Loss of sars-cov2 antibodies in milder cases..

2,915 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fitch
Marcus Aurelius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2025179

SIAP

This is intuitive. The sicker one gets the more robust the antibody response.
beerad12man
AG
Hasn't it already been showed that antibodies are a Terrible way to determine level of immunity?
samurai_science
Yes....the immune system is complicated.

With viruses some people never get sick and have no antibodies. It's all over the place.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
beerad12man said:

Hasn't it already been showed that antibodies are a Terrible way to determine level of immunity?
Not necessarily. Smallpox vaccine, with its antibody production that eradicated the disease from the planet, is a good example of humoral immunity effects against viral disease. It's complex, however, as T cell mediated immunity is also very important.

I believe most of the sars-cov2 vaccines, if not all, are attempting to develop S-spike protein neutralizing antibodies as this structure allows the virus to internalize into human cells via the ACE-2 receptor.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Something we have suspected as well.

We begin titering all CCP donations next week. Then labeling products Low or High titer.

Personally I'm very interested to see the results, and levels we see of High v Low titers.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
Marcus Aurelius
AG
This has huge implications for re-infection rates, and effectiveness of convalescent plasma. So ya'll are measuring quantitative antibodies in donors? Do you question the amount of symptoms/illness in donors?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Yes. Starting next week we will be testing and labeling convalescent plasma under a quantitative test.

We do qualify convalescent plasma donors according to symptoms and test results. In order for us to admit a donor into the convalescent plasma program
They had to have symptoms. We also test all donations for any detectable level of antibodies, we then call all positives and qualify them based on symptoms. If they had no symptoms we don't enroll them for ccp.

However we don't really measure symptom levels as we aren't a medical diagnosis or research organization. Our main goal is to meet patient needs for ccp.

Under the EUA released at end of August all blood centers have to test and label ccp as either lo/hi titer. (I don't remember the breakdown line of what they determine as low or high).
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Very cool.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
If you ever need any and can't get it from your local blood center, shoot me a pm. We have caught up on our local needs and are helping build the national
strategic stockpile by going full steam on collections and trying to keep some reserves if we
Have another wave.
CowtownEng
I would like to see more data. The graph which is shown within the OP's link contains a variety of slopes. It appears that antibody counts actually increased during the 90 time period for a few individuals, while during the same time period other individuals experienced marginal, moderate and even significant declines. I presume this is a factor of several common variables (e.g., age, sex, BMI, etc.)?
BiochemAg97
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

beerad12man said:

Not necessarily. Smallpox vaccine, with its antibody production that eradicated the disease from the planet, is a good example of humoral immunity effects against viral disease. It's complex, however, as T cell mediated immunity is also very important.

I believe most of the sars-cov2 vaccines, if not all, are attempting to develop S-spike protein neutralizing antibodies as this structure allows the virus to internalize into human cells via the ACE-2 receptor.

Most have also observed T-cell response in addition to the antibodies.
BiochemAg97
AG
What this really means is people should continue to be exposed rather than isolating. You want a second exposure while you still have an sufficient antibody titter so you boost the antibody production again.
DadHammer
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

What this really means is people should continue to be exposed rather than isolating. You want a second exposure while you still have an sufficient antibody titter so you boost the antibody production again.

This is a very very good point.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Welp, a data point of 1. (Me)

Did my last convalescent plasma donation this week and came back non reactive for antibodies on the qualitative test, so I didn't even make the second round for titer.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Wow. Perfect example. What were your symptoms? Severity?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Very similar to severe cedar allergies I get late winter/early spring.

Was sick over 4th of July. Congestion, no fever but felt feverish, malaise, lost taste/smell.

Lasted about 1 week.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Mild to be sure. Well, be safe.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Agree. Compared to several of my employees and their symptoms, I got lucky this summer. Still thing there is some body memory to the virus so any future infection will hopefully be mild as well, so we shall see.
bigtruckguy3500
Absolutely. You've got these things called memory B cells that, generally speaking, remember how to produce specific antibodies and can get triggered to produce them quickly. But, just like human memory, B cell memory also gradually fades over time. However more than likely over the course of years more so than months.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
So a new twist in the ever evolving response to COVID19. I donated convalescent plasma again this past Friday.
As noted, my previous donation turned up negative on the qualitative assay, so I did not receive a titer test and the donation was converted from CCP to FFP.

When I donated this past Friday I tested positive on the qualitative test, which then automatically reflexed to allow for the quantitative test to be performed.

Low titer is 0-11.99, high titer is considered 12.0 or greater. My results were a 2.44. and will be kept as low titer CCP for transfusion to COVID patients.

Just another quirk in the ever changing world we live in. A couple of my thoughts since that last result.

1. The assay had an error on my test and I was a false negative. No harm/no foul really.
2. The past 3 weeks we have had the crud's running through our family, cough, snots, typical cold symptoms that kids bring home from school. My completely unscientific and not medically informed thoughts the cold immune response (being caused by a coronavirus similar to CV19) prompted my immune system to restart producing antibodies in addition to fighting the other cold virus this boosting my antibody levels.
3. We had a mild re-infection run through the family and prompted the response

Marcus Aurelius
AG
Very interesting. Do you think it was covid during the second Infection?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Highly doubt it. No known exposures. And entirely different symptom profile.
Fitch
AG
Adaptive immune response is a beautiful thing.

(?)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.