I'm now on day 7

20,300 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DCAggie13y
Diyala Nick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HotardAg07 said:

I have a hypothesis that super spreader events may occur in restrooms at offices/public buildings.

My hypothesis is based on the studies (e.g. https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0013318) that show that the virus can be passed in an infected person's stool and that flushing the toilet can aerosolize the virus. If the virus is aerosolized in this manner in an indoor, low humidity, cool environment, then people wearing cloth masks or surgical masks even would not probably have much protection.

I know a couple people who have gotten it where it seemed like a public restroom was their only major exposure point. It's also possible i suppose that someone wiped themselves and didn't wash their hands well enough and contaminated some surface. I just don't see many findings about super spreading events from contacting surfaces.

This makes a lot of sense. Those same restrooms also suffer from very poor ventilation and high foot traffic that lingers.
Maroon Elephant
AG
Will start adding those tomorrow! Thanks for the advice!
VaultingChemist
AG
JJMt said:

How old is your daughter, what were her symptoms, and how severe were they?
She is 39. She had muscle aches (worse than flu), a mild headache the first two days, a mild fever for 7 days (never got above 101.5), fatigue, and she had trouble sleeping (similar to swine flu). She lost her sense of taste and smell on the 5th day, but it came back after 4 days,

How long did your sister feel fatigued after she recovered?
Maroon Elephant
AG
Day 14 has me feeling like a new man! Not a perfectly new man but one much better than a week ago. I even went for a short walk outside today, although it winded me pretty good. Lungs feel so much better, fevers are gone, headaches are gone.

Now it's just time to start my slow rebuild. I can tell it will take some time to get back lung capacity, I also don't have taste or smell back yet but we'll see.
aginlakeway
AG
Maroon Elephant said:

Day 14 has me feeling like a new man! Not a perfectly new man but one much better than a week ago. I even went for a short walk outside today, although it winded me pretty good. Lungs feel so much better, fevers are gone, headaches are gone.

Now it's just time to start my slow rebuild. I can tell it will take some time to get back lung capacity, I also don't have taste or smell back yet but we'll see.

Great news.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Maroon Elephant
AG
Day 16 and I feel great. I'm not ready to run a marathon but I can breath like most normal, healthy people now. The pneumonia effects will linger for a while but the Doxycycline antibiotics they gave me are doing work! Sufficed to say, the Covid took me down, but the pneumonia kept me down.

If you or someone you love get sick with Covid, watch for pneumonia closely, don't let them lay around too much. Make them get up and walk around. I didn't do this and it cost me dearly. Pneumonia likes it when you're nice and still.

If you know an older person who lives alone and gets this, I'd say just get them to the hospital early or as soon as any type of cough starts. If you can't have someone by your bedside (and you can't with this) the pneumonia is right around the corner. The medical experts on the board may have better advice but from slice of this, that's my opinion.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Was your pneumonia viral or a bacterial complication? Guessing bacterial since they prescribed the Doxy?
Capitol Ag
AG
Maroon Elephant said:

Day 16 and I feel great. I'm not ready to run a marathon but I can breath like most normal, healthy people now. The pneumonia effects will linger for a while but the Doxycycline antibiotics they gave me are doing work! Sufficed to say, the Covid took me down, but the pneumonia kept me down.

If you or someone you love get sick with Covid, watch for pneumonia closely, don't let them lay around too much. Make them get up and walk around. I didn't do this and it cost me dearly. Pneumonia likes it when you're nice and still.

If you know an older person who lives alone and gets this, I'd say just get them to the hospital early or as soon as any type of cough starts. If you can't have someone by your bedside (and you can't with this) the pneumonia is right around the corner. The medical experts on the board may have better advice but from slice of this, that's my opinion.

Great advice. So glad you're better!
goodAg80
AG
I wish some doctors would post here.

I am glad you are recovering M.E.

One of the hard things about the virus is that it is causing a lot of small blood clots to form. This is a reason that the symptoms vary so much. These are cutting off blood to various organs. This could also explain lingering effects from the virus.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR: I have heard that taking aspirin can reduce the clotting. A doctor can proscribe anti-coagulants.

The other hard thing is that for some people the body overreacts and the immune response starts damaging the body. This can very be serious and lead to quick death.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR: If you have symptoms of body distress (lungs in particular), you should get to a doctor.
WesMaroon&White
AG
It took me 2 months to finally stop randomly coughing up weird chunky white phlegm after having minor Covid symptoms that coincided with a positive test at the end of July. I wish you better.
SkiMo
AG
SkiMo said:

GAC06 said:

That's terrible and I'm sorry for your loss. If the test was negative, why did you post it here?
I posted it because it seems suspicious. And they did a quick test which has a higher chance of false positives. I never said it was covid but it sounds awfully suspicious with being sick 10 days then having breathing issues that result in death.

