Metric for reopening - I want someone to start talking about this.

4,838 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Capitol Ag
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We've lived in a "just another two weeks" state for almost a year now, but the way I see it, there IS an end in sight. Just no one is talking about it.

I started thinking about this once vaccine distribution was imminent.

Obviously, it's still pretty hard to get a vaccine, but that's not going to last for ever. Once distribution becomes "steady state" and any adult over age 18 can make an appointment at a clinic to get a vaccine, masks, social distancing, restaurant restrictions, etc., should be lifted.

Notice I said "any adult over age 18 can make an appointment to get a vaccine" and not "once a certain percentage of adults are vaccinated". Because we know not everyone will get vaccinated. Honestly, I think we might get to 30% at best (I hope I'm wrong).

We shouldn't have to wait around for a certain percentage of the population to actually get the vaccine because that may never happen. If an adult chooses to not get vaccinated, then no one else has any responsibility for protecting that person from the virus.

But, once the vaccine is available to any adult who wants one, in my mind, this is over.

You should actually be able to "calculate" the "this is over" (or "open back up") date for each state by knowing 1) the number of vaccine doses that have been distributed (and presumably made available) to each state, and 2) the population of adults over 18 in the state.

Why isn't anyone talking about this? Is it just to early? Or is "leadership" not thinking in this mindset at all?

I feel like if someone stepped up and started talking about this, it would go a long way towards boosting morale and helping people see the "light at the end of the tunnel".
coolerguy12
AG
Haven't you heard? Shut downs and masks are the new normal.

Btw, I agree with everything you said. Unfortunately that's not how it will work because our leaders care more about control than what actually makes sense.
TXTransplant
Governors like Abbott and DeSantis need to start getting a message like this out there.
KlinkerAg11
AG
I'll try not to say too much to get this thread moved, but money is going to run out if you don't TRY to open.

I think that's why you see some political figures now talking about reopening, you can look at your yearly outlook and realize money is going to run out if things aren't open to tax.

I agree with everything TXTransplant said, to add to your metric for opening we have 27 million adults in Texas.

Not sure how long it will take to have enough vaccine available for that.
TXTransplant
I was trying to keep this from being political because that metric is pure data/numbers. No opinions or what abouts or feelings.

I think distribution is still too slow right now, but once it ramps up and reaches steady state, the date ought to be predictable.

And it's not just about "opening back up", it's about mask requirements, this new (stupid) CDC rule about having to have a negative test to reenter the country, etc.

If there are 27 million adults in Texas, seems like 15 million-ish vaccines could be a starting point. Or just go by the metric that, on any given day, a person can got to the HEB or Harris Co Pulbic Health and get a poke.
Fitch
AG
It's on the horizon. Right now there are more hospitalizations and more daily cases than at any other point, plus the political theater going on it's all pretty much drowning out that quite quietly the vaccines are ramping up.

The below has been posted before, from: https://covid19-projections.com/path-to-herd-immunity/

Ideally vaccine distributions continue to scale up and hit or exceed 1M / day. I'm hopeful we're back to 100% normal (domestically) when schools start back in the fall.

AggieSarah01
AG
The New Mexico governor just said that masks and distancing will be required until most people have been vaccinated, but she did not clarify a percentage, other than saying it will probably be at least late summer or fall.

Currently indoor dining will remain closed until there are fewer than 8 cases per 100,000 in a county...which they are predicting won't happen for several more months.
TXTransplant
AggieSarah01 said:

The New Mexico governor just said that masks and distancing will be required until most people have been vaccinated, but she did not clarify a percentage, other than saying it will probably be at least late summer or fall.

Currently indoor dining will remain closed until there are fewer than 8 cases per 100,000 in a county...which they are predicting won't happen for several more months.

That metric is misguided. I honestly don't think we will get to "most" people being vaccinated, at least not this year. That's why I suggested it be based on availability. The economy and other people's freedoms shouldn't be penalized because some people choose not to get vaccinated, and we shouldn't force vaccinations on people. Basing it on the percentage of people vaccinated is just another way to drag this out even longer than necessary.
lazuras_dc
AG
Another unintended consequence I can see is that at some point there are going to be all these vials of vaccine manufactured and paid for by the government. And once vaccinations hit that saturation point you're talking about I wouldn't be surprised if the govt said "we won't open until X% are vaccinated" to try and get more shots in arms. Who knows though.
TXTransplant
Ugh...I hadn't thought of that (and don't want to).

FTR, I plan on getting the vaccine. I just don't think the govt should force anyone to. Choose not to get it, and suffer the repercussions.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I see no reason to be less than 100% open once 1B has been vaccinated
culdeus
AG
Fitch said:

It's on the horizon. Right now there are more hospitalizations and more daily cases than at any other point, plus the political theater going on it's all pretty much drowning out that quite quietly the vaccines are ramping up.

