This is just a random thought on a day off.

Curious if anyone else is seeing this. I'm a nurse. I took care of three different patients last week (all women >65) who readmitted a month or so after recovering from Covid in the hospital. One was admitted for a ground-level fall after going home from rehab. She was anemic and also had an asymptomatic saddle PE. The other two were admitted for increasing weakness, anemia, and renal insufficiency.

All of them had WBC around 1.2-1.5 on admit with Hgb in the low 7 range. I cannot remember the differentials beyond that, I wish I had written down the breakdown. They were pretty significant drops from labs drawn around the time of prior discharge. No signs of bleeding, although all were on Eliquis.

All of them received remdesivir in their initial hospital stay and convalescent plasma. None of them got Toci to my knowledge. To my knowledge none of them had a history of neutropenia or anemia.

They consulted hematology on all three the day I went on vacation and wasn't able to talk to them about what they were thinking.

Anyone else seeing similar patterns? What would cause neutropenia in these patients a month later?