SARS T-Cells still active 17 years later, with robust cross-reactivity to Covid-19

4,088 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bigtruckguy3500
AgsMyDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really great news here:
  • SARS T cells still active from 2003 infections
  • SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2 are VERY similar in T cell response
  • People who got SARS are unlikely to be infected with SARS-CoV-2
  • Could mean extremely long-lasting immunity
Quote:

Next, we showed that patients who recovered from SARS possess long-lasting memory T cells that are reactive to the N protein of SARS-CoV 17 years after the outbreak of SARS in 2003; these T cells displayed robust cross-reactivity to the N protein of SARS-CoV-2.

Quote:

Thus, SARS-CoV-2 N-specific T cells are part of the T cell repertoire of individuals with a history of SARS-CoV infection and these T cells are able to robustly expand after encountering N peptides of SARS-CoV-2. These findings demonstrate that virus-specific T cells induced by infection with betacoronaviruses are long-lasting, supporting the notion that patients with COVID-19 will develop long-term T cell immunity. Our findings also raise the possibility that long-lasting T cells generated after infection with related viruses may be able to protect against, or modify the pathology caused by, infection with SARS-CoV-2.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2550-z?flip=true
KlinkerAg11
AG
This explains why Asian countries are doing so well.

Not from strict rule following but cross immunity from SARS.
PJYoung
AG
KlinkerAg11 said:

Bam.
JP_Losman
AG
Did SARS spread that widely though?
I thought it was relatively rare by comparison
KlinkerAg11
AG
Very rare by comparison.

But seems like SARS like virus's have been trying to come out of that area awhile.

It's been a theory that Asian countries are just more exposed to SARS virus's without knowing.

Hints the theory, covid 19 clearly runs through people without immunity to it, lockdowns or not.
KlinkerAg11
AG
Too bad we never finished a SARS vaccine, it would have worked.
AgsMyDude
AG
KlinkerAg11 said:

Maybe a small factor but only 8,000 reported infections globally with SARS-COV-1
KlinkerAg11
AG
Just a wild theory I have that will probably be about as accurate as the 20 percent herd immunity theory.

To me there's just something with either cross immunity or a robust immune system with Asian counties. I just don't buy that lockdown spared them.
AgResearch
AG
bigtruckguy3500
KlinkerAg11 said:

I'm sure it doesn't hurt that there are a lot of wet markets in Asia, and likely more frequent jumps from animals to humans that fizzle out without the high infection rate, but the evidence doesn't exist yet to support your hypothesis. As you've already noted in other posts.
DadHammer
AG
Excellent news.
Muy
AG
When you get the antibody test do they test for T Cells?
Ragoo
AG
Muy said:

ttt. Donated blood today to get the antibody result. But also interested in the t-cell theory.
bigtruckguy3500
Ragoo said:

Muy said:

ttt. Donated blood today to get the antibody result. But also interested in the t-cell theory.
No. You can't really "test for T- cells." At least not as far as I'm aware.

T-cells are like general duty police officers that go around and arrest anyone that's causing trouble. If you're walking down the street and look threatening, like you're trying to hide from them as soon as you see them, or maybe kind of match the description of a robbery suspect, they'll investigate. And they may arrest and present you to jail where you'll get finger printed and your finger prints will be on file forever (helper T cells). Or they may just shoot you on the side of the road (killer T cells).

Antibody mediated immunity is more specific. These are like the detectives in the force, or a special task force. They're looking for very specific people, and can hone in very quickly on them. Once identified, they call in the various police/SWAT teams to do the actual door kicking and arresting.

Memory T cells (probably the most key here) are like a confidential informant that don't do much, but call in the other T cells when they see bad guys roaming around.

So the T-cells (which everyone has) will help your body develop antibodies, by capturing and killing rogue cells and foreign invaders, and presenting these cells to other cells that produce antibodies. In and of themselves they help with immunity, but they enhance the generation of antibodies as well. There's no specific way, as far as I know, to test for if your T-cells are good at recognizing COVID19. At least no reasonable cost effective approach.
AggieDoc10
AG
I believe you CAN test for T-cells. It's a special test, though, and not routine. I am asking my doc for it in January because I had a coronavirus that may have been SARS related a few years ago--received the lovely gift after an international conference. Never been so sick in all my years of life. Thought I was going to die. Never quite the same after that. However, I have been exposed more than once to COVID, and can't seem to get it (not that I want it!). I guess even with the T-cells an antibody test won't show it?
Big Al 1992
AG
Fantastic analogy. Thank you!
bigtruckguy3500
Probably specialized flow cytometry? Definitely a very special order test.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.