Long term effects of Covid: what do we know?

1,832 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tx-Ag2010
Scotts Tot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm interested to hear a little perspective from some of you who do a lot more research and studying on Covid, what is currently understood regarding long term effects? There are plenty of people out there who cleared the infection almost a year ago now, so have there been some studies done on this at a population level?

I have friends my age (30s) who still practice quite a bit of caution, not because they're afraid of dying or getting sick, but because of potential long term side effects that they feel are still not known. I'm not sure if this is prudent, or hypochondria.

Thanks for any insight.
nukeaggie2000
AG
same here. 40ish and I'm still being cautious because of the unknown long-term affects. I don't think masks help much, but we are staying away from long periods indoors with strangers - outdoor eating, etc.
Petrino1
Ive posted this before, but Ive had lingering Covid symptoms for the past 7 months. They dont seem to be going away. Ive read that some people have experience lingering symptoms for up to 9 months.
amercer
AG
What we know:

No one is more than a year out from having Covid, so it's impossible to say if there will be effects longer than that.

All viral infections carry the risk of long term effects and other severe outcomes. These things are rare to very rare, but if 300 million people get infected, 1 in 10,000 events become very common.
20ags08
AG
There is also the long term effects that happen from the treatment of Covid.

My dad went into the Hospital on July 13th, finally got to come home December 26th. A majority of those 5 months was spent in Rehab facilities. Insurance finally kicked him out but he still has minimal use of his arms and legs.

All from being in a coma for over a month while being treated. That has completely turned our lives upside down. My mom cannot work anymore because he is totally dependent for just about everything.

Some doctors have said they aren't sure if he'll ever get back to his old self, some have said it just may take a long time.

He goes to see a neurologist in February, I have no found any research on Covid linked to nerve damage but who knows.
Post removed:
by user
Duncan Idaho
The randomness of it all is why I have been/will continue to take it seriously.

I've lost family members to it. I've had family members show extremely minor symptoms.

I've had co-workers get it and keep working. I've had co-workers get it and been out for a couple of weeks.

I mentioned this before but one of my coworkers is still experiencing "brain fog" more than a month out from "recovery".

Honestly, there isn't much I miss from the before times aside from going onsite to clients for projects but I got promoted to a new role, so that wouldn't be happening anymore anyway.

I finally cracked the code on homemade pizza, so I pretty much have no reason to go to a restaurant ever again outside of a social event.
Duncan Idaho
A baking steel, a 550 degree oven, the serious eats NY style dough, a simple sauce made with a can of san marzano tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and finish the last few minutes on broil.
culdeus
AG
Know a guy that is 5 months on and can't smell still and had a mostly minor case. His taste is still metallic. Oddly, water tastes funny still.

Has trouble sleeping.

He's basically thinking he's more or less smell blind for life now.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
That would help me quit boozing

Beer and alcohol tasted horrible when I lost taste and smell but was over the virus

Thankfully the Colorado koolaid tastes just fine again
TXTransplant
Same here, except I only drink wine. It's been about 5 weeks for me, and I'd say taste and smell is only 80-90%, depending on the circumstances. Decided to do dry January, and I don't feel like I'm missing much.
Jock 07
AG
culdeus said:

Know a guy that is 5 months on and can't smell still and had a mostly minor case. His taste is still metallic. Oddly, water tastes funny still.

Has trouble sleeping.

He's basically thinking he's more or less smell blind for life now.

This is what scares the **** out of me. I'm still early on but for the most part can't smell or taste. Certain things like soap or laundry detergent I can typically smell when held close to my nose but the taste, other than peanut butter being faint, is all but gone. And it seems that, of what I can smell at a close distance, comes and goes. I can tell salty vs sweet but recognizing flavors is gone.
Teslag
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

The randomness of it all is why I have been/will continue to take it seriously.

I've lost family members to it. I've had family members show extremely minor symptoms.

I've had co-workers get it and keep working. I've had co-workers get it and been out for a couple of weeks.

I mentioned this before but one of my coworkers is still experiencing "brain fog" more than a month out from "recovery".

Honestly, there isn't much I miss from the before times aside from going onsite to clients for projects but I got promoted to a new role, so that wouldn't be happening anymore anyway.

I finally cracked the code on homemade pizza, so I pretty much have no reason to go to a restaurant ever again outside of a social event.

This sounds great and all, but most of us prefer not to spend the rest of our days as pizza making hermits. No offense.
Aust Ag
AG
Seeing reports this morning that one in three recovered Covid patients end up back in the hospital within 5 months, and around one in eight dies. Many develop long-lasting effects (heart, liver kidney, etc).

Not good. I would have to assume most were older , but it doesn't say.

Source: UK Office for National Statistics.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Aust Ag said:

Seeing reports this morning that one in three recovered Covid patients end up back in the hospital within 5 months, and around one in eight dies. Many develop long-lasting effects (heart, liver kidney, etc).

Not good. I would have to assume most were older , but it doesn't say.

Source: UK Office for National Statistics.

This has to be some scare tactic journalism... they are probably pulling from a small group of patients that spent at least a month on the ventilator. It's also somewhat likely if these were among the most serious cases that they had some undiagnosed issues prior to getting COVID.

I bet if they follow around the group long enough that 1 in 8 dead will eventually rise to 8/8 (might take another 50 years but why not omit that detail).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.