What does the 2021 football season look like?

1,913 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Barnyard96
DenverAg91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So in a hypothetical where players are vaccinated before week 1, what can we expect in terms of quarantine, contact tracing, protocols, games postponed, etc?

Even if every player and staff member got the vaccine, a 95% effectiveness rate isn't 100%, so I wonder what will happen If someone tests positive.
GAC06
AG
If we are even discussing quarantine, contact tracing, masks or social distancing in September then we are truly in clown world.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Testing the healthiest kids in our country 3 times a week has to stop

Testing our nursing home staff and elder care has to start
BiochemAg97
AG
DenverAg91 said:

So in a hypothetical where players are vaccinated before week 1, what can we expect in terms of quarantine, contact tracing, protocols, games postponed, etc?

Even if every player and staff member got the vaccine, a 95% effectiveness rate isn't 100%, so I wonder what will happen If someone tests positive.
Nothing is 100%. But at 95%, you are talking about the vaccine not working for 5 or so guys on the team and staff. Everyone else would be immune. There would be no medical reason for mass testing and quarantine in that scenario. If someone gets sick, you treat them. You don't cancel games because you have a handful of players injured, no need to cancel games because a handful might have COVID.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I could see them limiting attendance again, but I can't see them continuing the contact tracing and such to the players. I really hope we are back to business as usual.
bigtruckguy3500
I think it really depends on how much of the population gets vaccinated, and how long both natural and vaccine mediated immunity lasts, if there are new strains, etc. We'll also see what the data shows moving forward in terms of how effective this vaccine really is, especially in those that don't wear masks or take appropriate precautions.

I think (and hope) that we're in our last major surge. There are no large holidays for several months, and the vaccine is here. We're getting close to a million doses per day being administered. Yes, 70% might be the magic number for herd immunity, but even a number significantly less than that can have a big impact on transmission rates - and thus hospitalization rates.

Regarding the players - they would need to get vaccinated at least 2 months before week 1. And that's because the second vaccine can make you feel like crap. I'm sure the coaches don't want players potentially missing practice during the seasons. Also, given all the misinformation online, I suspect at least 30% of players will choose not to vaccinate at this time.
ORAggieFan
If on the 4th of July we aren't all burning our masks in celebratory bonfires we are all doomed.
Dad
AG
I think by July you will have excess vaccine supply and the schools can tell the players if you are vaccinated there will be no testing, no tracing, no missing games outside of actually being symptomatic then leave it up to the players on if they want to get vaccinated at and go by pre-2020 rules or not get vaccinated and still have 2020 rules apply to them.
Prexys Moon
AG
My expectations for all this crap have become so low. My son is a fish at A&M. I am just hoping that Fall 2021 is normal. Football games, corps, but more importantly going to class, talking to people on campus, normal college life. I went down to see him a couple times this fall and it was just depressing. 2 out of 3 seats in the flag room with giant stickers on them to stop people from sitting there. Giant signs in the MSC food court "mask up stay 6 feet away". Classes that say they are in person but after a couple weeks they are all zoom. Way fewer people on campus. Kids riding a bike wearing a mask. Incredible. I was thankful we had 3 march ins and some games but it wasn't the same. No outfit bbqs, no yell practice, etc. "virtual" silver taps.

One of his classes was supposed to be an easy intro level class with several group presentations. His group never met in person and did their presentations on zoom. WTF. Nobody did well. Well no ****, how the hell do you do group projects and never meet as a group.

It was all such bull***** We have alot of friends with nonreg kids who were there in the fall and are battling major depression and questioning even going back to school. They never left their dorm rooms. Online class, no activities, etc. Never been so glad that my son chose the corps. At least he had friends, things going on, etc. The decisions by universities to put these idiotic "protocols" into place for a population that is just not at risk for problems with covid is criminal. College by definition is supposed to be THE time in a kid's life to meet new people, to talk to people, to experience new things. "mask up stay away". How absolutely sickening.

Of course , Young and Fierke have moved on, but their decisions and actions have caused immeasurable mental harm to this year's Aggie students.

I know alot of parents are beyond pissed. We are paying the same price for A&M and our kids are NOT getting a college experience (moreso in the corps, however). We all played ball this fall. The spring looks to be more of the same (MSC open house is "virtual" again, for example). But if A&M does this bull**** again in the fall there is going to be major protest.

Of course, it's like the Ivy Leagues...A&M's respose can be fine, leave, we'll give your spot to somebody else.
Capitol Ag
AG
The more people get the vaccine the better chance we will have of sanity coming back and us having a normal season. Sure hope we can. Honestly feel like programs and college towns really need 100% capacity back. This has been such a drain on the programs and the small businesses that rely on game weekends. They won't be able to take 2 seasons like this.
PJYoung
AG
It's hard to imagine a second fall of this when everybody who wants to be vaccinated will be by summer.
Proposition Joe
Very unlikely that we're not back at full capacity for sports and concerts by Fall.
Barnyard96
AG
It is good the see the Corps with a full Spring schedule again. Evening formation is back, Duncan, Aggieland Saturday, Family Weekend, March to the Brazos, and Final Review are all a Go!

I think Kyle will be rocking come Sept.
TAMU1990
AG
Prexys Moon said:

My expectations for all this crap have become so low. My son is a fish at A&M. I am just hoping that Fall 2021 is normal. Football games, corps, but more importantly going to class, talking to people on campus, normal college life. I went down to see him a couple times this fall and it was just depressing. 2 out of 3 seats in the flag room with giant stickers on them to stop people from sitting there. Giant signs in the MSC food court "mask up stay 6 feet away". Classes that say they are in person but after a couple weeks they are all zoom. Way fewer people on campus. Kids riding a bike wearing a mask. Incredible. I was thankful we had 3 march ins and some games but it wasn't the same. No outfit bbqs, no yell practice, etc. "virtual" silver taps.

One of his classes was supposed to be an easy intro level class with several group presentations. His group never met in person and did their presentations on zoom. WTF. Nobody did well. Well no ****, how the hell do you do group projects and never meet as a group.

It was all such bull***** We have alot of friends with nonreg kids who were there in the fall and are battling major depression and questioning even going back to school. They never left their dorm rooms. Online class, no activities, etc. Never been so glad that my son chose the corps. At least he had friends, things going on, etc. The decisions by universities to put these idiotic "protocols" into place for a population that is just not at risk for problems with covid is criminal. College by definition is supposed to be THE time in a kid's life to meet new people, to talk to people, to experience new things. "mask up stay away". How absolutely sickening.

Of course , Young and Fierke have moved on, but their decisions and actions have caused immeasurable mental harm to this year's Aggie students.

I know alot of parents are beyond pissed. We are paying the same price for A&M and our kids are NOT getting a college experience (moreso in the corps, however). We all played ball this fall. The spring looks to be more of the same (MSC open house is "virtual" again, for example). But if A&M does this bull**** again in the fall there is going to be major protest.

Of course, it's like the Ivy Leagues...A&M's respose can be fine, leave, we'll give your spot to somebody else.
Happened to my daughter as a 1st year student. Now I have her in counseling because what kids thought college was about is not happening. It's actually making it harder to be successful.
aggielawyer00
AG
Do you have dates for Aggieland Saturday?
Barnyard96
AG
aggielawyer00 said:

Do you have dates for Aggieland Saturday?
The Corps Spring calendar shows February 13th, but I can't find another TAMU posting that backs this up. Its TBD everywhere else.

https://corpsofcadets.org/online-calendar
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.