I'm not trying to create some narrative. I'm talking about a strange and sudden death from an otherwise healthy person that followed a similar pattern to other covid related deaths.
Just to follow up...it was confirmed she had covid.
Tabasco
AG
SkiMo said:

SkiMo said:

GAC06 said:

That's terrible and I'm sorry for your loss. If the test was negative, why did you post it here?
I posted it because it seems suspicious. And they did a quick test which has a higher chance of false positives. I never said it was covid but it sounds awfully suspicious with being sick 10 days then having breathing issues that result in death.

I'm not trying to create some narrative. I'm talking about a strange and sudden death from an otherwise healthy person that followed a similar pattern to other covid related deaths.
Thanks for the follow-up. Crazy!
AgsMyDude
AG
SkiMo said:

SkiMo said:

GAC06 said:

Man, that is horrible. Feel for the husband, especially with the CPR part, rough.

Also sucks how inaccurate those rapids are, PCR or bust.
deadbq03
AG
WesMaroon&White said:

It took me 2 months to finally stop randomly coughing up weird chunky white phlegm after having minor Covid symptoms that coincided with a positive test at the end of July. I wish you better.
You might find this interesting... autopsies of Covid patients are revealing that Covid is making cells in the lungs fuse together to form abnormal cells with multiple nuclei.

"The findings indicate that COVID-19 is not simply a disease caused by the death of virus-infected cells but is likely the consequence of these abnormal cells persisting for long periods inside the lungs."

So your phlegm may have been your body getting rid of all these bogus cells.

https://scitechdaily.com/investigations-of-deceased-covid-19-patients-reveal-lung-damage-caused-by-persistence-of-abnormal-cells/
Maroon Elephant
AG
Sorry for the delayed response. I guess it was bacterial? I talked to a PA friend of mine and he said they only prescribe that to fight bacterial, secondary infection.
Texaggie7nine
Glad you are doing well.

I am sad to report. I can now smell **** again when using the restroom.
7nine
WesMaroon&White
AG
My doctor had a theory that it was associated with viral lung scaring and the bodies process of working it out of the lungs. The X-ray did not show much. If it persisted longer than 3 months, more test would have been on order.
Builder93
AG
I tested positive for Covid on Nov 4 after finding out I was exposed (very briefly) on October 31.

I had a headache and felt sick on Nov 3 but thought nothing of it. My temp was actually low. It mostly went away on the 4th and I found out at the end of the day that my friend tested +. On the 4th while at work, though, I noted that I felt like I couldn't focus or get much done. My son and I both got tested evening of the 4th. Results came back on the 5th. I was positive. My son was negative. I have had very mild symptoms other than the fatigue. Noticed a little congestion but I could still breath through my nose. My chest hurt for a couple of days but mostly in my ribcage and shoulders. Breathing didn't seem to be affected much. My eyes were slightly achy also, but mostly in the morning when waking. Sleeping was difficult from the chest discomfort and my heart beating hard but not fast. Getting up in the morning was a beating, like the trip from the mattress to the floor was a deadlift.

The thing that has hit me hardest is the fatigue, I slept up to 15 hours a day at one point. I am pretty healthy, not overweight, eat well, active, etc. The doctor always looks at my chart and says I'm in pretty good shape for my age (49). I think it's the genes. My mom is the same way. Thanks, Mom. Anyway...

I have noticed now that I'm 2 weeks out from the start of symptoms that my breathing feels dryer than before (could be the weather) but that my energy level is just not what it was before Covid. My O2 levels have been between 94-99 for the last 3 days. Maybe getting moving more will help that.

TLDR: 2 weeks out from onset of symptoms. Mild symptoms except for fatigue. Anyone else experience this?
Newoldarmy
AG
Nothing to share but glad you're somewhat better!
swagfan
Builder93 said:

I tested positive for Covid on Nov 4 after finding out I was exposed (very briefly) on October 31.

