Time frame to get test results

1,412 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BiochemAg97
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A close relation has nonelective surgery scheduled for Wednesday of next week in Houston

Tuesday afternoon (day before procedure) he is scheduled for mandatory Covid19 screening at 1400 hrs.

Surgery is at 0700 on Wednesday

I guess I haven't heard of a test protocol that had results in basically 12-18 hrs
AG
I assume it is a hospital lab doing the test? If so, those are turned quite quickly. My son was in the hospital for several days in June and they turned his COVID test in about 12 hours.
Aggie95
AG
tests done for surgical purposes are extremely fast....otherwise, they wouldn't be doing surgeries. My endocrinologist had to be tested last week (through the hospital) and had her results in 2 hours.
BiochemAg97
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

A close relation has nonelective surgery scheduled for Wednesday of next week in Houston

Tuesday afternoon (day before procedure) he is scheduled for mandatory Covid19 screening at 1400 hrs.

Surgery is at 0700 on Wednesday

I guess I haven't heard of a test protocol that had results in basically 12-18 hrs
Actually most test protocols are 4 hrs or less to run the actual test. Some tests are as fast as 15 min. The delay for most people getting results is from shipping to an offsite lab and backlog at the lab.

Hospital is likely doing the test on site at their lab. I imagine they handle the test volume in such a way that the surgery tests are done before surgery time. They don't exactly have to do all the tests in order.
Ag Natural
AG
Texas Medclinics are doing rapid results tests in 15 minutes.
BiochemAg97
AG
Ag Natural said:

I wonder what test they are using.

Abbott had an isothermal PCR test that would show a negative in 15 min, positives could be faster. There was some question about accuracy at one point. Abbott claimed it was from people putting the swabs in sample collection buffer instead of straight into the machine.

A bunch of new antigen tests are 15 min, but for some reason the state isn't considering a positive antigen test a confirmed positive.
Ag Natural
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Ag Natural said:

Abbott had an isothermal PCR test that would show a negative in 15 min, positives could be faster. There was some question about accuracy at one point. Abbott claimed it was from people putting the swabs in sample collection buffer instead of straight into the machine.

A bunch of new antigen tests are 15 min, but for some reason the state isn't considering a positive antigen test a confirmed positive.

From the website

The test is named Sofia 2 SARS Antigen FIA, the rapid-point-of-care test uses a fluorescent immunoassay analyzer for the rapid detections of SARS-CoV-2 in a nasal or nasopharyngeal specimen. The results are available in as little as 15 minutes. The sensitivity of the test (a measure of false negatives) is 96.7%, which compares very favorably to the lab-based tests which to this point have averaged 70%.
bigtruckguy3500
Ag Natural said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Ag Natural said:

From the website

The test is named Sofia 2 SARS Antigen FIA, the rapid-point-of-care test uses a fluorescent immunoassay analyzer for the rapid detections of SARS-CoV-2 in a nasal or nasopharyngeal specimen. The results are available in as little as 15 minutes. The sensitivity of the test (a measure of false negatives) is 96.7%, which compares very favorably to the lab-based tests which to this point have averaged 70%.
I don't trust those numbers. I've seen 2 people that were negative on the rapid but tested positive on a PCR swab done at the same time. Other than those 2 I've seen it pick up positives the same as PCR at least 4 or 5 times. Of course my observations don't constitute data, but the company's data sample was also pretty small.

SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Thx all
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Ag Natural said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Ag Natural said:

From the website

I don't trust those numbers. I've seen 2 people that were negative on the rapid but tested positive on a PCR swab done at the same time. Other than those 2 I've seen it pick up positives the same as PCR at least 4 or 5 times. Of course my observations don't constitute data, but the company's data sample was also pretty small.

The numbers quoted by the company are typical of data used to get FDA approval. Real world results often fall short, at least in part due to "operator error". The people developing and validating the test know the test very well and essentially that is all they do. A nurse in a clinic or a tech in a lab have a bunch of other things they deal with. Plus, even though they follow the manual perfectly, there are sometimes little details that don't make it into the instructions. Companies are always publishing service notes when they find customers doing something unexpected.

Take the Abbott test for example. Abbott people would have never considered trying with the swab in the buffer. The whole thing was designed to go from swab to machine. Every other RNA test for COVID involved putting the swab in the buffer so the people collecting the samples just did the same as for everything else and put the swab in the buffer. Oops, that doesn't work so well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.