HBU on campus housing

2,333 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by torrid
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter goes to Houston Baptist. Just like a lot of things they are doing things that are borderline nonsensical.

She lives in an on campus apartment. They aren't allowed to have anyone other than the people on the lease in the apartment. They can load up the car with six people and go out to eat, go to church and the mall, but when they get home they have to separate and can't visit each other inside the apartment.

She was also yelled at by an administrator for jogging without a mask outside in the sunshine.
Capitol Ag
AG
rlb28 said:

My daughter goes to Houston Baptist. Just like a lot of things they are doing things that are borderline nonsensical.

She lives in an on campus apartment. They aren't allowed to have anyone other than the people on the lease in the apartment. They can load up the car with six people and go out to eat, go to church and the mall, but when they get home they have to separate and can't visit each other inside the apartment.

She was also yelled at by an administrator for jogging without a mask outside in the sunshine.
This is why she needs headphones. Hard to hear the admin with Tool cranked up. Or whatever she listens to.

Are there people actually watching to see if anyone goes into her apartment? Damn good reason to just live off campus.
rlb28
AG
Capitol Ag said:

rlb28 said:

This is why she needs headphones. Hard to hear the admin with Tool cranked up. Or whatever she listens to.

Are there people actually watching to see if anyone goes into her apartment? Damn good reason to just live off campus.
LOL! Glad you asked. I forgot to mention that they had a friend over and posted the picture on Instagram. Someone at residence life saw the picture and they are "in trouble". Not sure what that means at this point. So, yes they are watching.

They have RAs over the units and the RA has caught them once or twice when their friends were leaving the apartment.

Off campus around HBU is almost non-existent. Bad neighborhood.
JDL 96
It's all about regulating and control. The RA didn't say you are going to get sick. She said "you're in trouble ". I get to punish you.

Authoritarian goons are having a heyday. At all levels. Feds, governors, judges, city and county leaders, HR, school admins, even RAs.
Aust Ag
AG
My son is at Trinity and he says it's crazy, all the rules and regs. Can't have more than 2 people at a table in the cafeteria. Can't have more than 2 people in your dorm room. His football workouts, all with masks and running has to be 6' apart. With masks.
cc_ag92
AG
Daughter is at UNT- they aren't allowed to have visitors in their dorms. Apparently they'll get fined. She is allowed to have friends from the same dorm in her room, though. She's glad she has a friend who lives off-campus.

My niece is at Texas State. They aren't allowed visitors in their rooms, even from the same dorm.

A friend's son in Virginia just got written up for having people in his on-campus apartment. It was a warning this time, but he and his roommates could be removed from on-campus housing if it happens again.

It's all over. It sucks for them.

two93ags
AG
My daughter opted to live off campus at her university and is extremely glad she did so, because the campus rules are so restrictive. All clubs are banned from meeting in person. She's taken to spending even less time on campus because it's nearly impossible to meet anyone new under the current rules. Her boyfriend was written up in his dorm for going into the room across the hall. The KGB wanna be RA saw him on camera. Same dude knocked on their door because he heard multiple voices in the room. There are 4 guys living there & they were playing video games. The RA still used it as an excuse to search the room. He's planning to move off campus in the spring. His brother's school is even worse. They are not allowed to leave the "bubble" and two students were actually sent home for going through a McDonalds drive-thru a few miles away.

One of her closest high school friends left her campus barely one week after her parents moved her in, because even being a rule-follower, she was written up for a violation of Covid rules in her dorm and she decided there was no point in her remaining there if that was going to be her experience.

My Aggie senior will spend his entire year likely never setting foot on campus. His whole social life has been dismantled, and he spends most of his time alone. It is heart breaking.

These Universities are treating their students like they are such lucky inmates that should feel grateful just to be allowed near the campus. And yet, I read post after post from other parents, from different friends, all with college students who are struggling with loneliness, depression, wanting to drop out, etc.

When I see people falling all over themselves to insist that this distancing crap needs to continue indefinitely, this is the result. There are actually a lot of parents out there that think the schools haven't done enough because they see the virus as certain death. There just has to be a better way.
rlb28
AG
I fired off an email to HBU yesterday just highlighting common sense. Not saying I created anything, but my daughter said within a couple hours there were flyers on campus talking about filling out a survey to reinstate visitation. LOL!
Capitol Ag
AG
rlb28 said:

Capitol Ag said:

rlb28 said:

LOL! Glad you asked. I forgot to mention that they had a friend over and posted the picture on Instagram. Someone at residence life saw the picture and they are "in trouble". Not sure what that means at this point. So, yes they are watching.

They have RAs over the units and the RA has caught them once or twice when their friends were leaving the apartment.

Off campus around HBU is almost non-existent. Bad neighborhood.

Makes me think of the Mission Impossible theme being played every time a friend tries to leave the apartment. I'd come all "black ops" dressed out for fun! Also, don't post on Instagram. Plausible deniability is the key!
beerad12man
AG
Sounds like an incredible college experience.

Glad we are doing this to people with less of a chance to die than the flu. No way this can have long term, negative lasting effects on our youth.
rlb28
AG

Quote:

And yet, I read post after post from other parents, from different friends, all with college students who are struggling with loneliness, depression, wanting to drop out, etc.
We are dealing with this big time. And this coming from a girl who loves life, joined a sorority, involved in campus ministry, has tons of friends and couldn't wait to get out of our house and into college.
AggieSarah01
AG
This is all so incredibly sad and so darn maddeningly frustrating.
NASAg03
Use this as a teaching experience of how to affect change at HBU. She should put together a well thought out plan of why their current approach is bad and harmful, and what a better alternative is. Use facts, numbers, and supporting quotes from various doctors that we all post here.

• Write a letter or email to the president
  • Schedule a visit with the dean and president
  • Organize a petition
  • Organize a protest outside the president's residence

When all else fails, let he know you vote with your money. There are small ways she can remove money from the school while attending, without completely dropping out. She should let them know she will do this, and she is encouraging others as well.

If all else fails, you withdraw and attend a different university with more libertarian policies.

I'm not sure what the rules are at HBU re: drinking, boys in dorm rooms, or other "sins", but this should also be a learning experience that when you give into a controlling institution that wants to limit some freedoms "for your own good", that typically transfers over to other unexpected freedoms, also "for your own good".
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
Pelayo
AG
JDL 96 said:

It's all about regulating and control. The RA didn't say you are going to get sick. She said "you're in trouble ". I get to punish you.

Authoritarian goons are having a heyday. At all levels. Feds, governors, judges, city and county leaders, HR, school admins, even RAs.

this.

For business covid is a convenient, but poor, excuse to cut expenses and tolerate horrible customer service from their employees. Looking at you AA. All 'Cause 'safety'.

For the millions of pathetic small minded authoritarians who get their jollies from exercising power and enforcing inane rules to extremes, covid has been paradise.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Capitol Ag
AG
Pelayo said:

JDL 96 said:

this.

For business covid is a convenient, but poor, excuse to cut expenses and tolerate horrible customer service from their employees. Looking at you AA. All 'Cause 'safety'.

For the millions of pathetic small minded authoritarians who get their jollies from exercising power and enforcing inane rules to extremes, covid has been paradise.
Exactly
torrid
AG
All these rules, and at their age they have a relatively low risk.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.