I had a headache and felt sick on Nov 3 but thought nothing of it. My temp was actually low. It mostly went away on the 4th and I found out at the end of the day that my friend tested +. On the 4th while at work, though, I noted that I felt like I couldn't focus or get much done. My son and I both got tested evening of the 4th. Results came back on the 5th. I was positive. My son was negative. I have had very mild symptoms other than the fatigue. Noticed a little congestion but I could still breath through my nose. My chest hurt for a couple of days but mostly in my ribcage and shoulders. Breathing didn't seem to be affected much. My eyes were slightly achy also, but mostly in the morning when waking. Sleeping was difficult from the chest discomfort and my heart beating hard but not fast. Getting up in the morning was a beating, like the trip from the mattress to the floor was a deadlift.

The thing that has hit me hardest is the fatigue, I slept up to 15 hours a day at one point. I am pretty healthy, not overweight, eat well, active, etc. The doctor always looks at my chart and says I'm in pretty good shape for my age (49). I think it's the genes. My mom is the same way. Thanks, Mom. Anyway...

I have noticed now that I'm 2 weeks out from the start of symptoms that my breathing feels dryer than before (could be the weather) but that my energy level is just not what it was before Covid. My O2 levels have been between 94-99 for the last 3 days. Maybe getting moving more will help that.

TLDR: 2 weeks out from onset of symptoms. Mild symptoms except for fatigue. Anyone else experience this?

Pretty much described it for me. I'm on the same timeframe as you. Definitely in a fog most of the day.
cc_ag92
AG
Two things.... my healthy 19yo is on her 14th day since diagnosis and her second day without an extended nap. Once we got the headache under control, the fatigue was her most obvious symptom. She says she feels good today, though. She actually cleaned the house and did laundry today because she was bored since I returned to work after my quarantine for exposure! Hopefully your energy returns soon!!

Second, since you went to work when you were symptomatic, did anyone else get it that you know of?
NASAg03
Newoldarmy said:

Nothing to share but glad you're somewhat better!
Same here. During the middle of it I couldn't do work from home because it was too tiring. Could barely stay away for 12 hours.

2 weeks after onset of symptoms I was trying to run. Could do maybe 1 mile. Was very hard. Improved quickly after a few weeks. Was back to my full workouts after a month.

Still a nagging cough, but I've always had that, and living at elevation with cold dry air doesn't help.
Builder93
AG
I was only around 2 people at work and both have tested negative. I was not in very close proximity for very long.

My wife has been tested twice a week apart and both came out negative but she has most of the same symptoms I had. Her breathing is labored more than mine but she also has a history of asthma. We've been keeping an eye on her O2 levels. They dip at times to the low 90's but are generally above 96.

My son tested negative but he developed a low grade fever yesterday.

If my daughter gets it, we'll probably just quarantine for the rest of the year. She's been doing a pretty good job at keeping her distance within the house.
Builder93
AG
swagfan said:

Pretty much described it for me. I'm on the same timeframe as you. Definitely in a fog most of the day.
I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one who feels foggy. I start at the computer with visions of elaborate spreadsheets and when it comes time to ramp up the brain power I find myself staring blankly through the screen.
cc_ag92
AG
It's a weird virus. Not a single one of our daughter's close contacts got sick or tested positive. Maybe your daughter will escape.

I hope the rest of your family recovers quickly!

Was your wife tested with the quick test, send away (can't think of the correct term), or both?
Builder93
AG
None of ours were the quick test. When we asked around, the consensus was that the quick test was not reliable.

And thanks everybody for the responses and well wishes.
cc_ag92
AG
That's why I was wondering if that's what she had since it sounds like she clearly has it.

Best wishes for recovery for everyone
DCAggie13y
AG
Builder93 said:

I havent had it but I personally know 4 people who did get it.

Healthy guy in his late 30s got it pretty bad. Had a rough go for 4-6 weeks at home.

2 unhealthy people in their 40s with multiple underlying conditions. Mild symptoms that lasted a few days. Like a mild cold.

11 year old, completely asymptomatic.

None required medical care.

The odd thing is that the healthier person I know had a more difficult time than the obese smokers with asthma. Wierd.
Newoldarmy
AG
Yeah, this is the weirdest part of this whole thing. The random nature of the severity of a few of the cases is just so unpredictable. I'm sure we'll one day look back with more knowledge and have a good basis of understanding of the why of all of it.
DCAggie13y
AG
The only thing I can think of is Vitamin D for the people I know. The healthy guy who got it bad was locked into his apartment in Spain and didn't go outside or supplement Vitamin D. He's also pale and doesn't get much sun in general.

The 3 who did fine live in Texas and go outside often.

I think there have been some studies showing Vitamin D deficiency make it worse.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.