Trends in PA

2,578 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by nortex97
Post removed:
by user
cc_ag92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for sharing. It's interesting to read what's happening in other places.
Stay safe!
Federale01
AG
What part of PA are you in? Is it worse in certain parts of the state?
Post removed:
by user
CapCityAg89
AG
So did your area peak back in April or just Philly? Stay safe.
Federale01
AG
Thanks. Yeah, I spent a long weekend in Lewistown a few months ago. Most people there were extremely lackadaisical about masks or distancing. I have also spent about a week in rural NY and CT, both of which were taking it far more seriously than those folks in PA were. Coming up from MD it was a bit of a shock to see the difference.

Best of luck I getting through it all.
Post removed:
by user
Iowaggie
AG
I think it is surging in a lot of rural places now throughout the country that weren't dealing with it as much before.

I don't have a great explanation for it and would love to find out more, but part of me believes it is the natural path for a virus. Start big in cities where it is easily transmitted, eventually work your way to the smaller rural areas.
Those rural areas that were hit early probably just had more interactions. I don't know. Again, would like to hear reasons for this.
Post removed:
by user
Federale01
AG
Thanks for the charts. To an extent you may be right. If the whole government top to bottom would have spoken with one voice about it, maybe voluntary usage would have gone up.

Again, best of luck. We met a lot of good people along the way on the trip and PA is beautiful country. I hope it subsides quickly.
Post removed:
by user
nortex97
AG
JJMt said:

I think that's part of it. In addition, another factor may be that people in rural areas got complacent. When it didn't hit here as hard at first, most people around here bought into the line that it's simply a Democrat conspiracy (and I'm saying that as a Republican) or an unwarranted infringement on their Constitutional rights. At my church, which is fairly large for the area, it's back to full attendance and no one wears a mask. At most stores (other than Walmart for some reason), literally no one will be wearing a mask.

I wonder if the government had tried to persuade, rather than force, people to wear masks if it would have made any difference?
Not really. The issue isn't mask usage (this is wholly unscientific and just virtue signalling; no government on earth has provided/mandated full surgical mask compliance), it's the natural seasonality of ILI.

Coronaviruses, like the flu, survive better in cooler/drier air (indoor air is especially dry now vs. summer in most buildings north of the mason dixon line especially.)

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.