Tociluzimab ineffective in COVID-19......

3,603 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by culdeus
Marcus Aurelius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2028836?query=featured_home

Bummer. I wanted it not to be true. But my gut lately felt this to be the case. Anecdote - but it seems it was more effective in the beginning of this disaster. Not so much lately. I haven't used it in mos. Dexamethasone likely playing a role in that. Disclaimer however - some flaws in this study with wide confidence intervals.
Aggie95
AG
Hearing Remdisivir is also not effective as previously thought.
plain_o_llama
What does the Covid hospital toolkit include at the moment?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
dex, CVP, anticoagulation, avoid vent, proning, accept lower sats.
Keegan99
AG
Surprising. Seen to recall you had at least one pt where you were certain toci saved his life given the rapid and stark results.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Multiple actually. But - that's why we do DBRPCTs.
AgResearch
AG
Aggie95 said:

Hearing Remdisivir is also not effective as previously thought.
Aggie95
AG
Watched a dr the other day say multiple recent studies contradict early reports of its success.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Re remdesivir. NEJM published paper showed reduced recovery time. Other studies including Jama paper showed no benefit. It did get FDA approval. We are using it. Requires ID approval. It is being used less here.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Pre-print RCT data provided today demonstrating convalescent plasma failed to show mortality benefit or progression of disease benefit.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Yeah I had high hopes for toci

Unfortunate
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
amercer
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Pre-print RCT data provided today demonstrating convalescent plasma failed to show mortality benefit or progression of disease benefit.

Unfortunate, but maybe not surprising. How much plasma do you give per patient? Google tells me that total IgG per ml is 70mg or so. The Regeneron cocktail is 8 Grams of high affinity anti Covid IgG.

Plus, antibody treatment is probably only effective early.
Pelayo
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Multiple actually. But - that's why we do DBRPCTs.
CI were very wide and results not s.s.

What do you think of the inclusion and exclusion criteria? At what point did you pull the trigger, any set O2 requirement etc, and what has changed in the average presentation over months that has you using it less?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
We had ferritin > 1000, CRP > 200 as requisites for toci. So sicker population. Hospital cracked down on it several mos ago. I couldn't get it. The pre print of this paper was available a mo ago. Hospital was all over it. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ as usual. For profit hospital.
culdeus
AG
What else is being watched? Lemorilab?
Pelayo
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

We had ferritin > 1000, CRP > 200 as requisites for toci. So sicker population. Hospital cracked down on it several mos ago. I couldn't get it. The pre print of this paper was available a mo ago. Hospital was all over it. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ as usual. For profit hospital.
Not surprised. Thanks.

Diyala Nick
AG
AgsMyDude
AG
Marcus, have you seen this yet?

https://www.recover-europe.eu/tocilizumab-effective-in-treating-sickest-covid-19-patients/

Quote:

The early findings, which are yet to be published, come from the REMAP-CAP trial, sponsored by the UMC Utrecht in Europe and led by Imperial College London and ICNARC in the UK. They show that treatment with the immune modulator tocilizumab was 99 per cent more likely to reduce deaths and time spent in intensive care among critically ill patients with severe COVID-19, compared to patients
Marcus Aurelius
AG
No. Thx. Spot on IMO - see the above comments. The negative paper looked at less sick pts. Frustrating and I still believe it helps the sickest cytokine storm pts.
culdeus
AG
culdeus said:

What else is being watched? Lemorilab?

Looks very likely to be approved this week.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.