In most sports, playing the game is not the problem

1,269 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rubble
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not surprising, but it's good to see the evidence bearing this out.

WSJ article (subscription)

Quote:

The NFL season has been sacked by bursts of Covid-19 cases over the last several weeks. Games have been postponed. Teams have been shut down. Safety protocols have been overhauled.

Yet there's a sliver of hope for footballand many other sportsin this rash of cases. The virus doesn't appear to have spread from team to team on the field. That echoes the experience of other professional sports that have played during the pandemic without transmitting the virus during competition.

It's everything else that's the problem. Traveling and sharing a locker room are more suspect than humongous people tackling one another. And one ritual may be scarier than everything else: having dinner together.

Breaking breadas a team or in small gatheringsplayed a starring role in team outbreaks at Notre Dame and on both the Tennessee Titans and New England Patriots, for example. But those teams' subsequent football games didn't create additional problems: their opponents tested negative.

Most teams haven't disclosed how they think Covid outbreaks have begun, but the leagues have flagged where they think problems lie by how they change their protocols. The NFL is focusing more on what happens off the field than on. Sitting down to a meal with a team member who subsequently tests positive for coronavirus now may get the guest a mandatory invitation to a five-day isolation periodwith no option to escape by registering negative tests.

"We still see no evidence of on-field transmission from football-related activities," Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL's chief medical officer, said recently.

Quote:

He explained that close contact between two masked people outdoors probably posed less risk of transmission than two people in a car together, unmasked, for just a few minutes. Other examples of concerns were people sharing living quarters or eating meals together. Playing football against someoneor practicing togetherwasn't on the list of concerns he rattled off.

The bigger problems come when teams are doing anything other than playing football. That's when they're in cities where virus rates are increasing. It's also when they're engaging in activities that could lead to more viral spread, with the two best players on the Patriots as the unfortunate example of this.

Days after Patriots quarterback Cam Newton tested positive earlier this month, cornerback Stephon Gilmore, the NFL's reigning defensive player of the year, registered a positive test as well. But the team doesn't believe the virus was spread inside the facility, a person familiar with the matter said. It turned out Newton and Gilmore had dinner together on the same day Newton took the test that would later come back positive.

Quote:

Major League Baseball reached a similar conclusion earlier in the year, for a sport played with far less contact between players. Their lucky finding came after the infected Miami Marlins played the Philadelphia Phillies, who repeatedly tested negative for the virus after the teams played.

At least one sport may not be able to embrace this reality: hockey. The NHL successfully made it through its season by sealing players away from the outside world, with regular testing and mandatory preventive measures. Those measures may well have prevented the kind of on-ice transmission described in an alarming recent study published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Florida health officials recounted a June recreational hockey game in Tampa Bay during which a presymptomatic but infectious player appeared to have transmitted coronavirus to eight out of 10 teammates, five out of 11 players from the opposing team, and one rink staff member.

The game was clearly the problem. The amateur league players, unlike their professional counterparts, didn't spend time with each other in the week before the game. The 15 people infected experienced the signs and symptoms of Covid within five days of the game; 13 had positive test results and two weren't tested.

"The ice rink provides a venue that is likely well suited to Covid-19 transmission as an indoor environment where deep breathing occurs, and persons are in close proximity to one another," the authors wrote. "The high proportion of infections that occurred in this outbreak provides evidence for SARS-CoV-2 transmission during an indoor sporting activity where intense physical activity is occurring."
Capitol Ag
AG
So how many fights were there in the amature hockey game?

Honestly, they sit right next to each other while off ice and they are inside. Probably had a lot to do with it.
twk
AG
Capitol Ag said:

So how many fights were there in the amature hockey game?

Honestly, they sit right next to each other while off ice and they are inside. Probably had a lot to do with it.
With hockey, there's really no good way to spread the players out who aren't on the ice. I'll be interested to see what they do with basketball. I didn't watch any of the NBA bubble games, but it would seem to me that you could spread out your bench more for basketball than you can for hockey. Volleyball will probably give the schools some insight as to what needs to be done for basketball.
GAC06
AG
Professional athletes aren't exactly an at-risk group. Have there been any serious cases?
Capitol Ag
AG
GAC06 said:

Professional athletes aren't exactly an at-risk group. Have there been any serious cases?
None. Quite a few positive cases, not one was serious at all. I do not expect their to ever be one either given that these people's immune systems are probably as strong as their bodies are.

Which is why I am always skeptical hearing about not athletes (as in not a D1 or professional athlete) dying from Covid even though they were "in great shape". That is such a subjective thing but is used by some to try to speculate that D1 and pro athletes are at risk too. Running 2-3 times a week or working our occasionally isn't the same and I would postulate that these people are very much outliers and extremely rare situations where there were extenuating circumstances or a preexisting condition that just wasn't known about yet...Keep in mind as well that pro and college athletes literally have doctors and medical people on call for them at all times. They should catch almost anything that might be missed by the general population.
GAC06
AG
That's kind of what I figured. Yet the reporting is about how the NFL season has been "sacked" by a "rash of cases". What a farce
Capitol Ag
AG
GAC06 said:

That's kind of what I figured. Yet the reporting is about how the NFL season has been "sacked" by a "rash of cases". What a farce
100% agree. Fear mongering headlines get more clicks than actual truth. A case isn't really newsworthy other than the inconvenience of a start player having to quarantine. That's it.

Oh, and before someone replies the obvious, yes, if they test positive they need to stay away from the actual people that are "at risk". We get that totally, as does the athlete. Doubt they take their quarantine time to visit their grandmother who is in poor health already.
JP_Losman
AG
when i played football in high school, never did i think i was going to catch a cold from someone on the other team
amercer
AG
Linemen are incredible athletes, but a lot aren't healthy. Still they are young so probably low risk.
oldag941
AG
COVID long-term effects to the victim include chronic fumblitis - exhibit A: Ezekiel Elliot
Rubble
AG
oldag941 said:

COVID long-term effects to the victim include chronic fumblitis - exhibit A: Ezekiel Elliot
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.