Vaccines going in the trash

2,602 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JFABNRGR
Fido04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1254364

"Thousands of Covid-19 vaccines wind up in the garbage because of fed, state guidelines"

Then the guidelines need to change.
Aggie95
AG
Common sense should be enough to prevent this from happening
HotardAg07
AG
Honestly this is as much of a problem with poor planning and execution of a vaccine distribution system as it is the guidelines.

I think it'll get better over time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The more you try to prioritize groups, the more you try to leverage businesses that don't do this at scale and are already occupied running their existing business, the more this will happen. This should have been a mass arm jabbing hub process from the beginning
fightingfarmer09
Aggie95 said:

Common sense should be enough to prevent this from happening

Cuomo and other governors have already threatened criminal charges to anyone administering vaccines to those not explicitly listed in their tiers. So I don't blame someone for just trashing it instead.
Aries
I'm in charge of distributing our COVID vaccines at my place of work. It is a tedious & hair pulling tasks. The expectation from the Dept of Health is that once you receive your allocation, you administer them in a matter of days. However you have to schedule 11 people at one time to receive it in order to make sure you are administering all possible doses before they go bad. The Pfizer is very temperature sensitive so this has to be taken into consideration. Once punctured the vials are only good for a certain amount of time. The Moderna is only good for 6 hours once the vial is punctured.

However our allocation is supposed to just be for healthcare workers & this is deemed by the Dept of Health. If anything is done in error, it can put your future allocations in jeopardy. It is a very hard line to walk. Everything is very regulated & there is so much unknown.

Our partners in New York have not even received anything. I believe this is totally on how the government there is rolling this out.
normaleagle05
AG
For immediate release:
Whiskey facility has received X vials equalling Xx doses.
Triage for group alpha starts at time Y.
Alternates/overruns vaccinated with additional supply after triage group starting at time Z.
Please maintain appropriate distancing.

Boom. All consensual doses utilized. Markets are superior.
94chem
Chick FilA and McDonald's drive-thrus would have vaccinated everybody twice by now.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Unemployed
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

The more you try to prioritize groups, the more you try to leverage businesses that don't do this at scale and are already occupied running their existing business, the more this will happen. This should have been a mass arm jabbing hub process from the beginning
Yeah...just open up to anybody who wants the vaccine. If you're not able to get it, just continue to be safe and take the proper precautions.
FratboyLegend
normaleagle05 said:

For immediate release:
Whiskey facility has received X vials equalling Xx doses.
Triage for group alpha starts at time Y.
Alternates/overruns vaccinated with additional supply after triage group starting at time Z.
Please maintain appropriate distancing.

Boom. All consensual doses utilized. Markets are superior.
This is the 1,000% correct answer and hopefully governments will figure it out soon.
#CertifiedSIP
AggieBaseball06
AG
94chem said:

Chick FilA and McDonald's drive-thrus would have vaccinated everybody twice by now.

Whataburger and the Laynes on Texas Ave would still be trying to figure out which end of the needle goes in the arm.
ac04
if you have ever been inside a VA hospital, none of this is surprising at all. government and healthcare are two streams that should not ever cross. hoping this incompetence is noticed by everyone who votes.
Muy
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

94chem said:

Whataburger and the Laynes on Texas Ave would still be trying to figure out which end of the needle goes in the arm.

All Whataburgers in general have gotten so slow, every patient waiting in the drive thru is now a zombie.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
To me it was pretty clear early on that the gov either needs to set its basic guidelines but then let all their 3rd party partners they are using be fully responsible for ordering and then distributing the vaccine as they see fit or set up mega centers and do it themselves. But trying to micromanage hundreds/thousands of independent vendors is the least efficient Meath of I can possibly imagine.

Also how in the world was there not a team assembled in Q3 whose only job was to plan for this distribution to run smoothly and have everything ready to go?
78669AG
94chem said:

You forgot starbucks
If you can't handle the stress, log off until August. If you can handle the stress, be supportive and donate to United. No more buildings and concrete. Gotta channel funds to the collective for now.
notex
AG
Aries said:

I'm in charge of distributing our COVID vaccines at my place of work. It is a tedious & hair pulling tasks. The expectation from the Dept of Health is that once you receive your allocation, you administer them in a matter of days. However you have to schedule 11 people at one time to receive it in order to make sure you are administering all possible doses before they go bad. The Pfizer is very temperature sensitive so this has to be taken into consideration. Once punctured the vials are only good for a certain amount of time. The Moderna is only good for 6 hours once the vial is punctured.

However our allocation is supposed to just be for healthcare workers & this is deemed by the Dept of Health. If anything is done in error, it can put your future allocations in jeopardy. It is a very hard line to walk. Everything is very regulated & there is so much unknown.

Our partners in New York have not even received anything. I believe this is totally on how the government there is rolling this out.
Correct on that last part. Cuomo has to make sure the drug addicts get it before any nondesirables do, above all else though he has widened distribution a bit last week after some bad press on the hyper-restrictions.

None of us want to see the vaccines sitting unused, nor least of all going into the trash due to scheduling challenges, but I don't think more stringent oversight by Dept of Health types would help on either count.
culdeus
AG
78669AG said:

94chem said:

You forgot starbucks

I don't want a shot of hazelnut thanks.
Ragoo
AG
ac04 said:

if you have ever been inside a VA hospital, none of this is surprising at all. government and healthcare are two streams that should not ever cross. hoping this incompetence is noticed by everyone who votes.
100%
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
78669AG said:

94chem said:

You forgot starbucks

In all seriousness, at least for Texas, HEB should have been put in charge of logistics and distribution. They already proved themselves up to the task after Harvey.
aggiebrad94
AG
78669AG said:

94chem said:

You forgot starbucks
Starbucks would have you take the dose for the car behind you
amercer
AG
This is why I don't feel bad that I'm signed up to get it on Tuesday. It's a stretch to call me a healthcare worker or to say that I'm essential, it it's better in my arm than on the shelf or in the trash.
wbt5845
AG
And why I don't feel bad about getting my first one already. I realize the need to prioritize populations. But anytime a person presents themselves for the vaccine, it should be administered. Run 'em all through.
JFABNRGR
AG
Ragoo said:

ac04 said:

100%
Dont forget insurance and the big pharma lobby's negative influence in healthcare as well.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.