a plan in place well before they got vaccines in hand. They weren't figuring it out as they went, like we are.
Some states seem to do better than others. Israel would be on the good side. Those farther on the bad side in the US will blame someone else, such is politics. Nothing stopped New York, Texas, Florida, or California from doing what Israel did, unless it was part of a centralized plan.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.