Brother-in-Law Has it. Questions for Our Docs, Others in the Know

3,537 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bushytailed
PlanoAg79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife's brother came down with Covid a few weeks ago in Nebraska. After about 5 days of symptoms (coughing, fever), he went to the ER, then to a hospital in Lincoln. He's 65, diabetic and overweight. He was given convalescent plasma, Remdesivir and steroids. He was feeling better, but he had pneumonia and it looks like it may be getting worse, according to his nurse. They are trying to keep his blood O2 up, and it is hanging around 91% when resting. He was on CPAP for a while, now on BiPAP with between 82% and 100% O2. They are considering giving him Lasix to help get fluid in lungs down. Does that sound right? We're getting the info second hand from his daughter.

What kind of questions should we be asking his nurses/doctor?
Any drugs that we should ask if they have considered?
Is he pretty close to having to go on a ventilator?

If you don't want to post a reply on the message board, feel free to PM me.

Thanks.
bay fan
S
I am sorry and hoping things look up.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Appropriate care. In line with everywhere. He needs full anticoagulation. You say steroids - make sure it is dexamethasone usually given 6mg IV daily or higher - BID, TID if more severe cases. Avoid the vent. Tolerate sats to low 80s. If he is tubed - prone him. I am sorry. He is sick. If it gets worse on vent - ECMO if they have the capability.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Need I point out that Marcus isn't getting paid for any of this?

You are the man!!!!!!!
robdobyns
AG
Ask the physicians if Nebraska has a right to try law. If they do ask them to ask for Leronlimab. It's finishing up a phase 3 study in severe/critical patients. There is no doubt that it works. Check out dr Bruce Patterson's TedX talk on you tube.
It literally saved patients back in March/April that were on ventilators and echmo. Was given under Emergency indication. FDA asked for RCT and discontinued the EIND usage. No side effects in 750 HIV patients.
Good luck!!!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PlanoAg79
AG
Thanks Marcus! Yes, they are giving him Decradon. Don't know the dosage, we can ask. They have run scans on his chest and legs (Dopler) looking for clots. Didn't have any. I think they are giving him blood thinners. They are having him lay on stomach with the BiPAP as much as he can for 24 hours. His wife called tonight with an improved report. Thought they were going to move him to ICU, but they are holding off for now. After proning 4 hours today, his blood O2 was at 97%.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Was excited about toci early similar to this. I hope lmab proves beneficial. Very difficult to get outside of clinical trial. Especially after toci experience. I cant get it here.
PlanoAg79
AG
Thanks. I'm passing along all the info to his wife. In fact, I sent her the link to this forum. Appreciate your and Marcus's time and expertise.
PlanoAg79
AG
My brother-in-law lost his fight with Covid this afternoon. They had to put him on a ventilator Monday, and today he went downhill fast. I think his medical caregivers did all they could, but he just had too many things going against him. I just want to give a great big thank you to all you folks with the medical cross symbol next to your names. You are all amazing and are making so much of an impact in people's lives.
OldArmy71
AG
I am so sorry for your loss. Terrible.
AggieAuditor
AG
Damn I'm sorry man. These close to home stories hurt.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Too familiar
cc_ag92
AG
So sorry for your loss
Capitol Ag
AG
Sorry for your loss Plano.
Jackal99
AG
So sorry. Wishing your family comfort.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Unfortunately an all too common story

Sorry for your loss friend
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
Very sorry for your loss! Praying for you and all of your family!
Shumba
AG
Sorry for youross Plano. Praying for you guys.
murphyag
AG
Very sorry for your loss. Your family will be in my prayers.
ursusguy
AG
Damn. Sorry for your loss.
Port of Hepatis
AG
Sorry for your loss.
Newoldarmy
AG
Sorry
bay fan
S
Very hard, so sorry to hear.
aggielifer79
AG
I'm so sorry to hear. Sounds like you were a good and loving BIL.
bushytailed
AG
I am so very sorry, Plano. Your family will be in my prayers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.