The below has been posted before, from: https://covid19-projections.com/path-to-herd-immunity/

Ideally vaccine distributions continue to scale up and hit or exceed 1M / day. I'm hopeful we're back to 100% normal (domestically) when schools start back in the fall.

This chart is stupid. He projects that people that will have had covid will start dying of other stuff faster than people actually catching covid, yet this isn't considered herd immunity.
culdeus
AG
I still come back to the thought that what are these things that are "closed" that need to be "open" that aren't right now?

Maybe I live in a sheltered world, but the ISD is open, restaurants are open, bars are open. There's not a damn thing I want to do that I can't. Right now. And it's been that way more or less since May.

I know some school districts remain remote, and that sucks. It seems the right thing to do there is vax up all the teachers and 1b parents and go. Which is, in fact, the plan right now.
The Big12Ag
We've already gone through phases of shutting down and reopening a few times - or at least through different phases of what's allowed - so I don't think saying "something" has always been "two weeks away" is accurate. Everything shut down hard in April, Abbot reopened some things in May, we've had ups and downs as far as allowed size of gatherings and % occupancies, changes in what business can and can't see clients, etc.

But I think what you are really referring to is "when can we stop wearing masks?" - am I correct?

The phases of what's allowed have been driven by the rate of spread in the communities, based on that many communities would have a phase 4 or phase 5 status, or a code orange or code red status, and act based on that. Throughout all the changes with allowed size of gatherings and occupancy, I don't think masks requirements have been lifted anywhere. Although I'd go to rural locations or my kid's sporting events and people wouldn't be wearing masks, it was still officially required.

As far as masks - and all requirements - I don't see them getting lifted until it is felt everyone who wants a vaccine shot has been able to receive one. That will depend on our ability to procure and distribute doses. If cases and rate of spread drop due to immunity from those recovered, the slow progressions of vaccinations, or just due to entering spring and season decline - I think you'll start seeing occupancy and size of gathering changes. But masks remain until someone says everyone wanting a vaccine got one.
amercer
AG
Where I live there will be shutdowns until we are under 5/100,000. I assume masks will be required until fall. I don't know how long the public will comply with that.

I'm in the bluest of blue places, but the current numbers tell me that a lot of people aren't following the rules now, so it's hard to imagine many will when things start looking better.

Dad
AG
culdeus said:

I still come back to the thought that what are these things that are "closed" that need to be "open" that aren't right now?

Maybe I live in a sheltered world, but the ISD is open, restaurants are open, bars are open. There's not a damn thing I want to do that I can't. Right now. And it's been that way more or less since May.

I know some school districts remain remote, and that sucks. It seems the right thing to do there is vax up all the teachers and 1b parents and go. Which is, in fact, the plan right now.

Where I live everything has been open for a long time. The only thing that is different now is that we have to wear a mask in certain places.
Clob94
https://www.newsweek.com/covid-lockdowns-have-no-clear-benefit-vs-other-voluntary-measures-international-study-shows-1561656?amp=1&utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true
amercer
AG
I had written a reply to that, but your thread was deleted by the time I hit post. I think there are interesting things to discuss, but I don't think those discussions are possible here. (And certainly not on F16 where that topic is also posted)
Post removed:
by user
TXTransplant
I think "open up" varies by where you live. Things are pretty open here in Texas and Florida. Compare that to California where they are still in a pretty strict lockdown.

But, really what I mean is, once the majority of adults have ACCESS to a vaccine, ALL restrictions should be lifted - masks, online school, 6 ft social distancing (I'm all for practicing 3 ft social distancing all the time), restrictions on large gatherings, etc.

As I said in my first post, once vaccine distribution gets to steady state, the date at which life can return to "normal" should be able to be predicted (based on the criteria I suggested). This is a message that leaders need to be communicating.

Once the vaccine is available to everyone, if they so choose to get it, the burden of "we need to protect each other" needs to shift to "protect yourself".

It's a complete shift in thinking/messaging that needs to happen.
notex
AG
The first rule is if something doesn't work stop doing it.

GAC06
AG
amercer said:

Where I live there will be shutdowns until we are under 5/100,000. I assume masks will be required until fall. I don't know how long the public will comply with that.

I'm in the bluest of blue places, but the current numbers tell me that a lot of people aren't following the rules now, so it's hard to imagine many will when things start looking better.

That's convenient because by fall we can worry about the flu or new strains or a "fourth wave". Mask up and stay safe.
tysker
AG
Fitch said:

My primary concern is for my kids and going back to school. That's it. Don't care too much about shopping or restaurants, maybe movies but that's a function of the industry as whole.

