Question on drinking fountains

1,193 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by joho
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Genuinely curious about this:

Is it still necessary for these to be placed "Out of order" and unusable?

Ditto the question on self-service fountain drinks at restaurants?

Are these still considered "high risk" activities? Is the risk any greater than grabbing the handle of a door and opening?
Capitol Ag
AG
Almost all restaurants I have been to have their self service fountains for sodas, teas etc open. Most I have been to actually here in TX. As for drinking fountains, the ones that pour from the top into a cup are open at the schools I work at. The only part closed is the type one uses their mouth to drink out of (the traditional type). I personally can't see how they would be a threat, but maybe they are.
ORAggieFan
I laugh at this. Public parks here have drinking fountains out of order. Airports have them all open. What is the difference....
coolerguy12
AG
I use drinking fountains pretty freely. Church, park, stores, airport etc. love when you find one with ice cold water. It's a great surprise.
emac0002
AG
Username checks out
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Drinking fountains were specifically designed to try and prevent disease spread. That is why it goes in an arc.
cc_ag92
AG
I did not know that, but it makes sense.

The only problem with that is that children often put their entire mouth on it. I spent a year substitute teaching in my twenties and haven't used a drinking fountain since. I'm not a germaphobe by nature, but that completely disgusted me.
toolshed
AG
Shai-Hulud said:

Drinking fountains were specifically designed to try and prevent disease spread. That is why it goes in an arc.

Until you get behind that one kid who wants to suck the water out of the spout!! I never understood this when I saw it as a kid!
nai06
AG
This feels pertinent

joho
The birds that I've seen using the drinking fountains at our neighborhood park do not use them in a sanitary manner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.