Out of reserves - vaccine

5,900 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PlanoAg79
Born&Raised
How long do you want to ignore this user?
amercer said:

Maybe, maybe not. The other trials haven't read out yet so we don't know what the numbers will really be. It's been clear from the outset though that while the mRNA vaccines would be quicker to develop, that more traditional vaccines would have a huge advantage on the production side.

Can you explain the last point you made - regarding "production side".

I'm interested
amercer
AG
The infrastructure already existed to make billions of doses of traditional vaccines every year. Manufacturing of the mRNA vaccines requires different equipment, raw materials, procedures, personnel, etc.
BiochemAg97
AG
amercer said:

My inside info is that the facilities in college station are making the Novavax vaccine right now. It's secondhand inside info though.
That sounds right. Been a long time since I read the press release where they were signed up for that.

NovaVax is using a protein vaccine. The mRNA vaccine gets some mRNA in your cells and the cells make the spike protein. NovaVax injects the spike protein and doesn't need your cells to make it.

Don't recall if they submitted to the FDA yet, but they should be close. Also, I'm guessing protein vaccine would be something you just need to keep refrigerated. Not nearly as fragile as mRNA.
BiochemAg97
AG
DadHammer said:

pocketrockets06 said:

From the studies it looked like the vaccines were around 80% effective 10-14 days after the first dose. So you should be reasonably protected (keep the mask on)

A dr was posting the studies and it's closer to 90%+.
2 doses gets you to 90+%. First does was much lower. I seem to recall something like 50% for 1st dose.

There was some debate about most of the infected after the first dose were in the first week or so and likely exposed before the vaccine. Still, giving the second dose is 21-28 days later, there isn't really a whole lot of people who would have been infected in that 1-2 week window between 14 days after the first and getting the second.
PJYoung
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

DadHammer said:

pocketrockets06 said:

From the studies it looked like the vaccines were around 80% effective 10-14 days after the first dose. So you should be reasonably protected (keep the mask on)

A dr was posting the studies and it's closer to 90%+.
2 doses gets you to 90+%. First does was much lower. I seem to recall something like 50% for 1st dose.

There was some debate about most of the infected after the first dose were in the first week or so and likely exposed before the vaccine. Still, giving the second dose is 21-28 days later, there isn't really a whole lot of people who would have been infected in that 1-2 week window between 14 days after the first and getting the second.

I remember the first dose efficacy as 52%.
cc_ag92
AG
I had an outpatient procedure at a BSW facility this morning and overheard two nurses talking while I waited for the doctor. I was the first scheduled procedure, so we were the only three people there and it was easy to hear.

One of them received her first vaccine at a Brookshire's pharmacy with three of their coworkers about three weeks ago. Her dad received his first vaccine at the HEB in Waxahachie. When he went up there yesterday for his second, he was told that they were out and had no idea when they would get their next shipment and that he needed to start looking elsewhere.

First of all, I was very surprised that she didn't get her vaccine from BSW since they have received large numbers. Second, I was upset to hear about what happened at HEB. I'm concerned that's what is going to happen to a lot of us.

I would have asked her about it if she came back in, but then the rest of the medical team arrived and I was whisked away before I had an opportunity.
BiochemAg97
AG
cc_ag92 said:

I had an outpatient procedure at a BSW facility this morning and overheard two nurses talking while I waited for the doctor. I was the first scheduled procedure, so we were the only three people there and it was easy to hear.

One of them received her first vaccine at a Brookshire's pharmacy with three of their coworkers about three weeks ago. Her dad received his first vaccine at the HEB in Waxahachie. When he went up there yesterday for his second, he was told that they were out and had no idea when they would get their next shipment and that he needed to start looking elsewhere.

First of all, I was very surprised that she didn't get her vaccine from BSW since they have received large numbers. Second, I was upset to hear about what happened at HEB. I'm concerned that's what is going to happen to a lot of us.

I would have asked her about it if she came back in, but then the rest of the medical team arrived and I was whisked away before I had an opportunity.
There seems to be a major shift in distribution strategy the last week or so. Rather than a little bit everywhere, looks like we are going heavy at a few hubs. Sucks for those who got an initial dose at one of the smaller operations that gets cut out in favor of the hubs. Also sucks for those who aren't anywhere near one of those hubs.
The Big12Ag
BiochemAg97 said:

cc_ag92 said:

There seems to be a major shift in distribution strategy the last week or so. Rather than a little bit everywhere, looks like we are going heavy at a few hubs. Sucks for those who got an initial dose at one of the smaller operations that gets cut out in favor of the hubs. Also sucks for those who aren't anywhere near one of those hubs.
My sister got her first Moderna shot at an HEB, HEB let her know they are getting a distribution of second doses this week and she will be scheduled to come in. So I think second shots are still going to the smaller operations that gave first shots, I don't if newly distributed first shots are going anywhere but the hubs though.
wbt5845
AG
This is one of the reasons I went to a mega center, and insisted my parents do so as well. Chances of them getting the second doses is best.
Nosmo
Nosmo
AG
Safety and Efficacy of the BNT162b2 mRNA Covid-19 Vaccine

This should be a sticky reference as it's posted many places and people refer to it often but don't post the reference.

You can spare the mumbo jumbo explanation in the article if you reference "Figure 3" in the article, It's a visual of what happened.

My non-medical explanation is 2 weeks after the first dose, the vaccine is kicking azz.

amercer
AG
I agree that protection after the 1st shot is probably pretty good. But the truth is that you can't tell from that study. The numbers aren't big enough to do the required statistics to prove that anything you see isn't just due to chance.
Nosmo
AG
We don't KNOW anything about the vaccine from a long term study.

My point is this is report people are referring to, and many comments are inaccurate as to what the data actually showed from what we know right now.

People should "link" and describe what they think the report shows with caveats.

There would be less confusion.

The Big12Ag
With the vaccination rate in Israel, UAE, and Bahrain - and even UK and USA - we should start to see new cases per day declining. As always, multiple variables - UK HAS been declining since early January but they also announced big lockdown - but we should start to see a decrease. Between those infected in recent months having antibodies, the vaccinated population, and partial or hard shutdowns - number should be decreasing in these countries. And perhaps even more telling, due to the fact Pfizer and Moderna claimed 100% effectiveness at mitigating severe disease and the focus on vaccinating the elderly, fatalities should DEFINITELY decrease.
cc_ag92
AG
Since I live in Collin County, I don't have access to a hub in my county. When we made our first appointment with a smaller provider, there was no indication that strategy would change. At the time, only Tarrant County, Arlington, and small providers were vaccinating 1Bs. The lack of planning sucks.
BiochemAg97
AG
cc_ag92 said:

Since I live in Collin County, I don't have access to a hub in my county. When we made our first appointment with a smaller provider, there was no indication that strategy would change. At the time, only Tarrant County, Arlington, and small providers were vaccinating 1Bs. The lack of planning sucks.
I don't think it is necessarily a lack of planning, but a complete change of plan midstream, which is probably worse. You have some ramp up for plan A get things going, then pivot to plan B and basically start all over again sorting out the little issues that pop up.
PlanoAg79
AG
Go to this website and scroll down to the Collin County Hubs. Collin County Health has a signup. It's at about 146,000 right now, but sign up anyway. Lots of people are signed up with multiple counties. McKinney Fire Dept is using the Collin County waiting list, but Allen Fire Dept has a separate notification list that you can sign up for on their website. When they email you, respond quickly to get an appointment because it is first come, first serve. Baylor Scott & White is only vaccinating their patients at this time. Good luck.

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/immunize/vaccine-hubs.aspx
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.