Our kids are still virtual because the mitigation rules in place by the ISD (portable plastic barriers, phones at lunch b/c kids are separated, less availability to sports/fine arts) make in-person seem overly burdensome and disruptive. MIght as well keep them at home. Once the mitigation rules go away, we'll likely revert back... But, and this is a Sir Mix-A-Lot big but, charts like this confirm my suspicion that most venues and ISDs will have no choice but to continue with mitigation practices through at least 2021 year-end (which will turn into May 2022 for school calendars) due to public fear and liability concerns. If the public, ISDs and TEA coudn't figure out the schools weren't a vector of transmission in July and August of last year (which we already knew by then) then why would ISDs suddenly change in July or August of this year? I hope I'm wrong but assuming things wont be different until told otherwise,

I also think once schools are mitigation-free, basically everything else follows...
amercer
AG
GAC06 said:

amercer said:

That's convenient because by fall we can worry about the flu or new strains or a "fourth wave". Mask up and stay safe.

I'm not planning to ever don a mask again, but they have been exceptionally successful against the flu this year.
Beat40
amercer said:

GAC06 said:

amercer said:

I'm not planning to ever don a mask again, but they have been exceptionally successful against the flu this year.

Maybe they have. I think they have helped. It could also be distancing and the fact that people are actually staying home when they feel sick.

Just to many variables to single out one thing for sure.
Beat40
culdeus said:

I think the question, essentially, the OP is asking is when can we get back to living as normal.

I'd like to walk in a store without wearing a mask. I'd like to go to an Astros game at full capacity with no mask and take my son.

Just because things are open doesn't mean things are normal.

I'm ready to get the vaccine in people so we can go back to living normally.
TXCityAggie
AG
I have now experienced this pandemic living in three different countries. I was in Guatemala for the first three months, in Texas for 2 months, and I've been in Colombia since late July. All three handled things very differently and all three seemed to follow the same pattern of an initial wave that lasted a few months, followed by a decline, followed by another wave.

Guatemala had a 4 pm curfew and closed restaurants, bars, etc. Texas was basically completely open during the time I was there. Colombia had one of the strictest lockdowns in the world for almost 6 months. All handled things differently but all followed the same pattern regarding cases. I do not believe lockdowns work.

We should focus on common sense measures like wearing masks, social distancing in public, etc. The lockdowns are pointless. Work on getting as many people vaccinated as fast as possible.
AggieSarah01
AG
Yes, some places are still really locked down. I'd be happy just to get lowered-capacity indoor dining back, as well as not force young children into masks while exercising. It's just wrong.
Gordo14
Well this thread got useless really quickly thanks to the usual suspects being broken records. I get it you don't understand how NPIs can limit the rate of transmission, and the importance of that.

This has been discussed many times before. Most experts believe we'll be at ~80% of normal in the April/May timeline (systemic risk to the function of society gone so masks maybe aren't important anymore), and completely normal in the June/July timeline (crowds at events, travel conditions to return to normal etc.). But people have to respect that a lot of things are changing from more contagious variants, the rate of vaccination, and othere. I do think those are realistic timelines barring unforseen circumstances. Giving a precise (mathematical or timeline) conclusion to things is not possible because there are still too many unknowns.
Gordo14
AggieSarah01 said:

Yes, some places are still really locked down. I'd be happy just to get lowered-capacity indoor dining back, as well as not force young children into masks while exercising. It's just wrong.

I mean that's fair, but 4,500 Americans dying from COVID every day is also wrong. I think it's resonable we try to prevent it from reaching 6,000+ deaths every day. The pandemic is what's wrong above all else.
GAC06
AG
"Usual suspects... broken record"

Followed by:

"This has been discussed many times before..."
GAC06
AG
And about NPI's, it looks like there's some dissent there

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3176542/last#last
Gordo14
GAC06 said:

"Usual suspects... broken record"

Followed by:

"This has been discussed many times before..."

Doesn't understand what the term broken record means. I don't post the reopening timeline on every thread regardless of subject. But good point.

Can't wait for you guys to hijack the next thread to make it about masks and how you think they do nothing because you don't like them. Then we'll talk about the bars being closed and how it's all about permenant government control. Nothing means anything so let's party like it's 2019. It's always really useful and insightful commentary.
Gordo14
GAC06 said:

And about NPI's, it looks like there's some dissent there

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3176542/last#last

Cool a single paper about the subject matter. Given that transmission of the virus is substantially lower than it naturally was at the beginning of the pandemic and every other respiratory virus has basically disappeared, I would say the evidence ia very much against this one paper.
GAC06
AG
Flagged for derailing
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.